Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again - Page 80

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 12:33PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 257.4K views

Replies

• maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems that the forecast storm is close, becoming very blustery here.

Lovely to read about everyone's activities, clothes, food etc, nice to get new ideas or be reminded of something I have not done for a while.

Happy birthday Wednesday, pleased that you are having a good time and your outfits sound great.
    LL Anniversaries can be very difficult, but it seems that your diversions are helping you this year.
    Saving - so sorry that one set of difficult circumstances is being replaced with another one, lovely that you are enjoying your make up and that it is giving you some much needed "you time"
    moll- over the years I always have reverted to eating much lower carb when the weight crept on, I loved good bread and piles of buttery toast, but it went straight to my tummy and hips:rotfl:, I am now gluten sensitive, not gone completely GF, but am having to avoid it most of the time:(
    Maman - enjoy the theatre today, hope the car was OK
    teedy23 - Your treatments sound great, sadly I live too far away from a college, when I have some spare cash I want to try Caci, horribly expensive at the salons for a course though.
    Luxurywoman - looking forward to hearing about your new lippies.

The meeting turned out fine, we were very happy that another SW had been deputised to attend and the nominated one was not available. this person was very pleasant, kind, gently thorough and very interested in mum's well being. She was a junior I guess, I hope that pressures do not spoil her career plans as she seemed to OH and I to have the makings of a great SW, in relation to the elderly at least.

Out to charity coffee morning earlier, met up with some friends, one whose OH has recently died, so it was great that she felt able to come. Then to DM's house for a session sorting and bagging clothes for the charity shops and rags for one of them too. I wore my dark wash Boden jeans, a navy and white breton long sleeve tee, navy fine knit cotton cardi and an eye wateringly bright pink down gilet, quite pleased with how I looked, shows off my hourglass figure:D Food shop shortly and then batten down the hatches I think.

Stay safe.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday.....sorry I nearly forgot. Happy Birthday. :bdaycake:
  • eandjsmumeandjsmum Forumite
    459 posts
    ✭✭
    Happy Birthday Wednesday ( night be a bit late)
    Teedy I am not too far from a college but I work full time so it is difficult,t to get there when I retire I am up for being used to train beautitions. I have heard that it is pos to get a 3 course meal cheaply at these places too.
    Today I have been up in town at a craft show with dsis. Very crowded also because I a losing weight there was not much point in buying much. Lots and lots of lovely fabric though. Afterwards we walked along the local high street and wondered into a few of the local cs . Had a shock at the prices though a Zara blouse was £8 and a banana republic cardi was£15. :eek:
    I have very recently brought an East cardi for £2 in a local cs.
    We had a pub meal and a bottle of pink fizz afterwards.
    I have a big birthday soon so we are planning a girly day out at a local spa followed by lunch .
    There are several of us at work loosing weight through one method or another so we are all supporting each other.
    This week I will carry on with the swimming as I am enjoying it and losing weight. Also it helps me to sleep.
    I have decided to throw out all clothes that are too big and all clothes that are worn out. Hopefully that will leave me ones that are smart enough to wear.
    I off to sort my nails out now
    Enjoy your fabbing
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sending you a big hug LL :A
    teedy23 wrote: »
    I dont and never have used shopping channels on tv but I have just discovered Goks closet on QVC. I still wont buy from tv but the ideas are fantastic with lots of great hints and tips. The models are not all stick thin either.

Thanks for that tip teedy . I liked some of the clothes Gok did for Sainsburys so I'd like to see what he suggests.

Glad the meeting went well maddie. Like you I hope the young SW doesn't get disillusioned. :(

We've had a lovely day: lunch with friends and then the theatre. It was an excellent Noel Coward play with Simon Callow and Jane Asher. It was partly autobiographical so not as light as his usual plays.

I wore my Zara maxi dress with leggings and black suede boots. My friends hadn't seen it before so many compliments. :)
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Thanks for all your hugs and good wishes. Yesterday wasn't the best of days, despite my preparations and keeping busy. Hey ho, that's just the way it is. I used to think, in my naivety and innocence, that the passage of time would make widowhood easier.I think I do well enough day to day, it's just the red letter days that are so hard. Anyway, enough of that.

I did enjoy the film, Green Book. It was a bit "worthy" - a typical Oscar winner "message" film - but it was very funny in parts, largely down to Vigo Mortenssons performance. Never knew he could do comedy. I have only ever seen him play serious brooding characters but he was great as an exuberant Italian.

Not sure what I'm going to do today, I do feel very tired and rather drained and the weathers not that great so I might just have an at home day, just pottering about, cooking, some paperwork, a bit of handsewing. I would start painting the kitchen but it's a bit too cold to fling open the doors and windows - it can wait. I have got some plants to put in the garden at some point, probably tomorrow.

Jane Asher.....I think she is lovely. She has aged really gracefully, combining casual elegance and that delicate ladylike English prettiness that hides an inner strength.

I can remember her being on Juke Box Jury the week Paul McCartney dumped her for Linda Eastman. The papers were full of it. It must have been excruciating for her but she showed up and held her head up high. The host of the show, David Jacobs made some comment, expressing his sympathy. I think he meant well but it just drew attention to her humiliation and you could just see how painful it was for her. Although she was reeling in shock her reaction was so dignified. True Grit. I remember thinking at the time "Wow!"

Interesting to see that several of us are floundering a bit with weight loss. Me too I'm afraid. At least I'm not gaining but I seem to have plateaued again. A bit disappointing but I'll persevere.

I have a few plans for this week, aiming to "get stuff done" but really need to focus my efforts on healthy eating and exercise to try and jump start the weight loss again.
  • teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning fabbers, yesterday was horrible, today looks to be much the same. I dont mind rain, and I dont really mind wind but when they get together its rotten, no escape, umbrellas are pointless, hoods get blown down, glasses become useless unless they fitted with wipers lol.
    Maddiemay I hope your new sw stays true to form, it makes such a difference. Yes the cacci treatment is expensive if getting in a salon, I do feel very lucky in that respect. Eandjsmum: there is a very good restaurant inside the college but I haven't found out how to get myself in there, I think those in the know keep it close to their chests lol
    LL: your doing amazing, hugs to you.
    Moll, I lost a lot of weight doing the low carb option some years ago but I was a lot more active then too. It really worked but after a month or so I began to run out of options, probably lack of imagination. I wouldnt cut them out all together now but if I eat bread its wholemeal or seeded, I try to choose the healthiest way to eat what I want. Good luck to all who try it.
    Maman : the play sounds good, I am jealous of the choices you have there. I used to like the Gok collection in Sainsburys too, such a shame it stopped.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone

It's been a quiet weekend here, but I've been fabbing my house.

I loved the post you wrote a few weeks ago LessonLearned about how to go about fabbing and I feel that personal things are a little on hold until I get the healthy eating in place, but I have started on the house.

I used to use the Flylady method but recently have been told about Organised Mum. It seems to fit in better now that I'm working full time, though I have no children at home anymore, but it works on the idea of doing something Monday to Friday so you don't have to do anything on the weekends and while at the moment my weekends are pretty empty, I don't plan on that always being the case.

It's grey and horrible here too :( I was so looking forward to Spring arriving.
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Happy birthday Wednesday, pleased that you are having a good time and your outfits sound great.

I wore my dark wash Boden jeans, a navy and white breton long sleeve tee, navy fine knit cotton cardi and an eye wateringly bright pink down gilet, quite pleased with how I looked, shows off my hourglass figure:D

Thanks.

Sounds like a lovely outfit!:A
    Wednesday.....sorry I nearly forgot. Happy Birthday. :bdaycake:

Thanks.:cool:
    eandjsmum wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Wednesday ( night be a bit late)

Thanks!:)
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! It's getting really wild out there. Keep safe from Storm Freya everyone.:)

Funnily enough LL, I googled Jane Asher yesterday and she/her family tells a different story about the split with Paul McCartney.;)

You're right about her ageing well. My reason for googling was because I was impressed with how fit she was on stage. As it was essentially the two main characters on stage throughout the production, the director had tried to do all s/he could to ring the changes and stop it looking like talking heads. So to match the tone of the conversation they moved around, onto different seats, to fetch drinks etc. At one point Jane Asher knelt and then sat on the floor. It was effortless (including getting up!) and I was impressed.:D

I know I have very little strength in my thighs so I really should do exercises for that. I started some (effectively sliding my back up and down a wall) ski exercises that my friend used before going away so Jane has inspired me to get back to that. My inside upper arms could do with toning too. It's those two areas (inner thighs and arms) that always start to look scraggy if I lose too much weight.

I meant to ask LL if you'd had the insoles fitted yet? The podiatrist recommended some for me and they're great except that it's really difficult to find shoes that can take them.

This week, I'm meeting a friend (that I haven't seen in a while) for coffee. It'll definitely be an occasion for fabbing. She suggested one of those garden centres that seem to market their coffee shop as much as their plants! :D Those places can attract clones in the same way as M&S so I'm going to make an effort not to blend in!;) I also have to make a trip to M&S to collect something for DD so I'll look at the new season's stuff there ( maybe try on the bits I saw in Delhi) and I must get my nails done again. And I must start another book before March gets too much underway. Plenty to keep me busy.:)

Little happening here today. Certainly too horrible to go out anywhere so I've done a bit of batch cooking and we'll have a lovely roast later.:drool: I did take some time with myself this morning and it's a flaxseed serum day today.:D
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting ready for the work week ahead. Getting an evening routine in place and thinking about my morning routine too.

I head back to slimming world tomorrow night and I'm looking forward to having a set plan in place that is for my personal benefit. I know people say not to wait until you've lost the weight, but I know that losing the weight will help me to see me differently and I'm looking forward to this next stage.