PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Trans Female moving to Yorkshire, where should I move to ? Nervous/Worried!

Options
Hey Everyone :A

I suppose this is quite a niche question,

I'm in the process of finding a new place and Yorkshire is top of my priority list, mainly due to distance from family/friends and overall the property I can get for my budget is good.

However, as a 25 Year Old Trans female ( I often find it sad having to even think about this when moving as it really is a boring subject!) Safety/Acceptance is a top priority for me. I'm a big believer that one tends to create their own problems at times and I am certainly not looking to change the world by screaming for transgender rights on the village green.

I tend to blend in quite well and never have any transphobic issues here in London. I certainly don't walk around with a sign saying TRANS on y forehead :rotfl::rotfl: . I'm just a normal girl, looking for a quiet life with my little dog.

Top of my priority lists are somewhere with good dog walks, a good community and within 30-40 Minutes of York or Leeds.

Living in my current bubble of London... I suppose I am a little nervous (maybe it is my own prejudice) but moving to a small village may throw up some problems for me.

Any recommendations on a funky Yorkshire village that is quite creative and open to new people joining the community ?

Apologies for my ramble! :j:)

Comments

• LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Hi Bethenny,

Sorry to hear this is even something you have to consider in this day and age! , most people tend to just get on with things and I'm sure you won't have a problem in most places.

From what you have said, depending on your budget, Hebden Bridge could be a good idea for you. lots of creative people and well known for it's LGBTQ+ ties.

Hope you find somewhere. x
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Hebden Bridge seconded
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As someone who is from Yorkshire I find it a little insulting. Yorkshire isn't some medieval backwater still living in the Dark Ages and in fact the place I come from had the lowest level of crime in the entire UK and in the last year in the 13 categories the Home Office figures record had just 702 recorded crimes from October 2017-September 2018. That is in stark contrast to London where in a Moneysupermarket survey 16 London boroughs appear in the top 20 of postcodes with highest rates of burglary.
  • Bethenny555
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    As someone who is from Yorkshire I find it a little insulting. Yorkshire isn't some medieval backwater still living in the Dark Ages and in fact the place I come from had the lowest level of crime in the entire UK and in the last year in the 13 categories the Home Office figures record had just 702 recorded crimes from October 2017-September 2018. That is in stark contrast to London where in a Moneysupermarket survey 16 London boroughs appear in the top 20 of postcodes with highest rates of burglary.

Thanks for your reply Tarambor,

I can certainly agree that Yorkshire is not some medieval backwater (hence why I want to move there!)

My questions is very specific and niche to me and my situation, the crime statistics that you mention are based on crime in general. Do you know the figures for hate crime in the Yorkshire area? Specifically hate crime towards trans people ? more so... most LGBTQ+ hate crime goes unreported.

The question posed was not meant to offend and again was a rather niche question (as mentioned)

I would hate to make the wrong decision and move to a community that may have a different mindset and cause me great worry.

If you know of any particular Yorkshire villages that you would recommend , then do let me know :T
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had you considered Ripon?
  • Bethenny555
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Had you considered Ripon?

It's not somewhere I have looked at but will certainly look

What do you think is particularly good about Ripon?
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »

Bit of an OTT reaction there don't you think?

All she wanted to know is if there were any places in Yorkshire that were more liberal than conservative in views held.

Not sure what the crime statistics for burglary bring to the OP's question.. There are good/bad and indifferent places in every county - even in Yorkshire (as location no 4 on that survey shows).
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 November 2018 at 12:11AM
    Options
    Saltaire is well worth a look. Some creative people there and feels progressive.Also trains into Leeds in about 22 minutes
    • Bethenny555
      Options
      Thank you!

What are peoples opinions on Harrogate/Knaresborough or Otley ? Found some lovely places in those locations within budget ....
    • DaftyDuck
      DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
      Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
      Options
      Thirsk is more pleasant than Ripon, or was ten years ago. Then, Ripon had quite a lot of yoof gangs - obviously not your London gangs, but there was an atmosphere in the evenings that wasn't always pleasant.

York itself is lovely, and the student community is generally a content and accepting group, and they influence the whole city.

Harrogate is a bit staid, rather prim. Well, the people I knew were. Richmond is welcoming and quite arty.

The villages I knew back then were friendly and welcoming places, much like elsewhere.

My main suggestion would be rent until you are content.
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.3K Life & Family
    • 248.3K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure