UK passport holders will require EU travel document from 2021

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The EU will be introducing the ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) in 2021, which will require UK passport holder (among many others) to pay 7 Euros for a document lasting 3 years in order to travel in the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46564884

Strictly speaking, it is Brits traveling to the Schengen area that will need ETIAS, not Brits traveling to the EU.

It won't apply to Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, or Croatia.

It will apply to Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 17 December 2018 at 2:15PM
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    We always travel in Europe with just an EHIC card. I've got plenty of money in the bank though because I haven't wasted it on insurance over the years. You don't need an air ambulance - you just stay there. There is no point repatriating a dead body. Do people buy travel insurance for UK holidays?

Jeez that's just dumb.

As someone who was hospitalised in Tasmania and finally flown home with my wife post op and recovery at the time of the Iceland ash cloud problems, for which my insurers shelled out almost £50,000, I'll carry on paying for insurance thanks!
  • Nick_C
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Jeez that's just dumb.

As someone who was hospitalised in Tasmania and finally flown home with my wife post op and recovery at the time of the Iceland ash cloud problems, for which my insurers shelled out almost £50,000, I'll carry on paying for insurance thanks!

Its not dumb at all, as long as you understand the risks and have the means to deal with incidents with your own resources. It can be smart.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Its not dumb at all, as long as you understand the risks and have the means to deal with incidents with your own resources. It can be smart.

I have a pre-existing illness and my annual comprehensive travel insurance policy cost £140. I'd have to live for a long time to make that worse value than self funding. Even if you traveled for 100 years, you would only need one £50k incident to wipe out any savings.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    I find comparing paying £6 every three years to tens of thousands of people losing their lives in one of histories darkest hours rather disrespectful to their memory to be honest.

I can assure you as an ex-serviceman who spent 23 years in uniform that I have every respect for those who 'fell', and those that came home 'scarred'.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Hard to see why you would need to spend £50k as a result of an incident in an EU country where you have the same health cover as a local.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hard to see why you would need to spend £50k as a result of an incident in an EU country where you have the same health cover as a local.

I reckon Air Ambulances and accompanying staff don't come cheap
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Nick_C
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    I reckon Air Ambulances and accompanying staff don't come cheap

Why do you need an air ambulance? Stay put until you are better.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options

Not necessarily the samecover. That depends on whether you end up in a state run hospital or a private one, and even in a state run hospital you may have to pay for your treatment and then claim the cost back.

Relying on the EHIC alone isn't sensible in my view especially as for most people travel insurance can be bought pretty cheaply if you shop about.
  • Nick_C
    edited 17 December 2018 at 11:31PM
    Options
    harz99 wrote: »
    Not necessarily the samecover. That depends on whether you end up in a state run hospital or a private one, and even in a state run hospital you may have to pay for your treatment and then claim the cost back.

Precisely the same cover as a local. People pay for private treatment. And some countries require you to pay something for your treatment and then claim it back.

Is a question of attitude to risk I guess. Since people would take out travel insurance when going to another party of the UK. Personally, I wouldn't. Neither would I take out insurance for a trip to mainland France.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure