UK passport holders will require EU travel document from 2021

Options

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The charges are never much. It's like being asked to pay for prescriptions or dentists in the UK. I could easily afford it. I had forgotten I get free travel insurance from Nationwide anyway.
  • Jetslick
    Options
    How the hell are Brexiters defending this? "It's not much money" it adds up if you're a family and it's just another add-on to a list of things making us poorer.

Why are we even Brexiting??? It's unfathomably stupid.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Jetslick wrote: »
    How the hell are Brexiters defending this? "It's not much money" it adds up if you're a family and it's just another add-on to a list of things making us poorer.

7 Euros per person every three years? If you can't afford that, then you can't really afford an overseas holiday. Get real.

Because the majority of voters want us to be an independent nation, with our MPs making our laws, and not having them imposed on us my a foreign parliament. The way normal democracies work. Its eminently sensible.
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options

Only people aged 18 - 70 years will pay the fee. There is no charge for children.

Also, Brexit won't make any difference to UK citizens having to pay the fee. We would have to pay anyway, as the UK is not a signatory to the Schengen Agreement.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Defending what? I'm not answerable to you.

Life changes, adapt or fail.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also, Brexit won't make any difference to UK citizens having to pay the fee. We would have to pay anyway, as the UK is not a signatory to the Schengen Agreement.
    No - according to current plans, citizens of non-Schengen EU countries will not require an ETIAS. That would include UK if it remained an EU member.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 December 2018 at 4:39PM
    Options

Its not a matter of defending it. It is now the new normal and one of the changes we must accept as not being part of the EU.

If you dont want to pay it, dont go to Europe. :)

Or rediscover your Irish roots and get dual citizenship.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only people aged 18 - 70 years will pay the fee. There is no charge for children.

It won't make much difference in terms of holidays (though insurance costs will probably go up if EHIC is withdrawn) but it will be a much harder for anyone wanting to study, live or work in the EU. It's hard to see where the benefits will be for UK citizens.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    ... it will be much harder for anyone wanting to study, live or work in the EU.

I am currently in Japan. I have come across a large number of Brits who are studying or working here.

Last time I checked, Japan had not joined the EU.

I also have British friends who study, work, or merely live in the USA.

It may not be as simple to move to EU countries in future, but it won't be impossible.

And if course free movement mainly benefits EU Citizens who come to Britain because they can't find work in their own countries.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options

Because those of us who have spent our lives in UK exporting industries have had our fill of trying to deal with the EU.
    In fact we found it easier to do business with just about any other country in the world rather than an EU country where the objective seemed to be do everything to prevent a UK getting business in the country.

Single market my !!! - but I suppose for those who have only seen the EU from a perspective of having holidays there, this is all news to you.

Extract as much money form us as possible while giving the odd scrap back in a few EU grants seemed to be the modus operandi of the EU.

...and that's why so many people voted leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure