Options

Comments

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning :)

Day 19/31, Prolific £5.12 outstanding, Spends £19.55

Energy levels seem to be returning to normal – low :rotfl: I just go with the flow and am grateful I can occasionally achieve something above and beyond the norm.

DS finishes at lunchtime today. Hubby asked why he was bothering to go in but I think the atmosphere of last day of term and an early finish is a good way to start the summer hols.

DD rang last night. She was fed up because she’d had a rotten customer who spoke to her like she was s&&t on her shoe. I was very sympathetic but I told her to get used to it. Dealing with people is bad enough, dealing with people who are hungry isn’t great, but dealing with people who think they are somebody is always going to be a nightmare. The only thing that made her feel better was her Manager was just as fed up with the woman as she was. I just hope nobody pushes her too far. She’s lovely and will go out of her way to help anybody, but she’s exactly like her Dad, taking c**p from people isn’t in her nature. Push her too far and she really is the sort of person who would pour a drink over somebody’s head :eek::D

I’m having a day in today and a rest so no spending for me. Wish the surveys would clear, I want to add the money to the experience pot. Why is it always the big ones that take ages to go through :cool:

Hope you all have a lovely day and wishing all the school workers and Mum’s of excited children a lovely start to the holidays. xx
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    Options
    How irritating about the mean customer your daughter experienced. I worked with the general public from age 15 until 21 and it really made me certain i didn't want a public-facing career. However, sometimes colleagues are just as bad as the public! haha

My sister sounds similar to your daughter - don't push her too far or you will suffer the consequences :)

Enjoy your day in, you did enough yesterday to have earned it.And your spending on it goes to show, you don't need to spend a fortune to give something a new look entirely.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • teafor2
    Options
    Mean is exactly the right word HG. The problem came from the kitchen but of course serving staff are always going to be in the line of fire aren't they. I think she was more upset about the injustice of it tbh. But she did say it's lit a fire under her a&se to work even harder at Uni so she doesn't have to put up with rubbish like that. Same as you said though, I didn't like to say colleagues can be just as bad - she's plenty of time to learn that for herself. :cool:

The porch looks completely different because of the colour and for less than £30 I'm really happy with it. I went shopping in the house and found a palm plant, a wooden box, and a picture to put in there so that's added to the new look. I keep opening the door to look at it :rotfl: xx
  • teafor2
    Options
    Should also add I'm under no illusion a degree is going to mean she doesn't have to work somewhere like that to start with - but I'm letting her think that way for now. :o xx
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    Options
    If nothing else, experiences like that will drive her to use her education to get the best opportunities out there. Motivation to avoid the public will be high!

I've done well for myself in my career for my age, but there's no escaping irritating/ self-important people everywhere you go in life. It's how you learn to deal with it/ avoid it along the way that's the important thing.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • teafor2
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    If nothing else, experiences like that will drive her to use her education to get the best opportunities out there. Motivation to avoid the public will be high!

I've done well for myself in my career for my age, but there's no escaping irritating/ self-important people everywhere you go in life. It's how you learn to deal with it/ avoid it along the way that's the important thing.

Very true. I'll show her this just to let her know it's a part of life that most people have to deal with. Thank you. xx
  • teafor2
    Options
    Morning :)

Day 22/31, Prolific £1.67 cleared, £3.45 outstanding, Spends £50

Pay Day :j – I had £19.55 left over from last week so I’ve added £15 to my £35 spends, giving me £50. It has to last 10 days this time and it's the school hols so I feel happy doing that. Then I’ve put £2 each into Christmas and savings and the odd 55p has gone into the birthday pot.

We didn’t go to the van this weekend but we did have chippy for tea on Friday so paid for that out of the caravan pot.

Weekly pot update is:

Savings - £8
    DS Savings - £10
    Dogs - £20
    Caravan - £18
    Hairdressers - £0
    Christmas - £90.50 – DD’s stocking is done :T and I’ve also bought 2 small gifts.
    Experience - £15.92 + £6.22 to clear = £22.14
    Birthdays - £17.02

I'm taking DS into town this afternoon so he can go to the cinema with DD. I was thinking by the time I've paid train fare, treated them to the tickets and been to the shop for sweets and drinks I'd have spent about £20 - nearly half my budget :eek:

Both of them have money, thanks to an inheritance, so I told him to take £100 out of his bank for the summer for things he wants to do. He wasn't over keen :rotfl: but it'll be a good lesson as to what money can/can't buy you. So now I'll just pay for the train fare and a couple of bags of sweets for them and they can pay themselves into the cinema which at £5 each I think is really good value.

Off to see an elderly relative in a while who's had another fall and is feeling all out of sorts. She's asked for us to go which is unusual so that's the plan for this morning.

Hope you all have a lovely day. xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,652 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    £5 for the cinema is just great.
    Hope the relative is ok. Xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • BalanceBy50
    BalanceBy50 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    Morning tea, Hope you are all well? First day of school hols today for us but we get exactly 6 weeks. My 7 yr old is going shopping with nana to spend some of his birthday money (nana is under strict instructions that she can buy him lunch but doesn't need to buy him somethingon top of what he chooses out of his birthday money :rotfl: will we see if she listens to me!). My 4yr old is in nursery but not happy about that! He thinks he's missing out on the fun :rotfl:

Your porch sounds lovely and I love the idea that you have been shopping around the house to finish it off!

I just want to double check that your bank of handbag is covered under your insurance policy? Unfortunately we were burgled 3 weeks ago and we had more cash in the house than what my policy covers. I deal with all the paperwork and household bills and blithely thought we never have more than £500 cash in the house so that's fine. However I have been following in your footsteps and have lots of little saving envelopes plus a couple of saving tins with a friend (which I think had about £400) in. They are the sort you open with a in opener and we use them for our Christmas.day out with the children and a mini break at October half term with them. It was also a couple of days after my son's birthday and he'd had a lot of money for his birthday. They ransacked the house looking for stuff but only took money and jewellery. I was out the house less than an hour taking my son to his swimming lesson :eek: so please can you and any of your lovely readers just check your insurance policies and make sure you are covered?

Phew that's a long post - so sorry to hijack.

Hope your children enjoy the film. We have Toy story pencilled in for Friday. So happy that the Ode@n have reduced their tickets to £5 much better in the pocket xx
  • teafor2
    Options
    Oh no BB50. :eek: So sorry to read you were burgled. :mad: And especially that they took your DS's birthday money. I've just checked with hubby and we are insured for £500 as well. It's just me that has cash in the house and totalled up at the moment it doesn't come to more than that. But I will have to start putting the CC savings into a bank as that will make a big difference.

We have CCTV and alarms linked to our phones so if the alarm goes off we can actually see if anybody is trying to get in or is inside. I don't for one minute think that will deter the most determined criminal but hopefully it might stop the majority of them thinking about it when they see the cameras.

Did the insurance pay out the £500 and did you lose a lot more than that. I'm so annoyed on your behalf. It takes a lot of time and determination to save money and then some scroat just walks in and helps themselves. :mad:

On a brighter note, I hope DS enjoys his day out with Nana and they both enjoy the Toy Story Film. I want to go and see Yesterday with DD and also fancy The Lion King. Need to try and fit those in over the hols if I can.

Have a lovely day. xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure