Options

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I am still here.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry for my extended abscense. Had a bit of a family emergency and I wasn't able to/in the right mindset to come on here etc. Sorry, I dissapeared without warning etc.

Anyway, I'm back although I have no idea where my finances stand, think I got a few SFDs. Fell off the wagon in other areas but I am three days past my last drink and smoke again. Things are looking up.

Will try and catch up with the previous posts today.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2018 at 11:14AM
    Options
    So Hello,

Firstly, welcome to the newbies (TizerCat, SavingGlut, and Chandelier) that I missed, you're numbered. Don't worry about being late to the party, I'm all for better start now then wait till next month. Plenty of time left this month to make positive changes.

I_want_to_be_free I'm sending my hugs too, I hope your family situation improves or there is a maybe solution found soon.

As I was away I might have to repeat the spending freeze sometime this month ;). However, you seem to have done well, especially Crazy_cat_lady, Shrewbie, and F0xh0les (wow, you saved 80 quid).

Also well done on the booze free days Gometra and Shrewbie. I'm back on the wagon if a bit behind.

Also saw some good results regarding SFDs, weight loss, debt payments, self care, and exercise.

apple muncher Thank you for the link for the time poor. I have been rummaging through the internet, podcasts, and youtube recently too to find similar advice and trying to implement it.

Now for those who maybe struggled with some aspects of the challenge. Don't fret. Don't dwell on what you haven't achieved, don't dwell on which rules you have broken, on how you maybe let yourself or other down.

Head up, chin up. We fall but we get up and try again. There are still 14 days left in this month. Start again NOW. I will have to take that advice myself. I was tempted to just say s*d it, I give up or start again next month. Too much emotional spending, drinking etc due to unforeseen events, that, yes I admit, shouldn't have triggered "bad" habits, but did. That's in the past.

There are also 75 days left in this year to make positive changes ahead of the "New Years resolution". Why wait for the 1st of January?

Have a good day
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Hello everyone, sorry I've been quiet lately, have been busy and had internet issues last night!!

Dawn - thank you for the gardening tips! I'm renting so I'm going to see if my landlord will let me plant an apple and plumb tree. I would like to grow anything basically, tomatoes, strabs, runner beans, carrots, potatoes, spring onions :) I'm gonna give the cress a go too. I think he will enjoy that! Plus do love an egg and cress sandwich. It's a shame I rent otherwise I would have got a few chickens too so we could have fresh eggs!

Challenge - Crisps for breakfast - not a good start! But I have got a left over pasta and sauce (homemade) for lunch and a low fat yoghurt.
    Organise - Bought lunch in with me today, got up late so glad I prepped it last night.
    No Spend Days - Aiming for NSD today.
    Improvise. Make do and mend with a creative twist - None today.
    Exercise Four times a week at least - Working so not had a chance.
    Christmas - None today
    Banned Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. - My son is getting dropped off after work so no chance to get one and in my OD in bank so can't anyway haha.
    Extra Income or Extra time for the time poor - None today.
    Report in - Hello!
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm renting so I'm going to see if my landlord will let me plant an apple and plumb tree. I would like to grow anything basically, tomatoes, strabs, runner beans, carrots, potatoes, spring onions :) I'm gonna give the cress a go too. I think he will enjoy that! Plus do love an egg and cress sandwich. It's a shame I rent otherwise I would have got a few chickens too so we could have fresh eggs!

You can get patio/ ballerina (think skinny, as in short branches) fruit trees to go in large pots if the landlord isn't keen - or if you think you might move and want to take your tree with you :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    You can get patio/ ballerina (think skinny, as in short branches) fruit trees to go in large pots if the landlord isn't keen - or if you think you might move and want to take your tree with you :)

Thank you! I will have a look in the garden center, that'll be better in case I do move :)
    x
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 17 October 2018 at 6:48PM
    Options
    A challenge My plan is to re-start bodycoach during Oct, before then I plan on cutting down to one sweet treat/ day maximum :o:o - Rubbish

Organise. . I'm taking the opportunity to use up those things which have been lurking in the freezer/ cupboard and are now exposed! Have finished all the (free via shopping app) meat substitute products now and almost all the (bargain - reduced to 17p) frozen cauli/ cheese bite things. Oh - and also using random bits of bread/ rolls with the hm lentil/ carrot/ bacon soup form the freezer

Regular budget .Running totals Spends: Groceries £158.62. Clothing £47.

No Spend Days. Now 5.

Improvise. -

Exercise Four times a week at least rubbish

Christmas Will plan this out this month
    Have got everything out, sorted and listed. . Going ok. But will need to step it up next month

Banned Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, etc. - have social budget - have included a meal out for OH's bday. Running total £75.55

Extra Income Running total £55.98

Report in, here :)

Thankful for (been lacking in doing this): friends, a parents evening chat for DS3 (although Im not sure I actually found much out!) , snuggly bedding, cute guinea pigs, the thought of a (short) lie in tomorrow (DS2 has broken up, so I won't need a 6am alarm - have gone for 6.45)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,448 Forumite
    Options

Dawn - thank you for the gardening tips! I'm renting so I'm going to see if my landlord will let me plant an apple and plumb tree. I would like to grow anything basically, tomatoes, strabs, runner beans, carrots, potatoes, spring onions :) I'm gonna give the cress a go too. I think he will enjoy that! Plus do love an egg and cress sandwich. It's a shame I rent otherwise I would have got a few chickens too so we could have fresh eggs!

OK, the veg you list need to be planted in the spring. Seed packets have lots of sowing and care info on the back. As for fruit trees, I would buy small trees that you can grow in big pots. They need to be grafted onto a dwarfing root stock, so buy from somewhere that knows what they are doing, or look online.at somewhere like Thompson and Morgan https://www.thompson-morgan.com or another company called Blackmoor Nursery. There are others, but I have used both of these myself and been happy with them.

The trees should come with instructions on how to plant them. They will need feeding and watering more than they would if planted direct into the ground, but if you look after them they do really well. You also need to get varieties that self pollinate (might be listed as self fertile in the catalogue) otherwise with one apple tree (for example) you might end up with no apples :( It sounds complicated, but isn't really. Just have a look at youtube or google and there is some good information out there :)
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Almost bagged another NSD but OH wanted a takeaway and I have an online uni tutorial tonight so caved and got chips... oopsy! Other than that it was a healthy day, d'oh! Went to the gym this morning for a class so have hit my target of wanting to go 4 times this month (have only had the membership for a week but am enjoying getting back into it).

I'm struggling a bit with spending money this month. I have been good, but I feel so tempted all the time to spend! I think it's because I work from home so much, I get bored and lonely, so browse online at stuff I don't need. I've resisted the temptation but it's getting harder! :(
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,056.55 as of 04/24
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Challenge – Do more self-care. Still doing my 365 days of self care journal and 365 tiny love challenges. Had a better night's sleep. Rested quite a bit today. Also looking what is around the area where I want to move to in a couple of years(if not earlier), eg theatres. Making notes in my notebook. All positive things.
    Organise. This I must to. Used what I had in.
    Exercise Did my usual lap around the park.
    NSD 15/20. NSD achieved today.
    Christmas This is already sorted. Have put money into a savings account each month for the year. Immediate family all get money. Christmas will be a difficult time for me so I will concentrate on self-care. Will decide after 2nd December - my Mum's first anniversary of her death.
    Banned - Not needed today.
    Extra Income No surveys done today.
    Report - Reporting in.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business