🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Slipping Through My Fingers

Options

Comments

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi MR M P, thanks for popping in.

:eek: to me grooming the dogs. :rotfl: I used to take them to a well known pet shop but when the cost crept up to just under £50 for each one I put a stop to that and got a local groomer to do them at home. One of the dogs is very nervous and they are very patient with him. He takes twice as long to do as the other one but they only charge the same. Having them rather than the pet shop already saves me £30.

I don't think £15 is that bad for coffees tbh. Meeting up with a friend for a brew once a week is definitely not something I'd consider stopping. I pay one week, my friend pays the next. On average it works out I pay £3.75 each week, oh there's a teacake included in that as well :D
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Hope you've had a good day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • teafor2
    Options
    Thanks Wannabe, I've had a lazy day but a good one. Hope you've feeling better in yourself :)

Spent most of today watching Morecambe and Wise on TV Gold. Had to look up when Eric died, 1984 - can you believe that and Ernie died in 1999. Even 30+ years on they still make me laugh out loud. Nothing political, no derogatory comments about other people just for a laugh, no bad language, just good honest humour that you could watch with your children or your great grandma.

This evening I went to the carol service which was lovely. Very atmospheric with the only lighting coming from all the candles and the Christmas tree.

On the MSE front I haven't spent a penny. I had a look at the joint account and needed to do a bit of re-jigging here and there but it will all even itself out by the end of the month which is the main thing.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Morning tea, ahhh how lovely of mr t, make sure you treat yourself. Let me know what your secret is. It always seems me giving mr Choccy money.

Hope you're feeling better soon, it sounds awful. Don't worry about the scales for this week and concentrate on feeling better.

You're doing really well on the surveys. Mine a bit slow going.im hoping to hit the min £30 with onep by new year but will need a miracle.

We've a pooch that needs hand stripping and it's £50 a pop. I used to do go myself but it took 3days in manic bursts. He hated it, so did I so he gos to my friend now and it's one luxury I couldn't give up. It's amazing how much the furry ones cost with food, vets and insurance! At least they never need clothes or shoes.

Have a great Monday xxx
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • teafor2
    Options
    Day 17/31, £44.90, 9 x NSD's, Prolific £7.41

The meal and hairdressers this week will completely wipe my cash out, although I could use the £45 hubby gave me, at least it will have been spent on me. It's swings and roundabouts really, but psychologically that might be the best way forward. It means I'll still have some of 'my' money left over and there's a good chance not much more of it will be spent so I could start the NY with a bit extra in the kitty.

I've had a quick look back over spends this month. £73 on Christmas gifts and £30.50 on donations, neither of which are normal spends although in the NY I'm going to add a few £'s in for the foodbank. Anyway, that's over £100 that I wouldn't have normally spent so I'm hoping to have a fair bit left over in future, although there always seems to be something that hasn't been accounted for so we'll see. :o

Hope you all have a great day. :)
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely day

I think spending the money DH gave you on your hair and meal is a good idea. It will feel like it was something for you then

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • teafor2
    Options
    I've no idea what the secret is Choccygirl, I just smile and accept it when it happens :rotfl: Actually, he'd sold something so I got a cut of the profit before he invested the money in something else. Prolific is very slow for me, I only got 20p yesterday and nothing so far today but it's all free money so I'll keep plodding on. There's no way I could groom the dog, I quite like having all my fingers and thumbs :D I'd be too hesitant and he'd pick up on it straight away. The groomers are lovely but no nonsense which is what he needs.

Wannabe, I've decided I am going to spend it on the meal and my hair. At least then I can say it's gone on me and hubby will be happy with that as well. Not that I need his approval for what I spend it on, but I know he'd prefer that than it going on everyday household stuff etc.
  • teafor2
    Options
    Morning Everybody :)

Day 18/31, £44.90 cash, 10 x NSD's, Prolific £8.41

Tuesday means coffee and shopping so there'll be a bit of spending going on today but I'm going to try and keep it to a minimum. The only things I really need are a birthday card, some face powder, and it's my turn to buy the coffees. Not much of a list but I'll be waving goodbye to at least £10 :o Apart from that I think everything else I need to get is household/food.

I've just counted up household expenses so far this month and the total came to £44. Normally I'd have just paid for these things out of my money, thinking it's just a £5 here and there. It's been a normal month for household things even though it's December so looks like there's about £50 I usually spend on bits which I'll be saving in the NY.

Hope you all have a good day. Only 7 more sleeps now :xmassmile
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    This will be about my personal money and cc debt. All household bills etc. are taken care of and there are no real problems in that area. There are no real problems with my money either apart from the fact that like the thread title, it just slips through my fingers and I have hardly any left over at the end of the month with very little to show for it having gone.

I want to use this as a way of keeping track of what I spend. I have a sneaky suspicion it's on the kids and household items that aren't covered under the joint account but I could be deceiving myself and spending it all on me. I doubt it, but we'll see.

I'll be back with more details in a little while.
    After 2 weeks then your suspicions are confirmed. Money does not slip through your fingers it disappears on the kids, dogs and household stuff :rotfl::rotfl:;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Have a lovely day

x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure