Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, it was the 1975 Sex Discrimination Act that has set things in train. Now replaced I believe by the 2010 Equality Act (age, sexual orientation, transgender and so on). Incidentally, it also used to be "legal" under common law for a man to beat his wife, who was technically, his property. Sometimes it is good to reflect back and see where we have come from and how far we have travelled. As someone who remembers "Reclaim the Night" marches and the situation where a pretty girl out at night was clearly "asking for it" or a prostitute in some districts, it was not all about suffragism. I'm another one of us that always votes, always insists my DH and DS vote too - Tolpuddle Martyrs rather than Suffragettes for the boys but also a struggle.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "However we dress,
    Wherever we go,
    Yes means yes,
    And no means no".

Chanted at many a meet :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    "However we dress,
    Wherever we go,
    Yes means yes,
    And no means no".

Chanted at many a meet :)

Thank you for that, KC:T. I love it and wonder why I never heard it before.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 January 2019 at 12:29PM
    Options
    OH posted my 2 eBay sales yesterday which brought in £19.24 after postage costs. I offered 'free' P&P , the cost of which I'd already incorporated into the selling price;). People like to think they've saved some money. Late last night I checked my emails and found another item had sold. That's a cheaper item and will only bring in £7.22 but it's better than just having the item in the drawer being no use to me or anyone else. I went out first thing to post it so that's a total of 8/10 of the listed items sold and dispatched:j. I used to always use the auction format and found it fun to watch the bids increasing especially as the auction closure approached but I put these on BIN and have had really fast results. I might stick to that format in future and forgo the fun element:rotfl:. Having the money in my 'treats' fund is fun in itself:j

My 'treats' pot now stands at £118.21 which I'm over the moon about:j. I can definitely make an appointment to have my haircut now. I also have £18.44 payable on Prolific Academic (my favourite and best-paying survey site) but will hang on until I pass £20 before withdrawing it as I think that will avoid fees. I don't buy much online so was overjoyed to receive an email from Quidco saying my cashback had been paid. When I checked it turned out to be a mighty 6p for something bought online at Boots about 6 months ago:rotfl:.

On my way to the Post Office this morning I passed the village hall in the next-but-one village to us which had a banner up announcing a Table Top Sale there tomorrow and there are still tables available . Normally I'd jump at the chance to sell there as the hall is warm and roomy and there are always lots of buyers who are willing to spend their money:j. I'm ashamed to say though that I just can't muster any enthusiasm to go rummaging in my shed in the freezing cold to find a carfull of things to sell:o. It's so cold here at the moment after a sharp overnight frost which still hasn't gone from the grass. The ice on my car windscreen needed a lot of scraping off before I went out:(. I really mustn't become complacent as, although my debt-repayment situation is no longer dominating everything I do, I still want to make as much extra money as I can. The need to declutter is perhaps even more important to me than that.
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done on the ebay sales CBC, thats a grand treats pot - definitely book a hair cut.

Its freezing here too though the sun is bright and I sympathise with your lack of enthusiasm for exploring the shed to find items to sell. I assume you don't have enough 'stuff' indoors to scrape together for the sale?

Another one here who always votes, my OH always stayed up to watch election results though I suspect that was sometimes through his eyelids after a few hours :rotfl:. Stay warm
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 19 January 2019 at 5:46AM
    Options
    teapot2 wrote: »
    Well done on the ebay sales CBC, thats a grand treats pot - definitely book a hair cut.

Its freezing here too though the sun is bright and I sympathise with your lack of enthusiasm for exploring the shed to find items to sell. I assume you don't have enough 'stuff' indoors to scrape together for the sale?

Another one here who always votes, my OH always stayed up to watch election results though I suspect that was sometimes through his eyelids after a few hours :rotfl:. Stay warm

Yes, I can understand your husband struggling to stay awake right to the end on Election Night. The hours between 3 and 5 always seemed the worst for me:eek:. I had to force myself to stay awake as lots of results had been declared by then and it was an interesting part of the proceedings when it was becoming clear which way things were going.

No, definitely not enough saleable things indoors to make the £5 table fee worth my while. Actually, I have plenty of 'stuff' in the house but nothing that usually seems to sell well at those sort of sales.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,310 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the ebay sales :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, those ebay sales are great, CBC, good for you. And its freezing here too - it was all I could do to go to the newsagent today, let alone rummage in a freezing shed!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well done on the ebay sales and that is a good sum to have in your treats pot :T.

Don't be hard on yourself for not wanting to rummage in a shed outdoors on a freezing day. I wouldn't fancy it either. That seems like a job for the spring or the summer and there will be other table top sales coming up.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sayschezza
    Options

As for staying up all night to find out the results as they're declared I do exactly the same. I don't think I've ever missed an election all-nighter yet:o. OH usually greets me the next morning with ''Who won''? and that's the full extent of his interest:(. In the days when I had to go straight to work afterwards I doubt my employers got full value for money from my workrate:o

I am the same even with the American elections. Fasinating.
    All that clutter used to be money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport