We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Early start again (did I mention the steroids ?) and got a lot done today. Turned over the raised bed for potatoes and added compost from the bin, that was a lot of hard work, especially with one not really functioning hand. Sowed some first earlies (Duke of York, they'd run out of Red Duke of York). Next the oca, but it had diasappeared (something had nicked them) I found some nibbled ones down the back of potting bench, and managed to sow four, after all that it was down to a little gentle pottering, pulling the remains of the autumn radishes that failed, then going on a picking spree for the first ramen of the year, for tea (something light to make up for last night's fish & chip extravaganza) - so I have French tarragon, lovage, wild garlic, sorrel, chives, garlic chives, some radish leaves, hairy bittercress & white mustard

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What another beautiful day - I hope everyone got some garden time in the sun.

Wow Unrecordings I am glad you are back in action - it sounds like you have been very busy!

CAFCGirl I hope all went ok with the MRI. I had one some years ago on my brain and they are a bit scary if you haven't had one before but you come out feeling it wasn't so bad. Mind over matter and thinking happy thoughts is the best way. I hope results are quick and good news. x

Love your advice regarding herbs Suffolk Lass. I am learning so much from you all.

Well done for clearing those brambles Karmacat. I have lots of bramble to clear and it seems to be doubling in size every time I look at it. (So i dont look at it!)

I have been busy in the veg garden this week. Finishing prepping the asparagus bed and sowing some annual flower seed, planting spring onions, lettuce, spinach and chard all started in greenhouse. I also planted some peony, lily, ranunculus and gladioli.

Today we have been getting on with the bunny proof fencing which hopefully we will finish tomorrow as I have planted a bunny buffet today. Net over it for tonight.

In other news I have a slug in my greenhouse who has evaded capture for days. I will be out again tonight with the torch. I think I will get a pack of the nematodes. Does anyone know if I should keep strictly to the square metre guidance or can I water it a bit finer to cover a bigger area?

Have a lovely weekend all.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »
    In other news I have a slug in my greenhouse who has evaded capture for days. I will be out again tonight with the torch. I think I will get a pack of the nematodes. Does anyone know if I should keep strictly to the square metre guidance or can I water it a bit finer to cover a bigger area?

I'm not sure nematodes will work on the little critter, they're supposed to disrupt the reproductive cycle and killing baby slugs. I generally stretch the guidance a little

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First scan ?
    Take no notice of my industrial bravado (though I do enjoy them, almost fell asleep in one last year). You'll be in there 20 mins maybe for a basic head scan. They give you headphones, there's a panic button, and the staff are very attentive, so just close your eyes, think of what your gardening plans are and go with the flow, like trying to sleep on a train. Send me a PM if you're a little anxious

How very sweet of you. I've only just come back online. Pleased to say it went better than I expected.I did not however care for the head cage so kept my eyes shut from the point that went on. I ended up in two machines as Dr ha d requested another set of images. But on the whole, not as bad and no panic attack - WIN

Plus I finally built my mini wooden greenhouse so that's out on the deck ready for some outdoor seed sowing :T
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Baggins - a beer or cornmeal trap might be more effective for catching him\her?
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Baggins - you could try salt on paper under your seedlings but don't water them (you don't want them to absorb the salt) - then when your slippery thief slithers on it will die. Crushed up eggshells are also good for protection but won't kill the slugs. You don't want him telling his mates about your pantry! - I am sure you will have checked under your pots...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We spent about 6 hours out in the garden yesterday with a quick dump run first thing to beat the rush and a run up to the agricultural (tractor) shop to get the lawn-mower in for a service. The grass is already 6 inches long in places. It will be mid-month before we can cut the grass. I keep having that futile feeling as everything bursts into action at the same time in parts of my garden that are not on my plans yet.

We planted the 3 varieties of potatoes (first earlier are Pentland Javelin, then International Kidney, and Charlotte for salads) and some Kelvedon Wonder Peas after composting the beds and finishing removing the turves that had grown in one that was fallow last year. Two more beds to finish today for roots and onion sets and a double height raised bed for salad seeds today - I must pot on my newspaper-pot tomatoes and chillies so the cat sitter can keep them going while I am away walking for the next (nearly) fortnight - I almost resent going away at this time of year but I know I can plant beans and squashes when I get back.

We finally transplanted 3 ornamental plants that have been in a holding veg bed (will be roots) - one was so well established DH thought he was going for Australia at one point, trying to get the roots out! - Meanwhile I was in the destination bed, clearing a space. Oh my - who knew there could be that much bindweed root in one place! layer upon layer of the stuff, wound round and through everything. My young wisteria is in that bed - I may have to go there once the veg is all prepped and planted.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Late to the sowing seeds party, not grown from seeds for donkeys years so not overly hopefully but nothing ventured nothing gained and they were all in the sale so I don't have too much money invested. Have sown some Money maker, cherry Terenzo and beef Brandywine tomatoes, Jalapeno, and Partenon courgette in a seed tray. Just sown a few of each so fingers crossed!
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Massive bonfire for me today which was exhausting. Back to normal service tomorrow (fixing raised beds, and then hopefully sowing carrots, radishes & beetroot)

• unrecordings
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    How very sweet of you. I've only just come back online. Pleased to say it went better than I expected.I did not however care for the head cage so kept my eyes shut from the point that went on. I ended up in two machines as Dr ha d requested another set of images. But on the whole, not as bad and no panic attack - WIN

Plus I finally built my mini wooden greenhouse so that's out on the deck ready for some outdoor seed sowing :T

Yay !

Actually I fancy a little mini greenhouse myself

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure