Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Ensure to get a new boiler every 10 years as parts become more difficult to obtain and a boiler which is 10 years old is less likely to be as efficient as a new boiler so best to replace it. :):money:

Welcome to the forum.

With respect, on a Money Saving Website that is very poor advice.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Can a floor mounted boiler be replaced under the scheme ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Super_Stomper
    Options
    Hi all,

Hopefully someone can give me advice on my mums boiler problems.

My mum had a boiler fitted by BG 15 years ago and took the Homecare 200 policy out with it. This policy includes Annual Service, Boiler and Controls, central heating. She has religiously paid this and had the services for 15 years. The other day her heating broke down and the engineer came out and said she needed a new boiler which could cost between £2000-3000, as she is not covered for replacement. So now at the age of 74 she is going to have to get a loan!
    I have looked at her policy and it states:

A replacement for your boiler if we can’t repair it and:
    • It’s less than seven years old
    • Or, it’s between seven and ten years old and we installed it and it’s been covered by us ever since
    • Or, it caught fire or exploded, providing you gave us access to carry out your annual service every year since we first covered you

My mum had no idea that after 10 years she would not be covered for a replacement. I am more up set that BG did not inform her 5 years ago that she would never be able to claim for a replacement if its beyond repair, but carried on taking her money for something she could never claim for (unless it caught fire lol).

I no i am probably looking at this with an angry head and there is nothing i can do or BG are completely right. However i would like to know other peoples opinion on this. There could be other elderly people out there who have loyally stayed with BG thinking they have cover

Thanks for any replys/advice

I came across this post whilst looking for suitable alternatives to BG Homecare cover as the price has gone up horrendously over the last 2 tears (and can't find any!).

I think quite a few people are likely to be caught out by this 10 year limit (as the small print is very difficult to wade though to pick up that sort of fact) but it's not exclusive to British Gas, or even to appliance insurance policies in general. I hope you got a 2nd opinion.

I certainly wouldn't pay BG prices to get the boiler replaced but go to an independent local provider who could fit one for much lower costs.

And I DON'T subscribe to the idea that you must renew your boiler after 10 years as a matter of course. My last boiler kept going for 20 years before it really WAS impossible to get spare parts for it! It's better to set up a slush fund for a few pounds each week to cover unexpected costs such as this. Much better than spending the same amount on lottery tickets!

I would be interested to find out how you got on.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I came across this post whilst looking for suitable alternatives to BG Homecare cover as the price has gone up horrendously over the last 2 tears (and can't find any!).

I think quite a few people are likely to be caught out by this 10 year limit (as the small print is very difficult to wade though to pick up that sort of fact) but it's not exclusive to British Gas, or even to appliance insurance policies in general. I hope you got a 2nd opinion.

I certainly wouldn't pay BG prices to get the boiler replaced but go to an independent local provider who could fit one for much lower costs.

And I DON'T subscribe to the idea that you must renew your boiler after 10 years as a matter of course. My last boiler kept going for 20 years before it really WAS impossible to get spare parts for it! It's better to set up a slush fund for a few pounds each week to cover unexpected costs such as this. Much better than spending the same amount on lottery tickets!

I would be interested to find out how you got on.

My boiler is about 12 years old and still going well. I have never had boiler cover at all. I found a reputable gas firm which services mine every year and does repairs if needed (only happened once when the mother board failed). Meanwhile I have a reserve fund for emergencies and I am saving for a new boiler when needed.
  • Moneysavingsal
    Options
    Just looking at taking out cover which includes an annual service. What companies do people recommend?
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My boiler is serviced every autumn by a local independent, and they will come out when needed. But shouldn't as it's correctly serviced by them
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Henry-Root
    Options
    Just been requoted by BG an extotionate figure for renewal. Problem is I have a 10 year old boiler althoughh quite reliable and parts available. Any ideas who else is best? Can't find guide. :j
    :T If a job needs doing, do it :T
  • Cardew
    Options
    Henry-Root wrote: »
    Just been requoted by BG an extotionate figure for renewal. Problem is I have a 10 year old boiler althoughh quite reliable and parts available. Any ideas who else is best? Can't find guide. :j

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/boiler-insurance

All of these schemes have come in for a huge amount of criticism on MSE and elsewhere.

Frankly with a 10 old boiler you are wasting your money - particularly with the 'Big Boys'

The standard practice is to state you need a 'Power flush' which is not covered by the scheme and costs several hundred pounds.

Try and find a reliable local gas registered plumber is the best advice.
  • sheridanslack
    Options
    I have just got my British Gas Home care cover down 30% by calling up, but it is still considerably more than the U-Switch quote for 24/7 home rescue for what looks like a similar deal. Does anyone have any reviews or experience of 24/7? Is it worth paying the extra for BG?
  • Cardew
    Options
    I have just got my British Gas Home care cover down 30% by calling up, but it is still considerably more than the U-Switch quote for 24/7 home rescue for what looks like a similar deal. Does anyone have any reviews or experience of 24/7? Is it worth paying the extra for BG?

30+ people in this thread seem to have the same experience with 24/7

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5141494
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport