PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2018 at 12:43AM
    Options
    How do people manage their bulk fund? I've decided to save up for mine with money I save in the Grocery Challenge. How do you calculate stuff?
    The same as you. Any money left over at the end of the month from grocery challenge, goes to create bulk fund.

elsiepac wrote: »
    I planned and prepped all my food yesterday until Thursday so I'm sorted!
    That looks lovely, whats in the herby pasta #PrettyPlease.

CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I didn't go shopping last week (I hate crowds and pushing and queuing and too many people) and the more I was worrying so I took the rest of the months shopping money and went shopping today
    Have you thought of online shopping. I don't like crowds, more from a grumpy standpoint, I don't like rushing, people pushing me and I hate queuing. Well done though, it takes real courage when your stressed/worried like that.

£12.10. spent, got loads. Lemons, oranges, garlic, avocados, mushrooms, 3 tubs of houmous, 3 jars of nut butter - they are 29p in Poundstretchers and lots more. Have updated sig.
  • Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Monthly budget will aim for £300 £193/£300To include all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, cat food and cat litter, non alcoholic drinks.NSD will aim for at least 15 12/15

Cranky, I hope the vets can get to the bottom of your poor cat, we had the same problem toovwith our old puss, turns out she is a diabetic on insulin twice a day now! And no insurance.
    And yes, im another one who stares gobsmacked at all this xmas party food in the sm, poor quality and high price! I am shocked that people pay £1.50 for mini garlic and parsley ciabattas in m n s
    A
  • Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oops finger posted too quick there. ...durr....I hadnt finished rabbiting on..:rotfl:
    I had a spend day yesterday and a rather lovely one too. £20 spent in a local market on beautiful fresh fish, gammon, 10 mangoes for £2, a crate of vine cherry tomatoes for £3, a crate of clems for £1.50 plus lots of other lovely fruit n veg. Looks like tomatoes will be featuring heavily in our meals for quite a while!! :D

Ps im not sure how to quote people, can any of you lovely people tell me how to?
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    Well... I'm still officially under budget, but I haven't yet done the big fresh stuff shop, which is planned for the 23rd. I also don't have any of the New Years stuff in yet.
    I reckon I'll be looking at maybe £40 over, but it is what it is! I've never done Christmas on a grocery budget before! I guess now I'll know for next year what a more realistic amount is.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 December 2018 at 11:26AM
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!

For those interested, the pasta salad is based off of this recipe but I made it a bit more Slimming W0rld friendly by halving the oil and replacing with a little extra lemon juice - well, I used the juice of three lemons. I don't really follow the quantities in the recipe!
    Also, I used red pepper instead of tomatoes, and tinned corn instead of fresh.

No spends for me this week which I'm really pleased about. Just having food there and made means there is no chance of deviation because I can't waste it!!

CRANKY I hope your cat improves soon! Thank goodness for insurance!

Re the supermarket party food - I agree, so much of it looks cheap and nasty, and nowhere near worth what they are charging for it!
    Having said that, there are of course always exceptions, and I do like to do a little scout around for any new vegan offerings and if I see any that look tempting enough I pick them up to go towards our Christmas Eve tea (we always have nibbly bits!).

No Christmas food shop as such for me as we go out for Christmas Dinner, but I do buy some vegan treats to take up to mum & dads (I already bought my 2 vegan cheeses for EXTORTIONATE amounts, this is why I only have them this once a year for a very special treat!) and I am trying to plan ahead for healthy eating from Boxing Day evening as I do plan to have my treats and things over Christmas! But I want to be straight back on it afterwards!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vanlady wrote: »
    Oops finger posted too quick there. ...durr....I hadnt finished rabbiting on..:rotfl:
    I had a spend day yesterday and a rather lovely one too. £20 spent in a local market on beautiful fresh fish, gammon, 10 mangoes for £2, a crate of vine cherry tomatoes for £3, a crate of clems for £1.50 plus lots of other lovely fruit n veg. Looks like tomatoes will be featuring heavily in our meals for quite a while!! :D

Ps im not sure how to quote people, can any of you lovely people tell me how to?

You click on the quote button , on the post you want to quote, then just reply underneath it :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £46 between Morries, whole salmon, 8 portions in freezer, all the rest head etc boiled picked over 3 times fed to the dog, 2 y.s. pork hocks, 3 y.s. pasties and pork pies.
    Lidl 2 y,s. smoked mackerel, some fruit and veg, a dundee cake, 3 packs of sealer rolls, cheapest price anywhere, not on sale until tomorrow according to website, only 2 left after me.
    B&M gift tags, 2 cranberry sauce, always stock up this time of year as the best price. 2 packet mixes for red cabbage.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Nellbell21
    Options
    £490 spent so far out of budget. We run budget for full month not pay day. So have £210 till 1st jan. I have load in cupboards and freezers. Bought some reduced party food in Marks and Spencer from their finest range. So that’s the nibbles for Xmas eve sorted. I will need fruit, veg, milk and bread but otherwise should be fine. I’m hopeful I can do it. I need to really get on top of the food shop come January. It’s disgraceful what we spend.
  • Nellbell21
    Options
    I have made Mac and cheese for dinner as I had some bacon needed using. I am going to do this more often. Instead of trying to please everyone and cooking different meals just make one and not give options. Yesterday I made three different dinners and there is only the 4 of us. I’m going to have to plan better and be a bit lmore inventive if I want to get the budget down!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    We've spent £8.96 since yesterday.

I'm having the same as yesterday for dinner; shepherdless pie mix with houmous mash potatoes.
    OH is also having the same as yesterday; beef stew with mash potatoes.

£149.52/£200.
    £50.48 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills