Slipping Through My Fingers

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    I'll definitely be double checking this WB and making sure there hasn't been a page of clauses conveniently left off. :o I'm happy to be guarantor for DD because I know we can afford to get her out of the mire but other people who I don't even know ... I don't think so. :cool: xx

This is what I need to be careful of Teafor2. If we are accepted as guarantors (which is by no means certain) we need to read the agreement carefully to make sure that we'd only be liable for DS3 and not the entire household :eek:.

Also someone on my thread said don't let your son put the utilities in his name because he'll spend all his time chasing the others for their contributions every month. Which I thought was good advice!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hi HHD, nice to meet you :hello: I'm in the early stages of this myself but I'll try and help with what I've been asked for so far.

I've been asked to provide the usual personal details, name, address etc, list any income I receive which as well as wages included tax credits, pensions, benefits etc. That was done on line and was a simple form filling exercise, which even I managed to do :o

From that, for the actual credit check, I was asked to provide proof of id - passport or driving licence, proof of address - utility bill and 3 months wage slips or 6 months bank statements. I don't work so provided the statements.

There's a background story to our situation but I don't want to go into that too much on here but I'll PM you tomorrow if that's OK. xx

Thanks TF2 :). That's what we've been asked for so far. We had an online form wanting to know all aobut our finances and they wanted DH's passport number and then today they asked for a copy of our tax form!

So we've sent all that off now. We're just waiting to hear back whether we've been accepted as guarantors or not.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is what I love about this forum people helping each other out with advice and support . HH and TF2 I hope you get it sorted out the best way possible.

No prolific surveys for me either recently either.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria :).

PA has been a bit quiet for me too recently, but One Poll has given me a few surveys and I had a You Gov one yesterday.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 February 2019 at 7:10PM
    Options
    On the guarantors thing, we did this for DS1 for this year at uni, so I filled in the forms around about this time last year. It was clearly marked on the forms that I was only responsible for DS1's rent (if he didn't pay it) but his is a shared house where they rent the rooms out individually - they share the kitchen and living room. That might be something to check on the forms if you haven't already. They also calculated the scarily high figure that it would be if he didn't pay.

They did say that if one of them moved out however they, the agents, would put someone else in which wasn't a great thought as none of them wanted to live with someone they don't know in such close quarters. Again, along with the above, I'd ask for clarification on this if they haven't provided it.

I don't think they actually did a credit check on us - I didn't notice anything on our files - but they did take all the same information as you had to give.

Something to note is that DS1 moved in on the first day of their rental. He and OH went round the house and took photos/notes of anything that needed fixing, was damaged etc. They sent it straight to the agents, and updated it when the others moved in and found other things not working as they should - ensuite showers, toilets and broken wardrobes. 5 months down the line some things are still not fixed despite repeated assurances that they will be and they are getting a slightly discounted rate as a result. We are still holding all the information so that we can ensure they get their sizeable deposits back.

Oh, and finally, the utilities are all in the Agent's names so the rent is inclusive of all utilities including internet but not phone. They also have a tv licence for the living room in the Agents' name but they still had to have their own licences for TVs in their rooms!
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And well done to your DS, I hope he has a fab time. When is it going to be? The weather can be so hit and miss up here whenever - I swear we've gone through three seasons just today - but the combination of outdoor activities and creative writing should be brilliant.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you all so much for replying. I think this is the most visits I've had in one day and I'm as excited about it as our very own dear Wannabe is about her great news :rotfl:

First up the banana cake. The recipe is a basic cake mixture with mashed banana in. Without fail the bananas sink to the bottom. Is that right? It gives the cake a soggy texture but this time it's actually edible as it's obviously just banana and not uncooked mixture. Beanie, or anybody for that matter, do you have a recipe you can let me have.

Secondly, the guarantor/rent issue. There are 3 girls moving into the house and they are all individually renting a double room at £97 per week each. So I'm assuming from what Red and JJ have said we'll only be liable for any payments DD doesn't make - although she'd better not miss any :cool:

They are allowed £120's towards bills per month for the house which sounds too good to be true but it's basically a terraced house in a nice but cheap housing area and the landlord will be taking nearly £1,200 per month in rent. So some electric and gas is covered, but actually while typing this, I'm thinking I need to check if that covers water as well. And also whose name they are in - thanks for the heads up there HHD.

Anything they use above the £120 they have to pay for which I guess they'll split between them. They don't have a TV in the lounge at halls she tends to watch Netflix on her laptop, but if there is a TV I'll also check about the licence.

We will definitely be taking photos Red, we did that when she moved in her Uni room. Her deposit for the house was £270 which I didn't think was too bad, I was expecting at least a month up front.

JJ - it's interesting about the credit check possibly not being done. There must be loads of families out there who, through no real fault of their own have got in a pickle and it seems unfair that their history should impact on their children who are trying to get on in life.

Cumbria is right, it's brilliant on here for people helping each other out, thank you. xx
  • anita55
    anita55 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Beanie. He can be a bit lacking in self confidence at times so it's given him a boost.

I've spent most of the evening messing about with forms and id etc. for being DD's guarantor when she moves out of Uni and into a house in summer. What a faff. Hasn't helped they want everything scanning over and we all know what I'm like with technology. One lot of stuff has been sent back already because it was blurred :o Any more problems and I'm sticking it in an envelope and sending it by pigeon. :cool:

I've actually found the whole thing quite stressful, not least because hubby is also messing around with the new TIVO box and I've had a running commentary for the past hour about why it's not working. He's still yakking at me as I type this. But being a woman I can multi-task and while typing I am also making appropriate 'interested' noises :rotfl: Will be glad to get into bed tonight. xx
    Had to laugh at what you said about listening to you OH mine rambles on for ages I don't like asking him questions because he goes on for about half an hour when he could have said it in two minutes and why does he insist on telling me about football aaah!
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be worth you asking exactly what the allowance is for the utilities, if the house is on gas and electric the landlord may have it as over both (and possibly water) or may allocate a set portion to each which could easily mean them going over the allowance. With it being terraced they should be able to drop the heating a bit and draw heat from the neighbours, but its worth them doing weekly readings so tat they can save a bit if the ubits are too high at the end of the months. When you take off the standing charge there is not a huge ampunt to be used
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The credit check an agency does they can only see public information - So CCJ's CIFAS markers. It's not like a credit check when taking on credit.
    I can't help with the other stuff :o

Banana loaf - the blacker the bananas the better the cake ;)

125g butter/spread, 150g sugar, tsp of vanilla, 1 egg, 2 bananas (the riper the better), 190g SR flour and 60ml of milk (or alternative for milk)

Melt sugar, butter and vanilla then take of the heat. Add the mashed bananas and mix well. Stir in flour and milk and chuck it in the oven for about 30 minutes (or until it's cooked my ovens stupid)

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback