New Post Advanced Search

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 12:33PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 257.7K views

Replies

• humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sugarbaby that sounds so hard, I don't know how I would react if my grandsons turned on after I have done so much for them, it must have been so painful for you. From the sounds of it he is a very troubled young man and he probably needs some professional support to process it all, you sound like you are there for him even with his behaviour. Sometimes they need a bit of tough love so maybe he will respond to you explaining it to him.

My exDIL has some psychological problems, her mother always blamed everything on my son but when things finally exploded we found out alot of things and they had hidden the psychiatric problems she had as a teenager. I honestly think she drove my son to the verge of a nervous breakdown and he couldn't cope anymore. I don't think he should have left his children but on the other hand I'm not sure what might have happened if he stayed, she wasn't above being violent and then taunting him to hit her so she could go to the police and as she kept pointing out who would they believe was violent? The dainty little blonde or her big rugby playing husband?

Families, they can drain us that's for sure.
  • edited 23 July 2019 at 6:32PM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 July 2019 at 6:32PM
    Oh my goodness - what sad stories. I really don't know what to say. Sometimes there is so much heartache in this world, so many troubled souls.

Well I have got another two bites..... I must be super tasty this week.:rotfl: They are itching like mad.

I feel quite guilty because I've done nothing today.....just far too hot for me. I found a shady spot and tried reading but then ended up dozing half the afternoon away. Im not one for lazing around doing nothing, it doesn't sit well with my over developed work ethic. :rotfl:

Apparently the next couple of days are going to be sizzlers. I shall probably get up extra early to get stuff done before the real heat.

Have booked for the skin clinic in a couple of weeks. I have small benign cyst but it too has been quite itchy of late and it's not getting any smaller. I'll have to pay to get it removed, apparently it's not covered by the NHS, at least not in this post code district. Hey ho.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly forgot......one thing I did do today was a have a trying on session prior to moving stuff over to my new wardrobe tomorrow. I think I will have another editing session.

Now that I'm almost at my desired weight There's quite a lot that can go now. I shall just keep a few stand bys for diy/gardening but the rest is going to be subject to stringent quality control. :rotfl:

Aiming for a "curated wardrobe" with only clothes that make me feel good.
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am really not in a fabbing mood with this horrible humid weather. I absolutely hate it.:mad:

I did buy myself a nice new blue stone and silver ring as I saw there was a sale and it was reduced from £50 to under £25. I will wear it out on Thursday night to the gig.

It's supposed to be baking hot that day! I think I might get a taxi to the train station rather than walk there as I don't want to be all hot and sweaty on the underground train.:rotfl:
    Hello Ladies,

I know I have spoiled my grandson in the past, but he needed it. He has been in Care since he was 13. :( He has lived in a few Care homes in the Andover area before he was found supported shared housing in London when he was 16. :( Once he was living in London, I could keep a better eye on him and also try to make sure that he had lovely family celebrations for his birthdays and he was able to be there for other people in the family's birthdays and celebrations. :D He knows that no matter how much trouble he has got himself into, that I will Love him regardless. :D As he is 19 almost 20, he has now been forced to fend for himself.

He was extremely verbally abusive to me on one occasion last year and also threatened my younger son (his uncle) with physical violence. :mad: As a result of this behaviour, I made it quite clear that the many ways that I had been willing to support him financially would now stop. I would simply give him a birthday and Christmas present each year and leave it at that. :)

He is now homeless because he was aggressive and abusive to staff and other young men living in the same supported housing. :mad:

He had so many opportunities for a job that the staff arranged for him. :D He deliberately turned up late for some interviews or performed badly to ensure he was not offered the job in question. :mad: He started a well paid job at a recycling plant last year and walked off the job 3 days later. :mad: He got a job with McDonald's in one of their West End branches but decided on the day that he was due to start work, that he did not want to work for McDonald's. :mad: He started more than one qualification at College but did not complete any of them and they each of them would have helped to secure him gainful employment. :mad:

It is really sad that he is estranged from his Mother and his stepfather, so he has come to rely on me to step into the breach again and again. Now that he has spent the last 3 years demonstrating how little he cares about being in gainful employment, I have finally lost patience with him. :(

I used to work in supported housing in London, a lot of the previous "in care" kids had a lot of issues.:(x
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Storms raging on and off and I'm melting.

I'm with you Wednesday......I hate this humidity, no cooling sea breezes here :rotfl: at least when it's cold you can add layers and crank up the heating

Needless to say I can't sleep.

The Venezuelans are loving it. Bless 'em.

Apparently it will cool off by Friday.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very sad personal stories yesterday. I feel for you both humpty and sugarbaby. :A

My efforts to stay cool were quite successful yesterday. It helps that I didn't have to do anything though.;) I decided against decluttering and took a leaf out of sugarbaby's book (excuse pun:o) and just sat in my north facing bedroom at the hottest part of the day with the curtains (cream calico so not darkened) drawn and read a book!:)

Today I am going to run (well actually drive in a/c car) a few errands but then I'm going to rest up. :)

I am keeping up with the fabbing. I've done my usual routine of showering, hair and slathering. I'm going to wear one of my loose summer dresses when I go out. I love it when all I have to think about is a simple dress, sandals and underwear. So simple.:) A new addition to my routine this week has been a proper footcream as recommended by podiatrist. It's urea based, just a cheap one from Aldi to try. I've never been good at regular foot creaming but it's so important with feet being on show in the hot weather.

I agree about the wardrobe choices and culling LL. There's a thread on here which started off about clothes washing frequency but has been expanded into discussing 'levels' of outfits. I understand that there's a need to not be extravagant and contribute unnecessarily to landfill but (other than a very few old clothes for messy jobs like painting) I've decided that I want to look good all the time because it makes me feel good.. So I have my going out clothes which vary with occasion and my 'one mile' clothes which I wear at home and for local errands. I look after my going out clothes by changing into the latter when I get home. Lots of the clothes are from the CS or I've had for years so I'm doing my bit for the environment there. I can't agree with the poster (I'm paraphrasing) on the other thread who kept things for 'best' and then pensioned them off in stages including house clothes that she'd wear at home if she didn't think anyone would see her! DIY clothes came even lower than that.:eek:

keep your cool everyone.:cool:
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you Wednesday......I hate this humidity, no cooling sea breezes here :rotfl: at least when it's cold you can add layers and crank up the heating

I went out for a walk yesterday and I was burning up. I was thinking it must be nice to be by the sea with a nice breeze.:)
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday I live on the coast, there wasn't much of a breeze yesterday and it is baking today. I know it is probably worse inland so not sure how I'd cope.
  • edited 24 July 2019 at 3:02PM
    lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 July 2019 at 3:02PM
    Actually it's not too bad here today (just as far inland as you can get:rotfl:) because there is actually nice little breeze today, just a gentle summer Zephyr, so with all doors and windows open there's at least a reasonable air current, unlike yesterday when being indoors felt like the tropical house in Kew Gardens.

Too hot for manual work though. My son was melting bless him so I ordered him to finish up and told him to leave the last few internal wardrobe fitments until it's a bit cooler. There's no hurry for the last few tweaks. I can make a start transferring stuff now without it having to be 100 per cent finished. I'm really pleased with how they look, the high gloss turquoise doors look really striking against the white walls and grey carpet.

He managed to unearth my two fans from the deep recesses of the loft for me so I can set them up later. Will probably need them tonight and I would imagine the next couple of days if the forecast is accurate.

As I have been planning I have decided I am going to let go of my elliptical trainer and exercise bike. I can't really use them much now because of my knee and they are just taking up space. The boys didn't want them so I'll get the charity shop to pick them up, together with some free standing cupboards and a couple of shelving units I can now part with.

Minimalism here I come.....:rotfl:

Ok maybe not true minimalism because I do like some creature comforts and hardcore minimalism is a bit too spartan for my tastes. But as I declutter I'm finding I need less furniture and fewer free standing storage units are required.

Getting there.....
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it's not too hot for you today LL.:)

I couldn't cope with true minimalism either but I do need less 'stuff'.
    I went out earlier and picked up the colour swatches for the bathroom cupboards. I'll be going with the grey. I know it's the 'in vogue' colour of the moment but I've had grey with white in my bathroom for years and never tired of it so no plans to change.

I'm pleased to find out that while the tall cupboard isn't as big as my current one that the baskets will fit the shelves. It's so much easier having things stored in baskets rather than directly on shelves. I've no need to change the baskets really but I did see some nice grey ones in Home Bargains. They were cheap enough but definitely a want rather than a need.:o