PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £8.70 in Aldi as I was near, red/white cabbages, potatoes, sprouts, grapes, biscuits, mince pies and chicken thighs for the dog.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    We've spent £8.96 since last post.

Got enough fruit so I have enough until after Christmas. Bought some FF vegan mince pies, a carton of vegan custard and a bottle of cloudy lemonade for a treat too :o.

I'm having shepherdless pie mix with rice for dinner. I will be having wine with it as celebrating winter solstice/Yule. Would have loved a vegan roast dinner but OH is out with friends tonight so I'm having the last of the mix made the other day.

£160.21/£200.
    £39.79 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    What do others think of 3 for £10 meat offers?

I used to love those when I was in the UK. Depending on the pieces bought, I'd be set for most of the week's dinners or lunches in terms of meat and fish. They can be a really great value, especially if you select the packet of chicken thighs or a whole chicken as one of the items as like you did.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts. We're feeling sad but we have our remaining cat to try and make a new kind of normal life for so she doesn't miss her half sister so much (they had the same mother but were born a year apart). I think Pixel is possibly slightly "over loved" just now but she and the HT are spending a fair bit of time attached to each other. The HT finishes school today for 2 weeks so they'll probably spend a lot of time either on the sofa under a blanket or in his bed under the duvet..

Hope you are all coping. I had to have my cat pts n September. It never gets any easier. So sorry.

£2.00 spent today. Kept forgetting to get yeast extract, so DD1 picked me some up on the way here.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spent £6.79, plus some bulk fund money. Bought some Soyummy yoghurts in Aldi (dairy free), one of each flavour, plus some other bits. I really must not buy anything else. Got lots in that needs using n I hate waste. I'm out for Xmas dinner and I'll be working at Crisis 'as per', for 4 shifts and they have ridiculous amounts of food - so now ya know. Merry xmas everyone - I hope you all have a wonderful time. Have updated sig
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you are all coping. I had to have my cat pts n September. It never gets any easier. So sorry.

Thank you. Helping cat number one to cope has been our main focus. She's currently stretched out on the HT's bed keeping him company while he plays Minecraft on his XBox.

I made 58 mince pies yesterday - not all for us :rotfl: All the ingredients were already in the house and I was even able to donate a jar of mincemeat to one of my friends who thought she could make mince pies with just dried fruit. I've told her to save the fruit and make a cake.

The HT and his friend had Maccies for their tea last night - a long promised end of term treat while they swapped Christmas presents and did all the talking that they don't have time for in school. I had the money for that put away from our weekly "pocket money". I don't seem to have done much real cooking this week so I think I'll try for something that actually has a decent nutritional value tonight. Quorn spag bol possibly.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £9.87 on a quick trip to town for some short bungee cords, no bungees in 4 shops.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    I'll be joining this challenge in Jan for 2019 - aiming for £50 a month for food, household and toiletries. I live alone, so there is only me to buy for and I tend to bulk buy things like toiletries and household items so they can last a couple of months or more.

This has been my "budget" for a year now - but I never actually kept track, so it could and probably is much more. In 2019 i'll be coupling this with drawing out £50 cash for food money on the 1st of each month. It'll be interesting to see how much i'll learn!
  • Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Afternoon All

Just a quick update from me before I catch up on all the posts. I have £34.74 left for the rest of the month for 3 of us so I'm going to be running tight but still aiming to try. I do have savings I can dip into if desperate 😀

Good luck everyone xx
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Xmas food shopping done yesterday in Sainsbugs - absolutely manic and I couldn't wait to get out. :( Got everything we needed and spent £35.45, so pleased with that. :)

I've £15.65 left in the budget with a week to go but I doubt we'll need anything else before the New Year so it looks as if I'll have a surplus. :j That could change though as I may have a mooch at the local Co-op on Xmas Eve (or Boxing Day) on a ys hunt, so not declaring just yet. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport