Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to be one of the ones who switched off from the saga :o:o:o Mustn't write any more there, or I'm breaking my own rule :eek:

As for voting for the first time at the age of 50 :eek:
    Okay, horses for courses :o but when I was first eligible to vote, the age of voting had recently come down to age 18, and I felt it was my duty to vote, on behalf of all those suffragettes who fought so hard to get it. I missed one, over the years, but thats all.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just popping in to,say def make the will and POA. My dads partner died recently and he knew her wishes but her family overrode this as they where technically next of kin even though she had gone non contact with them for years.
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 17 January 2019 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Sorry to be one of the ones who switched off from the saga :o:o:o Mustn't write any more there, or I'm breaking my own rule :eek:

As for voting for the first time at the age of 50 :eek:
    Okay, horses for courses :o but when I was first eligible to vote, the age of voting had recently come down to age 18, and I felt it was my duty to vote, on behalf of all those suffragettes who fought so hard to get it. I missed one, over the years, but thats all.

The voting age was 21 when I was a student and becoming politically active:(. I was involved in a University political association and played my part with leaflet distribution and so on but was not able to vote myself in the General election the year I turned 21 as it happened a couple of months too soon for me :mad:. I felt so old by the time I eventually got my first opportunity.

Since then I've voted for anything and everything:rotfl:. Like you I feel it's my duty. Maybe feeling a duty to vote is a gender 'thing' among women and an appreciation of what the suffragettes did for womenkind in general. Most women that I know are more assiduous in voting than their husbands or partners. I've lived in very 'safe' constituencies (not always of the same political persuasion as me:() for my whole life and I knew my solitary vote wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. I still turned out in all weathers to register it though:j.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the ebay sales :T I've never seen a no FVF offer, very jealous!

I always vote too, have done since I could.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Well done on the ebay sales :T I've never seen a no FVF offer, very jealous!

I always vote too, have done since I could.
    Thank you:)

The FVF offer was in a direct email and only available for up to 10 listings which had to be done within a very few days to take advantage of the offer. The listings didn't have to end within such a short time but the listing had to go 'live' by the cut off date . I used to be a pretty active seller on eBay in the past but had stopped for quite a while. Maybe they wanted to attract me back as, although they wouldn't make anything out of me this time, they might think they could rekindle my interest so they could make a lot in fees in the future;). I've seen similar offers on the eBay website very occasionally in the past but not for ages:(

I sold another 2 items overnight:j. OH has just gone out and will take them to the Post Office on his way. Really cold and sleety here today so I'm glad I'm not having to go out myself:j
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    I need to try and get back into Ebay selling again. We used to do quite a lot and then it became a pain..people not paying and the amount you were losing in fees etc, so I started using FB selling pages, but that only seems to work well for large items like furniture etc. Got a lovely bag I was trying to sell and thought it would go easily and had no interest at all, so might give it a go on Ebay.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I need to try and get back into Ebay selling again. We used to do quite a lot and then it became a pain..people not paying and the amount you were losing in fees etc, so I started using FB selling pages, but that only seems to work well for large items like furniture etc. Got a lovely bag I was trying to sell and thought it would go easily and had no interest at all, so might give it a go on Ebay.

I've never tried FB and like you found eBay had become a pain. It used to be such fun a few years ago but I really dislike using it these days. It took this FVF offer to entice me back:o. So far it's been OK and all the buyers have paid. They still have time to complain and want refunds though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck selling the bag:beer:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well done on the ebay sales Carboot :T.

I take some interest in politics, but I read online newspapers so I can dip into the stories that interest me. On the tv they go on and on and on about things and talk them to death, often saying the same things over and over again, or going into far more depth than I am interested in, until I want to scream :mad:.

I've always voted though as like others I believe as a woman it's my duty to use my right to vote. Women fought hard for this right in the UK and there are still countries in the world where women are not allowed to vote.

I'm pleased that my three DC all vote in local and national elections, and it was fun taking them to vote for the first time when they turned 18 :).

My mum loved politics too and would have been fascinated yet appalled at all the shenanigans going on at the moment :eek:. She had been known to stay up all night when there was a general election to see the results come in. Whereas I won't lose sleep over it as I know I'll find out soon enough in the morning :rotfl:.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    I'm another who ALWAYS votes. Have had arguments with women who can't be bothered, and I also drag out the 'women died for our suffrage' point.
    We are very lucky to be living in a part of the world where we can vote and drive, also have clean water and are treated as pretty well equal with men.
    The freedoms of Western women and clean water are aspects of daily life that I insist DDs are grateful for. No FGM, no typhoid/cholera/, forced child-bearing and/or marriage etc, autonomy beyond the dreams of so many. It's even a freedom to get into debt - a strange sort of freedom, but a Pakistani friend of mine had no money of her own - ever. Hubby allowed her to go out and gave her cash for what she needed, so never a spontaneous coffee, for example. He expected the change back too. She could borrow the cheque book for planned purchases. Her pension was put in his account because he forged her signature, he opened all her letters, and dictated who she could speak to on the phone - yes, I am VERY VERY grateful for Western living and a Western-raised OH.
    These should be top of anyone's gratitude list
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'm another who ALWAYS votes. Have had arguments with women who can't be bothered, and I also drag out the 'women died for our suffrage' point.
    We are very lucky to be living in a part of the world where we can vote and drive, also have clean water and are treated as pretty well equal with men.
    The freedoms of Western women and clean water are aspects of daily life that I insist DDs are grateful for. No FGM, no typhoid/cholera/, forced child-bearing and/or marriage etc, autonomy beyond the dreams of so many. It's even a freedom to get into debt - a strange sort of freedom, but a Pakistani friend of mine had no money of her own - ever. Hubby allowed her to go out and gave her cash for what she needed, so never a spontaneous coffee, for example. He expected the change back too. She could borrow the cheque book for planned purchases. Her pension was put in his account because he forged her signature, he opened all her letters, and dictated who she could speak to on the phone - yes, I am VERY VERY grateful for Western living and a Western-raised OH.
    These should be top of anyone's gratitude list

I think it's very important to bring up children to be grateful for the freedoms we have and that many in this country take for granted.

I even agee that I would prefer to have the freedom to get into debt :rotfl: rather than be controlled in such a tyrannical way.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport