Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• cymromanchester
    Options
    We have a worcester bosch boiler (12 months old) covered by 3 year warranty, also BG Homecare (Plumbing & Drains + Electrical) £135. Have just taken out Direct line home plus insurance (includes Home Emergency) so am I correct in thinking I should now cancel the BG Homecare or am i missing something?
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Options
    Home emergency has to be an emergency when someone wants me to discount a policy or they will move to some form of home emergency insurance but I simply cant get close to the price.

The biggest difference is that you need to be in an emergency for a call out e.g. a non emergency would not be claimable. What I cant understand is when someone is presented with a £50 p.a policy or a £200 p.a policy by cost alone they should know there are going to be differences.
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • cymromanchester
    Options
    What I cant understand is when someone is presented with a £50 p.a policy or a £200 p.a policy by cost alone they should know there are going to be differences.

I am trying to work out what that difference is ... or is it BG simply overcharging.

If I come home and the lights aren't working, as I read it it is covered on my home emergency policy, if there is a leak in the house it is also covered, so I am just trying to determine exactly what additional protection i get for keeping the BG Homecare?
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Gerrard_8_lfc Posts: 794 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2009 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Well if your lights are not working you mean all of them due to a major fault e.g. Total power failure. ok you are covered.

one faulty plug or light ? minimal fault. May not be covered

Blocked toilet is not an emergency either.

Again how bad is your "leak" it can be looked at two ways is the leak causing property damage maybe covered This would all depend on what insurer you are with.

Only emergency situations will be a attended with most Home emergency covers the working by the FSA An emergency is something that puts you or your family at risk <---- Important word

Homecare you can have a call out at any point to get a engineers judgement also your services and so on.

You pay for what you get

Care agreements are different from Insurance Plus you may have a excess to pay which is never good.

You can go for the cheaper homecare which is Flexi but it incurrs a £50 excess on a completed repair.

Hope that helps
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • adrienneadrienne
    Options
    jinco999 wrote: »
    I have recently been looking for boiler cover and have been looking at prices from £150 upwards, yet i noticed on another website that the Sun newspaper had an article in october recommending HOMECALLPLUS.

I had a look and sure enough cover, including a safety check, and boiler inspection for just £99, have a look at http://www.homecallplus.co.uk/

This looks like reasonable cover at a low price, especially the home emergency policy. Before I take the plunge I wonder anyone has had any dealings - good or bad - with homecallplus?
  • MyLittleEye
    Options
    The trick with self insurance is to cover multiple areas.
    I put aside fixed sums self insuring bicycle, dental, computer, mobile phone, boiler and heating. I'm chancing that I won't be hit by multiple expenses at the same time. When I started I would use the first (expensive) quote that came to hand until I achieved a reserve 'pot' of £1000. Now If I'm offered a cheaper deal I'll adjust each 'self insurance premium' accordingly. I actually have multiple standing orders referenced INS-bike, INS-boiler etc so as to track which is which. Another strategy I use is to to take out cheap cheap emergency cover for, say, breakdown, but research the cost of more comprehensive options. I then put aside the difference - It all adds to the Pot.
    So far so good - no major emergencies. The hope is that when the time comes to replace stuff there will be enough money to cover it yet still have enough left over for emergencies. Time will tell.
    He's not the MSE'er. He's a very naughty boy!
  • j26
    j26 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a call from a persuasive Scottish guy this evening offering a 'special price' of £14.69 (ish)pm for Central heating cover equal or better to our existing cover with BG.

4 hour call-out time, pipework covered under floors and in walls. No sub contractors...all Eon engineers etc. etc.....

He's ringing back in a week but the past posts on hear suggest that it would be a bad move to change to Eon cover unless anyone out there has any recent good experiences with this company.

Well folks...... I'm waiting.....
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    I have a year old boiler in the attic and have decided not to insure it. It is not a combi so I can heat my hot water by electric (which I rarely do as everything in my house is cold water fill so I just boil a kettle to wash, shower is electric, no bath). Also I have a wood burner which can heat my 2 bed bungalow by just leaving the doors open in the house. My boiler is LPG and extraordinarily expensive so rarely use it anyway. If it gets to cold it starts central heating up itself and it always running the pump for a few minutes and few times every day. I think its kind of servicing itself? With the lack of use and the fact that the house is still heat-able IE I wont get froozen pipes I really don't think its worth it ?????????
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    The trick with self insurance is to cover multiple areas.
    I put aside fixed sums self insuring bicycle, dental, computer, mobile phone, boiler and heating. I'm chancing that I won't be hit by multiple expenses at the same time. When I started I would use the first (expensive) quote that came to hand until I achieved a reserve 'pot' of £1000. Now If I'm offered a cheaper deal I'll adjust each 'self insurance premium' accordingly. I actually have multiple standing orders referenced INS-bike, INS-boiler etc so as to track which is which. Another strategy I use is to to take out cheap cheap emergency cover for, say, breakdown, but research the cost of more comprehensive options. I then put aside the difference - It all adds to the Pot.
    So far so good - no major emergencies. The hope is that when the time comes to replace stuff there will be enough money to cover it yet still have enough left over for emergencies. Time will tell.
    Reference insuring bicycles--most are covered by home insurance--IE for items lost away from the home--if you are covering them away from home. All my bikes are covered away from the home unless they are worth more than £800 (NFU insurance) and my previous company Co op insurance covered them as well. JB
  • ANGLICANPAT
    ANGLICANPAT Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ive been thinking of dumping BG 200 as well. Been looking at this company -google
    heating care 0800 007 6464 £49 per service . Any thoughts?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback