Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh. Thats a good question, living19 ... I don't know, is the honest answer. My mother's will leaving everything directly to us was made in 2005, and we didn't do any research on it then. She may have talked to the local solicitor, I don't know.

All I can tell you is that when she herself was getting frail, and we wondered if she'd ever have to go into a home, I researched the idea that I might live with her after I retired, and that because of that, the house would be safeguarded from being sold to pay for the fees. Money would still be taken, of course, but not the house. However, because I still had a house of my own, even if it was being rented out to provide me with an income, it didn't look like that scheme would have worked - that was in about 2012, something like that. I'd have had to sell my own house for that to work, and obviously I didn't want to do that, though there might be a certain financial logic to it that would still work.

Would your parents be open to telling you what's in their wills? Ours were always very open, but obviously, not everyone is. I don't think there's one way forward that suits everyone, but I'm guessing, only guessing, that your current understanding of the law is correct. Sorry :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    CBC, brilliant post on the finances, ebay and the car! Good for you!

except for watching brexit all day again today :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,645 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    A vote for you to get your hair cut CBC :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks very much to Karmacat, lifeisforliving and beanielou on the latest wills and POA posts:T:A. So useful and informative:beer:

It's such a sensitive issue and so many people are unwilling or embarrassed to broach the subject with their families. Not only that but it's so difficult to fully understand the inevitable legalese even on documents supposedly written for the layman:(. I hope other readers of this bit of the diary will gain something from it too.

Also, I just love the way conversations develop and things spin off from comments that someone makes:j. It's a lovely bonus from MSE and people's diaries. I know Karmacat feels the same and is always so kind as to say so whenever I apologise for hijacking her diary with seemingly random musings:A
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    A vote for you to get your hair cut CBC :)

Thank you:)

I might leave it for another week as I've a lot of Brexit issues to yell at the TV screen about first:rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    **yelling at the screen :rotfl:

Okay, before I do the next thing, I'm going to switch on and look at the headlines :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,645 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Mine needs cut too CBC.
    Currently driving me quietly mad!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hi CBC,

Your diary is rushing along at speed, I can hardly keep up...!!

Another vote for the haircut.. I've just had mine done as you know and I think it gives you more confidence if you have tidy hair!

Good luck with all your saving plans, as you know I am a great saver.. now.... so much so I hate spending any of it...!!

Take care and have a good day.

Much Love
    Puzz. xx
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done on the eb@y sales and I think its a great idea to use the money for your treats budget with the knock on effect that it encourages decluttering :cool:

I've been thinking about listing a few things on eb@y but will need to get my head round how it works as have only bought and never sold on there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi CBC,

Your diary is rushing along at speed, I can hardly keep up...!!

Another vote for the haircut.. I've just had mine done as you know and I think it gives you more confidence if you have tidy hair!

Good luck with all your saving plans, as you know I am a great saver.. now.... so much so I hate spending any of it...!!

Take care and have a good day.

Much Love
    Puzz. xx

Thank you as always, Puzz:T. Lovely to see you over here:j

As for the diary rushing along, it's stretching to several pages mainly because I can rabbit for England:o. I'm sure you already know that from my ramblings on your own diary;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure