Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• cheapomum
    Options
    Had a terrible experience with Safegas. We have had cover with them for over 6 years and never called them out. Our boiler broke down on Friday and I called them out Saturday. Engineer came and said it needed a new gas valve, he would order one and return Monday to fit. Another engineer came very late Monday with a part - not a gas valve, which didn't work. They have now decided that, because Worcester Bosch say our boiler is obsolete, even though the gas valve is still available in local gas merchants, they are under no obligation to repair it and our only option is to replace the boiler. They have been happy to take our money each month, knowing what boiler we have, yet refuse to work on it. Staff completely unhelpful. Needless to say I have cancelled our cover with them. Now sat with no heating or hot water and 2 children at home until we can get a gas engineer to come.
    Don't trust Safegas at all, they would have continued taking our money indefinitely if I hadn't called them out. Their excuse was that it's in their terms and conditions, however they haven't sent me a copy since I took out this cover many years ago
  • Watson306
    Options
    Hi,
    I have an issue that is causing myself and my family quite a bit of stress and I am hoping and Looking for a bit of advise.
    We have a Boiler service agreement/Insurance with npower for a Vaillant Boiler, and have done so for nearly 3 years.
    Now we have only had to make use of it once (in August this year they replaced the expansion vessel as pressure was dropping), but around a week ago it brought up an F75 error and would not heat central heating system or hot water.
    I immediatley called the customer service line, and they said they could not get someone out until after the weekend.
    So Monday came (after no heating or hot water all weekend), and the engineer turned up (different engineer to the previous 2 that we had - now both left the company).
    He dismantled the boiler to take a look and said this doesnt look good, and then said that it needed various parts, and that because the amount of parts that it needed he wouldnt be able to order them up without speaking to his field service manager.
    So he made some notes and looked at the water (took a sample - visual test) and said that the water appeared to not have any inhibitor in and should have in a hard water area.
    He then went out to his van to make the call to the field service manager who said that they would not be able to carry out the work.
    The problem I have with this is that I personally put inhibitor in the system (max of 3 years ago - which he said it needed doing every 3 years), our system also has an in line Furnox TF1 filter which I explained to him.
    This engineer said that there were notes on our account to say that they had seen scale in the boiler when did the first service but I was not advised of this (we have a booklet but most of the notes in the booklet are totally unreadable).
    The engineer also mentioned that two of the parts that need replacing have been an issue on this particular model of Boiler (which he has seen personally), and Vaillant have updated the parts over the years, but have not admitted there is a problem.
    So obviously what I am axtremely angry about is that we have been paying for this agreement, and all along they have noted that they have seen scale in the boiler and so could at any point use it to not honour a repair to the boiler if it was water related, but because nobody eveer told us of this we were not to know of the issue.
    Also the expansion vessel in a boiler obviously carries water and so why was this changed only 2/3 months ago?
    Should they be testing the water for inhibitor when they do a annual service and then advising if the level is low?
    I feel now right or wrongly the two previous engineers were the type of guys that just went for the easy life and didnt advise us of anything that may cause a future issue, and should the 2nd engineer have agreed to replace the expansion vessel if there was a water issue. It seems that they may have been doing us a favour short term, but obviously now it feels they may have let us down (conveniently they have now left the company), and then it would seem we have had the complete opposit guy attnd last Monday and he wants to do everything by the book.
    So if I wish to pursue this - do I stand any chance at all, and if so what should my stance be (as I feel there are several historical errors on there part)?
  • MardyBum
    Options
    Watson306 wrote: »
    I feel now right or wrongly the two previous engineers were the type of guys that just went for the easy life and didnt advise us of anything that may cause a future issue, and should the 2nd engineer have agreed to replace the expansion vessel if there was a water issue. It seems that they may have been doing us a favour short term, but obviously now it feels they may have let us down (conveniently they have now left the company), and then it would seem we have had the complete opposit guy attnd last Monday and he wants to do everything by the book.
    So if I wish to pursue this - do I stand any chance at all, and if so what should my stance be (as I feel there are several historical errors on there part)?

Hi Watson

When I was with Npower, part of their annual service involved a check list of items covering everything from me having a carbon monoxide detector to inhibitor being needed in the system. It looked like part safety/maintenance check and part selling opportunity for further services.

They gave me a copy of the list and told me they would supply a quote for the further work (in this case we didn't have room thermostat etc.) As such it might be worth asking them for copies of these from your previous annual services to see if anything shows up?

If they didn't flag anything on the previous visits then you've probably got a good come back on you current problem.
  • pops66
    pops66 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I have £17 a month BG cover for my gas boiler, CH pump and hot water cylinder. Annual boiler service. Boiler is old and covered for repair but not replacement. Have had two CH pumps and new hot water cylinder "free" over the years.

But fed up with the BG engineers always trying to sell me stuff, so looked around today for an alternative. But I can't find one! E.G. Homeserve look flaky.

Is there an alternative to BG for boiler service & repair and cover for CH pump and hot water tank? Maybe it's a case of stick with the devil you know...
  • sharpharp
    Options
    pops66 wrote: »
    I have £17 a month BG cover for my gas boiler, CH pump and hot water cylinder. Annual boiler service. Boiler is old and covered for repair but not replacement. Have had two CH pumps and new hot water cylinder "free" over the years.

But fed up with the BG engineers always trying to sell me stuff, so looked around today for an alternative. But I can't find one! E.G. Homeserve look flaky.

Is there an alternative to BG for boiler service & repair and cover for CH pump and hot water tank? Maybe it's a case of stick with the devil you know...

I'm in the same position, been with BG for a couple of years, but got the renewal and they've jacked the price up by £5 from next month, so needless to say I'm looking elsewhere.
    SSE are offering a good deal, with 6 months free for the first year, but I'd like to know if anyone here has used SSE Shield cover and what their experience has been like?

I had considered npower Homeserve, but the reviews everywhere say they should be avoided like the plague.

Anyone else suggest any reliable Boiler cover?
  • I'd like to get a combined breakdown policy with 1 company for my boiler, electric cooker, ridge, washing machine, electrics, wiring and plumbing. Only British Gas seem to do this.

Does any other company do this, as I can't seem to find alternatives.
    With BG, I'd have to buy the Homecare 4 policy (£17.50 with a 10% online discount) + cover for the cooker and washing machine (£2.35 per item - online price). That will be £22.20 for 12 months, then before the Homecare 4 price goes up to £19.50 - £24.20).
  • windchime70
    Options
    Hi all,

Hopefully someone can give me advice on my mums boiler problems.

My mum had a boiler fitted by BG 15 years ago and took the Homecare 200 policy out with it. This policy includes Annual Service, Boiler and Controls, central heating. She has religiously paid this and had the services for 15 years. The other day her heating broke down and the engineer came out and said she needed a new boiler which could cost between £2000-3000, as she is not covered for replacement. So now at the age of 74 she is going to have to get a loan!
    I have looked at her policy and it states:

A replacement for your boiler if we can’t repair it and:
    • It’s less than seven years old
    • Or, it’s between seven and ten years old and we installed it and it’s been covered by us ever since
    • Or, it caught fire or exploded, providing you gave us access to carry out your annual service every year since we first covered you

My mum had no idea that after 10 years she would not be covered for a replacement. I am more up set that BG did not inform her 5 years ago that she would never be able to claim for a replacement if its beyond repair, but carried on taking her money for something she could never claim for (unless it caught fire lol).

I no i am probably looking at this with an angry head and there is nothing i can do or BG are completely right. However i would like to know other peoples opinion on this. There could be other elderly people out there who have loyally stayed with BG thinking they have cover

Thanks for any replys/advice
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps worth getting a second opinion from independent heating engineer, as BG like to sell boilers!

Also depending on situation/income etc perhaps looking at Government schemes https://www.boilergrants.co.uk/eco/
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • windchime70
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I will get a second opinion and go from there. My parents do not get pension credits as their pension is £1 over the threshold lol. Sadly they can not apply for the free boiler.

Thanks again for the reply
  • ConsumerJoe
    Options
    Ensure to get a new boiler every 10 years as parts become more difficult to obtain and a boiler which is 10 years old is less likely to be as efficient as a new boiler so best to replace it. :):money:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback