Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Options

Comments

• Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    If only!!!!

Hordes of people who currently find politics such a 'turn off' would become avid fans overnight:rotfl:

Yes indeed. Was watching one of Corbyn's speeches the other night did actually comment to OH that he needed a Sam to write for him, as what he was saying was a complete load of garbage!:rotfl:
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes indeed. Was watching one of Corbyn's speeches the other night did actually comment to OH that he needed a Sam to write for him, as what he was saying was a complete load of garbage!:rotfl:

We seem to have had a lot of speeches recently where the speakers keep their eyes firmly fixed on their written script or the autocue. Teresa May is a case in point, almost scared to be impromptu (although some of her quick responses to Jeremy Corbyn at PMQs are surprisingly good). Corbyn reads from a badly-written script (does anyone check these things for clarity before he starts?) and fails to make it interesting in the slightest. He's better when he speaks off-script but then he tends to get repetitive and loses the thread.

Whatever anyone thought of David Cameron's politics he was an excellent speech-maker without the need to refer to his notes. I'm sure it was rehearsed to the nth degree but he made it look impromptu and effortless. The best IMO was Barack Obama. I could happily listen to him for hours. He just seemed to stand there and 'chat' but still managed to get all his points across. A terrific speech was earlier in the week when Michael Gove made the closing speech for the Conservatives at the end of the No Confidence debate and just before the vote. Fast paced, humorous when needed, cleverly put together and a joy to listen to whether you agreed with his argument or not. All without seemingly referring to anything written down. I never knew he had it in him, a revelation IMO. One of the commentators suggested that it was his attempt at staking his claim as next Leader of the Conservative Party and after Boris's largely incoherent mumblings earlier I couldn't help but agree. .
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    We seem to have had a lot of speeches recently where the speakers keep their eyes firmly fixed on their written script or the autocue. Teresa May is a case in point, almost scared to be impromptu (although some of her quick responses to Jeremy Corbyn at PMQs are surprisingly good). Corbyn reads from a badly-written script (does anyone check these things for clarity before he starts?) and fails to make it interesting in the slightest. He's better when he speaks off-script but then he tends to get repetitive and loses the thread

Whatever anyone thought of David Cameron's politics he was an excellent speech-maker without the need to refer to his notes. I'm sure it was rehearsed to the nth degree but he made it look impromptu and effortless. The best IMO was Barack Obama. I could happily listen to him for hours. He just seemed to stand there and 'chat' but still managed to get all his points across. A terrific speech was earlier in the week when Michael Gove made the closing speech for the Conservatives at the end of the No Confidence debate and just before the vote. Fast paced, humorous when needed, cleverly put together and a joy to listen to whether you agreed with his argument or not. All without seemingly referring to anything written down. I never knew he had it in him, a revelation IMO. One of the commentators suggested that it was his attempt at staking his claim as next Leader of the Conservative Party and after Boris's largely incoherent mumblings earlier I couldn't help but agree. .

Yes, I loved Barack. He was the nearest they will ever get to Jed Bartlett..:D
    And yes Cameron was a good speaker. Which is probably why he own the election in the first place. I remember watching him on the debate and thinking how good he was, but never really voted conservative before that. :rotfl:
    Not a Michael Gove fan, but think you are right about his intentions. I always think Boris is a lot cleverer than people give him credit for TBH, but not really sure who is the best person to be new leader. Quite like Reese-Mog.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Really Carboot I do think OH is being a bit cheeky, expecting you to do manual labour outdoors in freezing conditions because firstly, he has a lot of clutter and secondly, he is too mean to pay a workman to do it :mad:. Can you tell him you don't want to do it or feel too tired to do it? I don't mean to be a trouble maker but goodness me!!!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,321 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Really Carboot I do think OH is being a bit cheeky, expecting you to do manual labour outdoors in freezing conditions because firstly, he has a lot of clutter and secondly, he is too mean to pay a workman to do it :mad:. Can you tell him you don't want to do it or feel too tired to do it? I don't mean to be a trouble maker but goodness me!!!

I have to agree with this 100%.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Joining in rather late to the TV political series - I was totally hooked on the updated series of 'House of Cards' - totally, wonderfully Machiavellian - you'd think it was almost far-fetched - oh no it's not - there's weirder things happening Over The Pond right now! I liked the original UK series too and of course West Wing. :):)

I think Gove is a very articulate and convincing speaker - even my DD who can't stand him had to grudgingly agree with this when he was on TV debating the pros of Brexit before the vote. I agree that Boris comes over as bumbling but I think he is academically very bright. I just wish he'd toddle off and write the historical tome he was always threatening to do! My boss really likes him - he was lunching in the same restaurant as Boris some months ago and got a selfie with him. I said to him 'What are you - ten years old!":rotfl:

Oh and agree with beanie and Hairy re OH!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Just nearing the end of a book by Boris called Johnson Life of London and it has held me since the first page. I believe he is a Greek and Roman classical scholar so not a scatty as he makes out to be.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think you're right Chezza!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • tantaraza
    Options
    I have watched neither the West Wing nor House of Cards, but I used to watch Scandal back when we had TV and enjoyed it very much. Kerry Washington is excellent in it and I would definitely recommend that show :T

carbootcrazy I agree with everyone else re: OH and the shed :eek: I can’t claim to be clutter-free but I certainly wouldn’t expect anyone else to do heavy lifting if they didn’t want to, especially if they were at risk of dying of hypothermia inside the house, never mind being outside all day :eek:

Could OH put on some heavy-duty gloves to protect his thumb and still do the work, or is that a no-no?
  • elizabethhull
    Options

The best IMO was Barack Obama. I could happily listen to him for hours. He just seemed to stand there and 'chat' but still managed to get all his points across. .

I agree Obama was good. If you ever want to listen to one of the greatest speeches ever made, I recommend going to YouTube for Reagan's response to the Challenger disaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEjXjfxoNXM&t=5s

Listen to the way he lists those who died, carefully, giving each name the weight of consideration and respect. And the poem he references by John Magee touches just the right note. He didn't write the speech, but he made the words his own by the eloquence of his voice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure