🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Slipping Through My Fingers

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I agree that it makes sense to rent the house if you don't need the money to pay off your own mortgage. It's very hard for young people to get on the housing ladder, so anything that gives them a head start is good :).

How nice to have a larger allowance too :D.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,758 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Hi Beanie, yes extra cash is never to be sniffed at is it :) Just need to think what to do with it before 1st April - which can't come soon enough :D

Hubby wasn't sure whether to sell the house but I thought we should hold on to it for a while and see how letting it goes. He's an only one so it was just his decision which helps. Even if we'd sold it and banked the money we'd not make anywhere near as much in interest as we will in rent. The other consideration was the way the young 'uns are struggling to get on the housing ladder these days it might be a stepping stone for them in the future. xx

Great idea.
    The one next door to me is going on to the letting market at an eye watering sum soon! xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We've still got a mortgage HHD but the thinking behind it is the rent is more than what we pay out, plus we'll still have the house. Nothing is owed on parent-in-laws's house so we'll get the full benefit of the rent - minus the letting agent's fees of course. xx

Beanie, I can imagine the rent being eye watering. The way they're going it won't be long before young people are struggling to pay those, let alone get a mortgage :( The rent money feels odd. We've always shared everything financially but somehow this feels like it should just be hubby's money as it's from his family home even though it's going into our joint account. xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    If you're married then all your assets are legally shared, so you should feel like the money is yours too. You're raising the children and take care of the house, so even if he's earnt more money in his lifetime, how much would he have paid for a child minder and a cleaner/housekeeper?
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • teafor2
    Options
    It's just my feeling HHD, there's absolutely no reason for me to feel that way, I just do :o It's going in the joint account so any one of us can get to it :D At the moment I've got the better deal with some more spends - whereas the remainder needs to be left untouched if possible so we can build some funds back up. xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,758 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Earmark some of the rent to the CC? xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teafor2
    Options
    Probably Beanie, but not just yet. We both want to get the cash back up. What I should be doing is paying the extra spends off the CC, which I need to think about :o

I've taken 3 fairly big chunks of money from the joint account recently for something I wanted to do that hubby could have said no to and would have had every right to do so, but he didn't. He just said OK with very few questions asked. I know that's a bit cryptic but he's right, we need to get some cash back in our account for the time being. xx
  • teafor2
    Options
    Day 28/31, NSD's 15/15, Prolific £1.50 cleared, £1 pending, Cash for 22nd-31st March £0

Another quiet day today. Weather is nice again so will probably take a brew and sit in the garden with a book for a while. Need to look at the joint account ready for the new month. It's the first month since Christmas where we've not got to pay out for something other than normal household bills/expenses.

I'm going to mention I've had no surveys all week in the hopes somebody will hear me and send some through :D

Hope you all have a good day. xx
  • teafor2
    Options
    Morning Everybody :)

Day 1/30, NSD's 0/15, Prolific £1.50 cleared, £1.55 Pending. Cash for 1st-7th April £29.50

I've not been on here much over the weekend so I need to catch up with everybody but I hope you all had a lovely Mothering Sunday.

A new month and a fresh start with the finances.

First up the credit card. After today's payment plus an extra £4 and £15 (see below) the figure now stands at £1,439.

I decided to split the £45 extra spends equally, so £15 has gone to the CC, £15 towards some plants for the garden and £15 into the caravan pot which will come in handy with it being the Easter hols.

Which means there's the usual £240 left in the kitty. £122 has been put into the relevant pots leaving £118 which divided by 4 weeks = £29.50 per week.

Pots now look like this:

Savings £75
    DS Savings £40
    Christmas £47
    Caravan £60
    Dogs £25
    Hairdressers £20
    Christmas Charity £11
    Credit Card extra payment £40
    CC Bonus Money £0

Shoppix: 1345/3200 Receipt Hog: 1236/1500

Have a great day everybody. xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I hope you enjoyed Mother's Day and that you get lots and lots of surveys soon :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport