PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Trans Female moving to Yorkshire, where should I move to ? Nervous/Worried!

Options

Comments

• Bethenny555
    Options
    I would suggest looking at Horsforth. On the edge of Leeds, but has its own community feel. Its quite a "trendy" area now, so may be a bit pricey, but on the plus side, it has a direct train link to the city centre and to Harrogate and York the other way.

An old school friend of mine (who is gay and proud) lives there. We went to uni together in Leeds (graduated 15 years ago or so now) and he stayed around Leeds, and has been settled with his husband in Horsforth for a number of years now. He's never had any trouble there.

Thank you will check that out :j
  • scaredofdebt
    Options
    Wetherby is worth a look, right next to the A1, and train to Leeds and York, less than an hour to either. It's a small town but big enough to have most ameneties you'd want and I think house prices are very reasonable.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Wetherby is worth a look, right next to the A1, and train to Leeds and York, less than an hour to either. It's a small town but big enough to have most ameneties you'd want and I think house prices are very reasonable.

Train in Wetherby? Think you're about 54 years too late :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you!

So far I have found some amazing properties in the following..

Ilkley
    Harewood
    Norwood Green
    Cawood
    Harrogate
    Burley in Wharfdale

If anyone has any particular negative or positives about the above let me know! :)

Hi,

Cawood floods so not a place I would recommend.
  • Bethenny555
    Options
    Hi,

Cawood floods so not a place I would recommend.

Thank you :) Have removed from my list !
  • YorkshireTraveller
    Options
    Thank you!

So far I have found some amazing properties in the following..

Ilkley
    Harewood
    Norwood Green
    Cawood
    Harrogate
    Burley in Wharfdale

If anyone has any particular negative or positives about the above let me know! :)

Norwood Green is just up the road from us and have friends that live there. It's a lovely spot with a 'village' feel with a couple of great (gastro) pubs.

Not so good for transport though as the nearest train stations would be Halifax, Low Moor or Bradford.
  • Lilymunster
    Options
    Hi Bethenny,

I don’t normally comment on sites, it annoys me when people kick off over the smallest comments.. I saw your post and felt I needed to say hello..

I moved a few months ago from a city to Otley .. as beautiful as it is I have found the move to be incredibly difficult.. finding myself more lonely and cut off then I have ever been ..

I longed to live in the country away from city life .. I guess I was more of a city girl then I realised ..

Just think things through before you make the move .. I did it on a wim .. I had 4 weeks and before I knew it I was moving .. I wish I had done more research and taken more time

It’s so much harder to go back if you don’t like it .. I now find myself stuck

I hope you find what your looking for .. I wish you every happiness
    Xx
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Lilymunster - Things do get better. You are still in the same part of our country (ie England to England). That will help - a lot...

Hopefully the place you're in isn't that small that there aren't things going on there socially?

I've got a very rough rule of thumb that goes along the lines of one makes an average of one friend per two social type activities gone to. You don't necessarily need to persevere with a particular social activity in the long run - but keep at any that take your interest for some months at any rate. Identify who looks like a Possible Friend out of people that go reasonably often to those activities and also pick up some general "friendly faces".

I've made one friend (and her husband - as "added friend") from an evening class (though none of us go to it any longer), another friend from a dance class (I don't go to any longer), another friend from another dance class, have identified someone at another dance class as "Possible Friend" and so on.

It depends to a large extent whereabouts you are in the country - as you may be in an area where some people feel wary about expressing a perfectly normal viewpoint/taken as read as standard in another part of the country - but you'll learn to figure out who thinks the same way as you and you can be more "open" with them and that helps (even at a "friendly faces" - rather than friends - level).
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Lilymunster.

I'm over Skipton/Ilkely way, but know Otley and visit often.
    Are you a member of the Otley Facebook group? There's events listed on there (amongst a lot of rubbish like berating people for setting off fireworks, and dog mess etc ... like all groups!). I moved to the area last year and found that by joining my local group on Facebook I got to know who the key people are who organise things and keeping up-to-date on events etc.

There's a fair few charity shops in Otley who probably need volunteers, if you fancy getting to know people that way?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd second the join the local Facebook group idea.

Amended to = join several nearby ones. They are very variable - so join ones within, say, a 6 mile radius I'd say.

Of the ones near me:
    - the most obvious one for me rarely has any posts on it at all (in theory - it should be the biggest one:cool:). It might improve if it ever gets some person/people trying to put posts up there/run it rather better

- another one has a founder that thinks they are "in charge"/has very rigid mindset and their personality mucks that one up rather and one has to check it out to find out re a noticeable number of events there, but discount that autocratic "founder" (and belong to a couple of other mini ones in that vicinity as a fallback position)

- two others that function pretty well in a "help each other out"/requests for favours/offer of favours type way and they are the ones I tend to use in that respect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure