We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March 2019 at 12:12PM
    Options
    By the way, all but 8 of my chillies and tomatoes have now germinated. I put the seed tray on top of the range (always on) for the bottom heat and then once they showed, moved them to the top of the gentler heat from the bug zapper, and then on to the window sill, turning them at least once a day to reduce them leaning towards the window. Some are nearly at 2 pairs of leaves and I plan to pot them on by dropping my newspaper "pots" into real pots in cutting compost before I go away next week, so my cat sitter can turn them and keep them going for me
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Here you go - link

Thanks - nice find that, I've copied & pasted into a little text file to archive away

I might try the trench method on some extra leggy tomato seedlings I need to get potted this week - that is - weather permitting. I think there are some cold nights coming at the weekend, so still too early to start putting stuff in unheated greenhouses (?)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Definitely too early in East Anglia to put in unheated Greenhouse. Especially my poor old thing with one broken and one missing pane! - Got a heater - one of these - link but need it sorting first.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Had lots of stuff going on in the last few weeks so haven't really done any sowing but I've spent hours at the allotment in the last couple of weeks settling the new chickens in :D

BUT, I've caught up with myself now more or less and planted out all my potatoes. We got some more onion sets in Wilko yesterday so we've been planting some of them out today, a mixture of red and whites but mostly white. I've just sown the first lot of beetroot into modules and the next lot of those will be done in a couple of weeks, and then more a couple of weeks later :)

This afternoon I'll be setting out parsnip seeds into kitchen paper and peas. I've got a book which suggests a way of doing peas that I've not done before so I'll be giving that a go :)

I'll be starting off my courgettes too later. I love weeks off work!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First real day back in the saddle for me, clearing the decks and getting things ready. Outside tap now back on, workshop nice & hoovered, rock salt that I didn't eventually need stowed in the rock salt bin. And I rescued my Oca -which I should have harvested three months ago - not much, possibly a couple of good ones to eat, the rest are getting repotted.

Tomorrow hopefully I'l get the potatoes in (in the bed that's not full of old tomato compo), then pick some wild garlic, and have something like sea bass en papillote with the useable oca thinly sliced

In other news, lemon verbena is beginning to rebud, lovage & fennel is coming through, and there's a wonderful carpet of woodruff developing

ah spring

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And some repotting - to wit a question - can peppers (padron but I have some bells as well) be buried deep in pots like you would do with leggy tomatoes ?

I have always done so unrecordings without detriment to the crop. In fact I pretty much do this with all leggy seedlings although I know that in experiments only a few plants will grow roots below the surface. The point is that if they are not planted deeply they will flap around in a puff of breeze and suffer badly, so you may as well give them a good chance in life and give them a sturdy start. I also p out my seedlings at the seed leaf stage and have done for years and they all survive so maybe I am just bold!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Pablosmummy
    Options
    Ive also been known to bury particularly flappy seedlings a bit deeper, mostly they're fine.
    It's a lovely day here, bit windy but the sun is out and I'm sitting at my kitchen table having a cup of tea in the sun and it's lovely.
    Not.much to do garden wise, I am debating planting the school broad bean out today, I've been hardening it off for the last two weeks and it's just getting too big for the pot it's in now. Hopefully it will be ok out, if there's any really cold nights forecast I can rig up some kind of fleece cover.
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Leggy seedlings This commercial grower in the States seems to have it hacked. It did give me confidence to bury some VERY leggy chillies. https://www.gardenbetty.com/leggy-seedlings-what-causes-them-and-how-to-correct-them/
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • lucy_lemon
    lucy_lemon Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Can I please join in? I've recently bought my first house, which means I finally have access to a garden! I'm so excited! I'm hoping to be able to grow a fair amount of vegetables, but I have a lot of learning to do. Hope it'll be ok to post questions here :-)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    lucy_lemon wrote: »
    Can I please join in? I've recently bought my first house, which means I finally have access to a garden! I'm so excited! I'm hoping to be able to grow a fair amount of vegetables, but I have a lot of learning to do. Hope it'll be ok to post questions here :-)

Perfect time of year to get started
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport