Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• jaundice_2
    Options
    I rent my house out to and want to have decent boiler/heater cover but most of companies seem to rule out landlords.

Does anyone know how I can get decent cover so that my tenant is left in the cold?
  • Calire
    Options
    Hi all

following the installation of a water meter, I realised that the three houses next to me share my water supply as well as drains - they all meet centrally in my garden before going out to the road.

As a result I thought it a good idea to get drains insurance - but most of them seem to exclude shared drains.

has anyone got any advice/ suggestions of where I can get this cover - I assume I would be responsible for any collapsed shared drains or indeed my neighbours drains before they meet each other as they run under my land

thanks
  • JHWilts
    JHWilts Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Jaundice - you could get them to set it up - my tenant has her own poolocy - and then deduct that from the rent.
    Mortgage from £100,400 to currently £77,100 in 7 years:beer:
    Starting 2014 goal of seriously cracking my debt! If I wouldn't buy it full price - why bother in the sale :rotfl::money::T:j
  • greyhound31
    Options
    I have had British Gas boiler cover for the past 12 months costing £15 a month. Its been well worth it as they have serviced the boiler and had call outs a number of times.

Just had a letter through today stating my DD for a new year will be £17.55 a month, a 17% increase!! Is this their new pricing policy or am I being stung? If I get a quote as a new customer its still only £15 a month.

Anyone had the same problem? Are there any alternatives to BG?
  • guy123_2
    guy123_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Avoid this firm. I was left for 6 weeks without heating in Christmas 2007. I have a full Court judgement for over 200 pounds in my favour. Coverheat failed to call, failed to mend, ignored correspondence, ignored telephone calls, treated the court with sheer complacency. I still have not had my premium refunded. They are the pits. They even told the court that they had never heard of me (until I produced the contract!) They pretend that they are coming to your boiler, but infact attempt to contact local firms to help them out. Do not waste your money with this shower.

I also had a coverheat policy.Got the recommendation from this site and at first they were spot on.Had a problem after a cple of months of joining,(how fortunate i took this cover out) and the engineer sorted it out no probs.I've recently been trying to contact them for my service but keep getting a stupid answer message which after a while sounds like a rap song! I've e-mailed and called at all hours,even called at 3am as i was on nights.All i got was the same message so today i cancelled my direct debit and will pop them a line explaining that i have cancelled due to me not recieving the service i am paying for. So as the gent above mentioned, AVOID !
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    guy123 wrote: »
    I also had a coverheat policy.Got the recommendation from this site and at first they were spot on.Had a problem after a cple of months of joining,(how fortunate i took this cover out) and the engineer sorted it out no probs.I've recently been trying to contact them for my service but keep getting a stupid answer message which after a while sounds like a rap song! I've e-mailed and called at all hours,even called at 3am as i was on nights.All i got was the same message so today i cancelled my direct debit and will pop them a line explaining that i have cancelled due to me not recieving the service i am paying for. So as the gent above mentioned, AVOID !

Won't be difficult to avoid them as they have ceased trading.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/apr/25/home-insurance-coverheat-boiler

Watch out for the same people, starting Coverheat mk 2
  • stingrayj
    stingrayj Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    my boiler is playing up. I have no policy. can't wait a month for hot water, so any policies out there allow you a to get someone out after a week or so?
  • HELS
    HELS Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I have been on British Gas Homecare for about 20 years and have recently realised that each year the service date seems to be a month or 2 later. I think that this means that every few years I am paying for a service that I don't get. Worth checking. I am looking at other providers now.
  • 3toedsloth
    Options
    Hels, British gas no longer send out reminders that a service is due (to save paper which is fair enough). We the customers are expected to remember and ring them to book without prompting. If you forget BG will eventually remind you but only a couple of months after your boiler/central heating service was due. So how many people do you think will be getting a service every 14 or 15 months instead of every 12 months. Couldn't possibly be a ulterior motive in stopping the reminders could there? But then again why not offer to e-mail if it was just to save paper?

We are fed up with British Gas. The amount that is done for the service reduces each year (but not the cost) and we are constantly offered the opportunity to buy all sorts of additional cover we don't want. This time the sub-contractor who did it said he didn't have certain items that were needed although he would have done had been an actual British Gas fitter rather than a sub-contractor. The lack of a reminder is the last straw. If they can't be bothered to tell us a service is due we can't be bothered to use them. Looking around for another provider now.
  • JULIED44
    Options
    Frankly, if you can affford to pay British Gas a monthly insurance fee - don't pay it to them - put it in a separate bank account and save it - use it on your heating if you need it.

Get your boiler serviced now (during the summer/warmer months), from a Gas Safe Registered Installer, don't wait until the winter when it does break down.

Most of these policies do not cover plumbing. Most of the engineers do not work for BG but are sub-contracted, and frankly any good engineer nowadays is self-employed.

JAUNDICE - you post about your rented out property - when you get your Gas Safety Landlord Certificate done - (should be done annually), get your boiler serviced at the same time along with any other plumbing appliances, get your engineer to tighten nuts etc.

Hope this was helpful - I am the wife of a heating engineer and am still very surprised at how someone services their car annually, goes to the dentish annually - but doesnt think about their boiler serviced annually in their house that could be killing them with dangerous gases! A boiler serviced could be as little as £60.

As I said go to the gas safe register website (sorry wont let me type links), - don't bother with yelllow pages.

Good luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure