NST Join In January 2019 - In With The New

Options

Comments

• laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DawnW
    I had a practice run at that cake before. It is yummy! Thank you for the suggestion!

Today is NSD #15/20. I forgot I have some cash going in tomorrow so I actually have 80 to last the week (payday Friday) I will probably spend 50 in Aldi on Thursdayso that leaves us 30 left which I'm going to pay off my car loan on payday I think!

Make plans- all plans for next week are budgeted for & planned.
    Frogs- some can't be done early & ive only 4 left but I'm on with them!
    Chill out- I've chosen a film for tonight once kids are down!
    Grateful- for a day off tomorrow while the kids are in nursery, I'll be glad of a break, for our new swim teacher being so lovely & for my mum.
    Sort it out- I am prioritising what I use for dinners & tea. Tomorrow I'll have left overs for dinner.

I need to get my kids in bed as they seem to be determined to make the most possible noise tonight! Wine is calling :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for a chilled day at home, for remembering this morning that clothes needed washing for work/sch and thus giving them time to dry, for finishing the stripey hat, for dd enjoying her twizzle swing, for a lovely chat with big sis, for getting the mortgage down into the 17,000s, for dh 'fixing' the car wipers (though we'llnot know for sure until it rains...), for snuggly blankets, for another nsd.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Still plodding and working on the frogs (nibbling a couple of elephants really). Disappointed at all the things still to be done - keep noticing things that need attention but can't work out a way to do them. Bathroom floor is a disgrace but moving the bath stool (storage cube) a few inches and picking up and wiping the things that were there was as much as I could do. No way I can move the heavier small drawers let alone take all the bits out so it will have to wait and I will have to be patient (and plot a minimalist house where nothing has to be moved before cleaning can be done).

I have put a rail under yet another shelf. Using what I had - the rail is the larger half of mum's old broken clothes prop and the hooks are the links from an old pan hanger thing that broke. Most of my utensils are on it and there is room for some cups. Pleased that I could use the drill but I was drilling down into the shelf (into the old dowel which s a lot softer than the shelf wood) so not actually supporting the weight of the drill (the way I would if I was drilling into the wall).

Have wiped off a lot of the spice jars and other storage bits, tracked down the instructions for using the chalkboard label pens. Two whole bin bags of rubbish have been gathered from around the house including sweepings from the base of all the cupboards and under the table. Bin has been cleaned out (still drying outside) and lots of stuff into the recycling bins.

Made up a bin bag of clothes for the charity shop (hoping I can get in their room at some point because DS3 has loads of things that are too small). Renewed mum's house insurance on-line.

Have ordered food deliveries for mum's and here and I am still within budget. Bulk bought some of the half price offers including cheese, soap (extras can go to the food bank in lean months) and crispbread for 69p. I won't pay more than a pound a pack for it which means being flexible enough to try a few varieties. One of the SM usually has it on offer at a pound but there have been times when none of them has an offer. I did try a SM own brand one month but it was dreadful, I've chewed cardboard that had more flavour. But 69p is a snatch their arm off price (I don't like patronising SMs so I am happy when i think I am beating them in the price war). Did not purchase bargainaceous crisp or other unhealthy stuff.

Nothing I've done was particularly easy and my disastrous sleep pattern is affecting my eating pattern - realised last night that pain was part of the problem but was too late to do much about getting a proper sleep by then. So baby step improvements will have to suffice for now and I am pleased with what I have done.

Today I am grateful for lovely leftovers, happy haddock and solving a problem corner of the kitchen.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • cookie02
    cookie02 Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spend free days (NSDs) – I’m aiming for 16. Currently on 12/16.

Make plans for the month – no change

Always pay your debts first – No current debt. Trying to build up my emergency fund.

List your frogs – Made the list. I am working on the frogs. Slowly…

Little savings – I am taking my own lunch and am avoiding buying coffee this month. For each day that I don’t spend, I’m transferring the money to my savings.

Chill out – been using headspace more this last week. I love the sleep section :)
    Helping others – I add extra items to my shop specifically as donations for our local food bank.

Always be grateful – I write in my journal. Doing this daily.

New to You - I am recycling old yarn for the CAL I’m doing, instead of buying new yarn. I’m determined to resist buying, even though the yarn pack looks so pretty! (It’s the CAL from attic 24, if anyone’s interested / also doing it).

Get involved – I will try and post more :). Hello again :j. I love reading all of these and seeing how everyone is doing :)

Exercise – I signed up for RED January (for Mind). Still walking daily. 

Sort it out – planning to do more this week. Didn’t get around to sorting anything last week!
    Save 12k in 2022 #26
    Saving for Christmas 2022 #10
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Turtles:j

NSDs – Aiming for 10 as am going away on 22nd for a few days (Christmas treat) : still 11/10 as a spend day today

Make plans for the month – Planned visit to Barcelona later in the month. Rail ticket & plane already paid for. No more plans as yet...hols next week. Plan to go out with DH after I get back.

Always pay your debts first
    – No debts but do use a cc which is paid in full every month...need to rein this in, spending has been frightful of late..CC paid off in full, now need to make sure it doesn't rack up to those levels this month. No spends today. Going to restart PAD payments to try & get cc balance down. Will check out TCB as I have ££ in there I meant to get out for Christmas - then forgot, doh! Will get DH to look at TCB to see the most cost effective way to withdraw cash.

List your frogs – Started another very large frog this week, but am pleased with progress. (Clearing bedroom). Done some frogs from list, now need to list more as plenty still to get to grips with...did another 15 mins on bedroom last night & aim to do same tonight. More progress on bedroom frog, also on kitchen frog. Massive fridge frog now done, polishes halo. Then DD arrived & filled up fridge again grr...

Little Savings Another £2 coin for VW campervan moneybox.

Chill out – working on this. Always read before sleeping but sometimes counterproductive as I want to keep reading, then can't sleep! Also have been continuing with my complex knitting, can now do whilst watching tv....also needles came today for next very big project..More of the complex knitting, it's really looking like a pattern now, getting to grips with it before I tackle the really big project. And did some FH today as well. Chilled out with the papers for a short time this afternoon. No gardening as too cold/ground frozen, but out with beasts. Collie bereft as I accidently lobbed his squeaky pig over next doors...he lives to fetch. Never mind, rummaging in pantry knocked a carrier bag which grunted (!) was filled with grunty pigs. And oddly, a cow - which also grunts..I must have put them away as you do with a child who has too many toys. He is now fetching an orange pig with a festive scarf...happy happy collie

Helping others does helping to make the collie happy count?

Always be grateful – Grateful for today:

- central heating & open fire when the gas bottle ran out

- checking the train times for Tuesday & finding we were on a too-late train for our flight:eek:. Thankfully able to book an earlier one..

- finding a bag full of grunties

New to You all holiday duds from stores, although I did just buy another winter coat on FB
    it is secondhand although never worn.

Get involved I'm here!

Exercise –
    Outside with dogs, playing fetch.

Sort it out – Need to do this & will be eating from stuffed freezers & cupboards for January. Failed to find inventory of freezer that I wrote the other week, but it must be around somewhere! Intended to make lasagne with the leftover bolognaise, only to find no lasagne sheets...had to use cannelloni, my how fiddly those things are.. still it used up some more supplies..Finally found inventory in pile of other paper junk...and also the flipping lasagne sheets....on floor of pantry ( ?)too late now. Made fish pie from sprouty spuds, fish prawns (YS) & peas from freezer, sauce with all leftover cheeses from Christmas, won't be able to recreate that one in a hurry, shame as all except me had seconds.

GO Turtles!!!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Shrewbie
    Shrewbie Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all! NSD for me yesterday so on 10, and today should be another.
    Very MSE weekend, spent only €10 on some drinks after work on Friday and my food shop came to €22 for the week and all meals planned. Feeling very motivated although I know the next couple of months will be hard work-wise and Easter is late this year... need to set some goals and plan some small MSE treats for myself. today I'm grateful for my job.. pains me to say it, but I am... and for having some savings finally.

have a great day!
    Student loan £5849
    House deposit €18K/€40k
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Making collies happy definitely counts.

Back to school again, still two weeks left til payday (January is such a looooooooong month!).

Got rid of two boxes of herbal teas so far this month, finished the last one this morning, so Operation Use-It-Up continues. There is no point having things in the house that just sit there, looking at you, annoying you *.
    List written for all the things I need to do today, I just need to keep plodding through it and know that by 6pm it will all be over. Not sure what on earth is going on, but my head is not in the game. Hopefully it will snow for 5 minutes and I will regain my fluffiness and sparkle. Right now I feel more like porridge than glitter.

*children excluded
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Payday for me today, we no longer get paid early in Dec which is a help. Still I was stony broke according to YNAB! Managed to stay out of my OD which is something.

Budgets all sorted, then tweaked to squeeze out an extra CC payment. With my regular DD, the balance will be under £100 next month!

Feb should be a good month for the budget - short and I have 2 CB payments this month. Hoping to use most of the 'extra' one for savings which are still struggling a little. EF is on track (just) but the home pot needs filling up. I've also budgeting a bit more for groceries, as prices are creeping up and I'd like to add a few extras for the storecupboard.

NSDs - on 7/10, should make my goal but it was a low one!
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL, it's been a busy few days. Friday was 12/17 NSD's and frustratingly, I ruined yesterdays NSD as I had forgotten coconut milk from the grocery shopping the day previous!

Nonetheless, I have everything I think I need for the next 5 days, so shouldn't need to spend until my next grocery shopping on Saturday which will have taken my up to my goal!!

Well done Glenda on the extra payment!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all.

Not working today but have a very busy day planned. I have a load in the WM which will need to go in the drier along with all the tumble dryable things from last nights wash, the rest are on the heated airer. DW needs emptying, floors to be cleaned, bank to be checked, dog walked, visit mum (might need a stiff drink after that one), dust downstairs surfaces, wax newly painted cupboard, eat, run, school run, sew a mini pom pom back on my dress, prepare for work tomorrow.

Have a bag to drop off at the charity shop today and an item to return to another CS (they accept returns) later in the week, it's a shame as I love the item a lot but it just doesn't fit right and it was £4.99 and I could do with it back. Unfortunately I will need to spend as we need to order 2 new tyres for our trailer later today.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family