Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• freder_2
    Options
    Which is dearest, gas or electric?
    would it pay to only have electric? if I did then I would not need to pay for gas boiler cover, which is going up and up even though my usage of gas is going down and down.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    freder wrote: »
    Which is dearest, gas or electric?
    would it pay to only have electric? if I did then I would not need to pay for gas boiler cover, which is going up and up even though my usage of gas is going down and down.

Loads of threads on this subject.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1127697

Despite the latest increases gas is by a long way cheaper than electricity in running costs.
  • KittaKatta
    Options
    After being decently happy with British Gas for 5 years (though paying more than new customers... but by ringing them once a year, I managed to get about a 10% discount anyway), a few months back they left us with no heater for 3 weeks during a cold spell, and missed two appointments, so I decided to move to Homeserve (with whom I already had a policy for drains, and with whom I have been extremely happy so far). Went through Rpoints, got cashback on top of it, and approximately £5.00 saving a month. Homserve also include pest control in their policy, and since we had a problem with mice earlier this year, which cost us about £130.00 to solve, we are even more keen... Unfortunately our policy does not include the boiler safety check, but by moving back to BG next year as a new customer, I should get that sorted again, and I should get the 'new customer' price. How mad is all this fiddle with changing providers though!? I wish we could just stay with someone who offers a good service, and a good price, year after year...
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there any other companies out there who can offer a similar service to homecare 400?? MY RENEWAL is over £50 a month!!!!!!

Cancel,

Signup again through Quidco, recieive..

£52for Homecare Plumbing, Drains and Home Electrical Care

Then you'll be on new customer prices.
  • kirkie_2
    kirkie_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had my renewal from British Gas and they want £15 a month (£180.00).

This is more than I paid last year and I have never claimed. I am currently on HomeCare Flexi 300.

Any recommendations on changing company?
  • bobmedley
    bobmedley Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    toadhall wrote: »
    all well and good but what about oil boilers?:confused:
    anyone know of of a reliable company

I buy a yearly insurance at £85 p.a. that covers the boiler and;
    • Water circulating pump
    • Warm air circulating fan
    • Time clock and programmer
    • Motorised valve
    • Fire safety valve
    • Frost stats
    - if you pay £44 extra, then you can cover the entire system. This is available from Shell UK and I am sure there are others.

A condition is that it must be serviced & I get that done by Emo Oil (OFTEC engineers) and that is another £90'ish (although I notice that Boilerjuice have a service on offer at £60 - I've not used them yet).

I have a Trianco Utility boiler of 1999 vintage & have not had a single problem with it, so (thankfully) cannot comment how good these people are as and when you may need them.
  • Mazio_2
    Mazio_2 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry this is for gas central heating I flicked forums and didnt notice.
    I have just got cover for the first time ever through EON I have both gas and electric through them anyway its £13 a month and covers entire heating system including hot water tank.
    It also includes safety inspection and maintenance inspection which includes any cleaning or parts it needs and I dont have to have a seperate service so this is the total price of £156 a year but no need to have service which I can get for £40 but I would have to pay for any spares as well so £116 for full cover.
    The EON engineer also said they do NOT use third parties they have their own engineers as well.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • RobertE02
    Options
    It is essential that people cover their Gas systems in the home. Even if they are brand new, the warranty might not cover what you think it does. And some people think they have warranty but realise they don't when something goes wrong because the installer of the Boiler has'nt registered it with the Manufactuer. Also it is not just for breakdowns and emergencies, the company I work for (not British Gas) offer a Full Strip down service to the Manufactuers standards. Now this will improve the safety and efficiency of your boiler. And by that I mean your boiler will have a prolonged life and you will save money off your gas bills. And its all very well being given advice to "self insure" (put the money you would spend in a high interest savings account and then blow it on a holiday to Benidorm), but CORGI engineers who have small firms or are a one man band response times are, on average 3-5 days, thats 3-5 days of no hot water, no heating and a heap of dirty washing! And will they come out on Bank Holidays/Xmas/New Year when most boilers break down? I think not. Now I understand that people have bad experiences, but you will have bad experiences from pretty much every company out there at one time or another. And no one likes telesales calls, but they are only doing their job. Do you think they like ringing people up and getting told to sod off all day? I promise you...we don't!
  • jinco999
    Options
    I have recently been looking for boiler cover and have been looking at prices from £150 upwards, yet i noticed on another website that the Sun newspaper had an article in october recommending HOMECALLPLUS.

I had a look and sure enough cover, including a safety check, and boiler inspection for just £99, have a look at http://www.homecallplus.co.uk/
  • wanna_be_saver
    Options
    Hi, I live in a new house, about 6 months old. My boiler has a 2 year guarantee. I've got British Gas boiler cover, for annual service. Do I actually need this? Or should I wait for the guarantee to be up and cancel the policy til then?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback