Slipping Through My Fingers

Options

Comments

• nomorecredit
    Options
    Evening Tea

Well done to your son that's just fab x

Glad you got DD's move sorted and you enjoyed the coffee, I am sure things taste better when you aren't paying for them.

Hope you have a lovely evening

NMC x
    House Savings - £28.83
    Emergency Savings - £105.19
    Christmas Savings 2020 - £300
    No spend days - 13/15
    Debt:: MBNA: £100/£2,653.25 NEXT: £199.00/£199.00 Paid 13/03/20 :)
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Helllllo tea

That's amazing news about DS, you must be really proud. I'm the same about scanning things, it's easy once you can the hang of it but forget by the time I need to do it again. I normal send it to work with hubby for him to copy....naughty I know!
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you NMC, DS is really excited about going. The guarantor thing was a pain in the rear end and I hope I don't have to do anything like that again any time soon. :o x

CG, that's it exactly. If somebody shows me how to do something on the laptop I can do it, but if I'm not doing it every day there's no way I remember. Think half the reason is technology really doesn't interest me one bit. xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tea for 2 maybe you could give some advice to Hairy Hand of Dartmoor about being a guarantor for rent , her son has asked her to be his.

Well done to your DS for his excellent work , the weekend away sounds very interesting. In the lakes as well , my favourite place.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria :).

Hi Teafor2 :wave:. I've been meaning to read your thread and now Cumbria has suggested I ask your advice about being a guarantor for the rent of a child at uni.

My son has asked DH and I to be guarantors and we're worried because we have defaults on our credit file and a very small income :(. In addition we're worried about what kind of financial commitment we may be letting ourselves in for legally :(.

Have you got on okay being a guarantor for your DD? I hope you don't mind me asking. Sorry to crash onto your diary and ask for advice suddenly :o.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • teafor2
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria. We used to go to the lakes a lot back in the day. Not for a while now though, we should rectify that at some point :) Happy to help HHD so will go and try and do that now. x
  • teafor2
    Options
    Hi HHD, nice to meet you :hello: I'm in the early stages of this myself but I'll try and help with what I've been asked for so far.

I've been asked to provide the usual personal details, name, address etc, list any income I receive which as well as wages included tax credits, pensions, benefits etc. That was done on line and was a simple form filling exercise, which even I managed to do :o

From that, for the actual credit check, I was asked to provide proof of id - passport or driving licence, proof of address - utility bill and 3 months wage slips or 6 months bank statements. I don't work so provided the statements.

There's a background story to our situation but I don't want to go into that too much on here but I'll PM you tomorrow if that's OK. xx
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For various reasons I ended up as guarantor for my nieces rent at uni. At the time i worked somewhere with a legal dept and they kindly went through it for me.

The two main concerns were that I would be liable for any unpaid rent, not just hers, and my death didn’t remove the liability
    :(
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • teafor2
    Options
    That's interesting/worrying about the liability MatyMoo. :eek: I haven't seen anything that relates to that but one of the girls has been a bit lax at getting deposits, paperwork back on time so if that were the case it would definitely set alarm bells ringing in my head.

Actually, there's absolutely no way I'd sign on something like that and I wonder why somebody would. Did you find a way around that? She would end up back in halls. Luckily there is the option for her to do that.

Thanks for dropping by and mentioning that, much appreciated. xx
  • teafor2
    Options
    Just had another look at the lease which I haven't actually signed yet but once I do we're liable for the whole term which is 12 months. So even if she dropped out or became ill and had to leave I would still have to pay. Also if we die, they can claim off our estate. But definitely nothing that reads as though I'm liable for anybody else, although I will absolutely be triple checking that now before I sign anything. xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback