PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Opposite of thrift - what brand do you not cheap out on?

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    - Comfort Blue fabric softener
    - Branston beans
    - Chinese-branded flavoured noodles
    - Hob-brite glass hob cleaner
    - Original source mint shower gel
    - HP sauce
    - Oxo stock cubes
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • nanto3girls
    nanto3girls Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Warburtons bread and crumpets
    Heinz beans, soup and Tomato ketchup
    Nescafe coffee
    HP brown sauce
    Birds eye fish fingers
    Hellmans mayonnaise
    Fairy washing up liquid
    Ariel washing liquid
    Comfort conditioner
    Yorkshire t bags
    Brillo brillo pads
    Mr Sheen furniture polish
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Gin & Tonic. Obviously.

Plymouth & Fevertree.
    I can understand that you like the taste of both - but at c80p per bottle Fevertree is IMHO a complete waste of money.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »

- Original source mint shower gel

My OH bought some of this, I was very glad when he finished it and asked him not to buy more. There's something very odd about the shower smelling of mint - I felt I was inhaling toothpaste
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Marmite.

No other lookalike comes anywhere close.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Marmite.

No other lookalike comes anywhere close.
    There are lookalikes?? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 December 2018 at 9:17AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I can understand that you like the taste of both - but at c80p per bottle Fevertree is IMHO a complete waste of money.

If you buy a particular gin like Plymouth because you like the flavour, what's the point of adding Sh** tonic? The Fevertree company was started by someone who used to work for Plymouth Gin and left specifically because they wouldn't branch out to develop a tonic that enhanced rather than drowned the flavour. I don't drink any more, but as I live next door to the distillery it's the only gin I drank, and I tried all the main brands and most of the tonics that were available. No contest, Fever Tree every time.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

It's not just the taste. It's that it's from Plymouth - where the OH and his family is from - and what can be sourced locally in terms of ingredients, is (the water they use literally runs underneath his Mum's house on its way there), the sloes used in the sloe variant grow where he lived until he left for university, etc. There is no way that, after all that (and yes, I do prefer the taste compared to any other gin I've ever tried), I'm going to slosh some nasty synthetic concoction in a yellow plastic bottle over it when I could add something from a recyclable glass bottle that actually tastes like tonic water, rather than flat, sour lemonade.

To bang out twenty quid plus on decent gin and then dump cheap tonic in it is comparable to baking scones only to reject proper clotted cream and homemade bramble, elderflower and lemon jam in favour of squirty cream substitute from a can and strawberry flavoured syrup, saying the latter is cheaper.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 December 2018 at 7:22PM
    Options
    We substitued Lidl Freeway for Diet Coke - very acceptable and only 40odd p for the 2l bottle

I agree on coffee - although Lidl "nespresso" capsules are also very good -especially the blue ones - 17p a pod means we hardly ever have a coffee out
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quantum finish dishwasher tablets
    Decent loo paper, it can be shops own brand, but the better varieties.
    Proper coffee, can’t drink instant :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport