PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Comments

• Yesterday opened my ottoman and realized I had chucked a load of things in it for CS and to list on FB before I moved so I haven't finished with my decluttering! Sorted through it all, going to list the bits on FB today if they've not sold within a week they will be taking a trip to the CS!

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    More plastic and paper taken to wheelie recycling bin. Agree on amount of food packaging - it's ridiculous.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I tried on all my jeans today and ditched 2 pairs for being too small so they're in the charity bag. I'm not keeping stuff any more for the mythical time when I'll suddenly fit them.

Keep going everyone! We're getting there (slowly but still getting there).
  • GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Quick update:
    236: bundle of flyers for charity event - pushed through doors (have become some one else's clutter, sorry!)
    237-239: 3 broken plastic boxes to tip
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2019 at 6:50PM
    Welcome Roxie

*173-175 candles x3 sold. Have way tooooooo many so was ruthless
    *176 candle given to a friend
    *177 a big bag of plastic wrappings taken to the recycling point at Tesc@

Really need to do a tip run and take some items to a CS. Put on a brand new top that neither me or DD knows where it came from- it does not suit me one bit so that is off to the CS. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather perks up.
    Also have a large quantity of cardboard to be put out in the morning-have already filled the recycling box with the stuff.

That's about it from me, can't think of anything else done, have been quite lazy over the back holiday weekend
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • A couple of years ago I donated all my pre pregnancy clothes from 2008. I figured even if I could wear them again ever I might want different clothes now. 2 years on and I'm still no where near the size I was so was a good thing to do even though it was hard letting go at the time.
    We had a room of doom for years that me and my daughter tackled, still tackling it but it's not as doomy and is a bit roomy !
    Every single room needs "stuff gone".
    I'll be 50 in 2 years time so giving myself 2 years to get to basics. ... my aim is to live like you would in a caravan. ...You don't have much but you have enough, then in 9 or 10 years I will downsize
  • Marpau
    Marpau Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Bought some new Pjs today so added 2 pairs to CS bag
    1 sale will parcel and send in the morning
    Hubby did a tip run with several items
    Dropped off box of glass at recycling point after school run.
    🏅 x 1
    🌟 
    Declutter 150/2022
    Treat jar £92.63

• 1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Wednesday started off very cloudy & the promised rain came & went - about 15 minutes worth :rotfl: Then brightened up a bit - some sunshine & blue skies, then clouded over again & became rather chilly - but the rain held off. DH checked & cleaned the brake pads on one of his bikes, cut some wood to size ready for painting & putting up in shed for hooks, washed down garage door, sent email (in French) to sort something out for DSis.
    I did some phone banking, wrote a letter in French to sort out something else for DSis - she does bury her head but now they have our address I will feel happier when she stops receiving post from France ;) Google translate is marvellous :rotfl:
    The plumber arrived about 3:30 p.m. & commented on my weight loss - what a gent :D DH explained the plumbing problem whilst I walked to sm - the Egyptian Geese have returned :T -
    Got home after shopping to discover that the plumber had sorted the problem but that DH & DSis only just managed to scrape the money together to pay him :rotfl: as usually I pay him :p
    Dinner was fried pork steaks, mash, fried cherry tomatoes & green beans - not a morsel left on our plates & no los :D I managed to prepare the exact amount :j - 1st time ever & more luck than judgement :rotfl:

The best laid plans came to naught re the ‘Under Stairs Cupboard of Doom’ & as DH is out for lunchtime drinks tomorrow - no joint decluttering :( Sure am I, that I will find something to do whilst he is out.

1157 - 1163 Three drinks cans, cardboard packaging, magazine, 20 page A4 sized booklet, 250 page A4 Annual Report - Recycled
    1164 Shredding - Binned

Finally into cheerleading :rotfl:

Well Done bit by bit :T :money: & :A

Best wishes to you & your DH, keepcalmandcraft

chocolatelover93, I imagine it was a nice surprise - hidden clutter that may bring in some pennies :rotfl:

Well Done choille; Ginmonster (I did :rotfl: at the ‘mythical time’ comment); GreenQueen; Happy Kitties (that is what Bank holidays are for - rest & relaxation ;)); Ladybirdbaba - I wish you every success in your plans :); Marpau - one in, two out - you will soon be decluttered ;) :T

See you all tomorrow :j

MrsSD
    1164/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Roxie
    Roxie Posts: 635 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2019 at 4:01AM
    Thank you for having me :)

Slowly realising that I am going to have a battle on my hands as the rest of the family are so messy. I am a tidy person at heart but have just given in to the disorganised, chaotic mess for an easy life. Am looking at our home now with fresh 'decluttering' eyes and it really is overflowing, and mainly it is other peoples' mess. No surprise that I am constantly hearing 'Mum, have you seen my......' so I invested in 2 storage boxes yesterday so anything I can't dispose of will go into them and I can then just say 'look in your box' :D

I am still sticking to my plan to declutter the dining room at the weekend, but have also managed to tackle our dumping ground at the back door. 7 pairs of boots/shoes, 3 scarves and 2 jackets have gone into recycling and it looks so much better, probably for the short term but I have a cunning plan to start moving the clutter up to their rooms if the shoes start stacking up again.

Hubby is going to be the difficult one to re-educate as he is a bit of a hoarder and doesn't like to throw anything away as he 'might need it'. After the dining room is decluttered I will ask him to compare this to the mess of the living room and kitchen, hopefully he will then understand how living with so much unnecessary clutter is really starting to get me down and scramble my brain, with me it really is a case of ' tidy house, tidy mind'.

Hope I haven't have waffled on too much!
    MFW 2021 No: 33 £45000/£45000 Mortgage free @ 11/6/21 🥳
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Roxie

Good luck with the rest of the family. Lots of tales on here where new posters say exactly the kind of things as yourself however they often start posting in later days, weeks or (sorry) months that a member of the family has voluntarily sorted out a cupboard or got rid of some old rubbish that previously they would never have considered releasing before. So keep at it and gradually the woo (as it is known) does seem to permeate the house and they will get on board without you having to nag. :)

Good luck and keep at it, even if you only get the dining room how you like it for the next wee while at least you will have one room where you can go and be at peace.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure