Virgin Media and leaving

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    plums1234 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what part is confusing and I will try to clarify.

We had the VIP bundle but when VM temp lost the UKTV channels we moved the TV to Sky, keeping the BB and they entered me in a new contract on BB only.

Now we have received written notification of a price rise on our monthly sub from 1st Nov 2018. At the bottom of the letter it says we can leave penalty free if we inform them by 31st Oct 2018.

When I try to cancel they say we will give you a discount to the value of the price increase, therefore we are not affected by price rise and is longer a reason for us to leave so wont let me cancel.

Hope thats clearer?

I got caught up at work so missed the last few posts on here but I'm still confused.

Are you saying that you phoned up to complain about the price rise on your BB and they agreed to discount it so it doesn't affect you? Did you then phone back because you've changed your mind about keeping it?
  • plums1234
    Options
    I got caught up at work so missed the last few posts on here but I'm still confused.

Are you saying that you phoned up to complain about the price rise on your BB and they agreed to discount it so it doesn't affect you? Did you then phone back because you've changed your mind about keeping it?

I phoned up to cancel and they said that they will discount my account the same amount as the price rise, so my monthly payment would not change, I said I still want to cancel and they said I can't as they've resolved the reason that I was leaving over, I then said i'm not happy with that and would need to try and seek further advice, phone call over.
    Hope that clears it up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 September 2018 at 4:09PM
    Options
    plums1234 wrote: »
    I phoned up to cancel and they said that they will discount my account the same amount as the price rise, so my monthly payment would not change, I said I still want to cancel and they said I can't as they've resolved the reason that I was leaving over, I then said i'm not happy with that and would need to try and seek further advice, phone call over.
    Hope that clears it up.

Yes, much better. :p

In that case if you didn't agree to the discount they have no choice but to let you cancel. You'll have to phone them back.
  • plums1234
    Options
    I thought that too but they are adamant I can't cancel, the price rise I thought would be enough, I will need to keep trying by the looks of it, horrible to deal with, waits ages on hold too.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    When we left Virgin we didn't want any hastle with phonecalls, attempts to keep us, or anything else. We wrote (by snail mail) to Virgin Media at Swansea cancelling our service and stating we didn't want to discuss the matter with them. We had already found a new supplier and had the start date with them.
  • plums1234
    Options
    Thanks, the problem with good old fashioned mail is how would i know the relevant department go the letter? I'm guessing they would just act dumb and deny it and continue to charge me? They are experts at both. Would they reply acknowledging the letter? Does it take a while to complete the process?
    I though under the fairer deal Ofcom statement that I wouldn't have this hassle, should have known better than to go with them in the first place....been with them before few years ago and it seems they've got even worse on the customer services side.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    This is the address:

Virgin Media
    PO Box 333
    Matrix Court
    Swansea
    SA7 9ZJ

Quote your account number obviously, and send it "signed for" so they can't claim they haven't received it. Tell them you are cancelling as you are entitled to do because they have raised the price. You could include a copy of their own letter to you.. No need to mention the phone call. I think someone did phone us pretty quickly, just to tell us the amount still owing

As I said, we had already made arrangements with the new supplier, so were able to give Virgin an exact date.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't want to have to pay to get out of the contract at £200+ for nothing.

Best to call them some more
  • VM are horrible to deal with when trying to cancel. You just have to be firm and stand your ground. Don’t break any long silences, let them do that. You could end up with a retention deal that means you pay even less than you were before the proposed rise. It serves them right if people leave, this practice of putting prices up mid contract is disgusting.
  • plums1234
    Options
    Too right they are, I find them just horrible to deal with in general, never had anyone ever with decent manners whenever I've ever had to deal with, except the install guys, they where fine.
    I'm going to call back tomorrow morning and try to cancel again, I maybe naively thought it would be straight forward
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure