Virgin Media and leaving

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
54 replies 7.3K views

Replies

• hsshss Forumite
    101 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your swift reply.

Although this isn't our main landline, I would still like to keep it as a spare. I just wanted them to charge me less for what we've got & I don't need TV or anything else.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if its not your main number, do that mean you have a landline with BT or similar? Have you looked a fibre options there? Even if its only to tell VM that you are thinknig of leaving to goto one of them!

Sometimes with VM you need to convince them you intend to leave by saying Sky does it for £25, I intend to leave unless you can match or come close?
    or by giving 30 days notice. (which you can always cancel)

Saying its awfully expensive, doesn't usually get a discount with VM sadly.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two landlines circa £35 - £40 pm why unless its non residential usage .
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    hss wrote: »
    Hello. I am a Virgin Media user not by choice, but when they took over NTL, but originally it was with Bell Cable media!

Anyway we are paying £47 a month for phone/broadband. I saw Uswitch were offering same package for £27. Called Virgin redemptions to tell them of this & if they would match it or reduce our current price, loyalty discount? The answer was no since this price was for 'new customers only & also for 12 months'. She did offer TV but I refused since we are quite satisfied with freeview. If I went to Uswitch as a 'new customer' I would worry something will go wrong.

So my gripe is I would be uneasy to leave as I'm not technically minded although I can haggle other services ok.

Any tips please?
    It's exactly this fear that allows VM to gouge like this. I'm techy minded and would have left already, but the family get up in arms over a 15 min outage.

The time must come to be subject to the tender mercies of Openreach. I'm going to test whole house 4G first. Later may try to reactivate a phone line that hasn't been used for 15 years and which has never been used for broadband!

A lot of the bad reviews about Internet Service Providers are because of bad luck having dodgy wiring back to the exchange + Openreach trying to keep their costs down.
  • hsshss Forumite
    101 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am thinking of writing to Tom Mockridge CEO for his input. Our main landline is rented from BT - who I would NEVER consider for internet - & our calls are onetel talktalk. I think Talk Talk would be better, but just don't like changes to the emails & settings if I could just get a cheaper deal with VM. Also the inconvenience of no emails the other day just shows their attitudes to customers who pay their wages.
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped using NTL email addresses over 10 years ago and never used a Virginmedia one. Actively using a VM email addy is the 1st step of locking yourself in.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2019 using any ISPs email is very silly .
    One you are frightened to leave the address and two if you do leave you lose the email .
    Three with VM you are tied in to that and cannot hop ISPs.
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    buglawton wrote: »
    reactivate a phone line that hasn't been used for 15 years and which has never been used for broadband!
    Well, no one's landline in the UK was used for broadband until the early 2000s so the fact that your landline still hasn't been used for broadband in 2019 is no big deal.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well get a bb price for your by landline and use it to haggle with vm.

They don’t know you don’t intend to use it.
    Unless they really annoy you.

Yes Minster sketch.
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gone as far as wearing the T shirt that says been there done that and this is the price I was quoted for an Openreach based provider. VM stayed granite faced when I called them with the news.

Could save a few quid by dropping the speed to 50 mbps but the get an insulting 3 mbps upload. An embarrassment if you work from home on occasion.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides