Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well if all the pundits are correct we will be so poverty stricken after Brexit that you won't be able to afford a holiday so it won't matter
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What's wrong with the logic?
    The reason for the change is that countries that are part of the Schengen agreement have a stipulation that anyone entering one of those countries and who has a passport issued by a non EU or non Schengen country must hold a passport issued no more than 10 years prior to entry.
    When the UK is part of the EU, this 10 year validity doesn't apply. It only starts to affect UK passport holders once the UK leaves the EU as we then class as "third country" nationals (not part of Schengen or the EU).
    This week I have asked 2 friends from other EU countries about how long their passports are valid. i expected them to say 10 years (in total) but, to my surprise, both only have 5 years total. One is from Greece and the other from Sweden.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is for the UK to decide on what passport and border arrangements UK want and agree these if possible or accept what is on offer from whichever country.
    It is about time people realised that we live in a democracy; especially those who lost the Brexit vote.
    Personally, did not want Brexit, but majority, even a small one decided on Brexit.
    We made the choice.
    So like it or lump it.

Close the door on your way out snowflake:D
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Devon111
    Options
    I was changing my passport to my married name it has 5 years left on it. They have told me I will lose it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Devon111 wrote: »
    I was changing my passport to my married name it has 5 years left on it. They have told me I will lose it.

If you've not already applied for a new passport, keep the old one and book any flights in your unmarried name until it expires.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Devon111 wrote: »

Yes, that's true, because you will issued with a new 10 year passport, but even before this change you would have only got 10yrs 9 months. The majority of the 5 years remaining on your current passport would still have been lost.

As Pollycat says, just keep your current one (if you haven't already submitted your new passport application) and travel under your unmarried name until it expires, (anecdotally that seems to be what most newly marrieds do)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • rambler0161
    Options
    I understand that the rules have changed and that if I renew my passport now any remaining validity will not be added to the expiry date. However there is another issue that does not appear to receive much publicity that seems even more stealthy and that is the fact that if, when the current passport was issued, extra months were added on these will now be lost. eg my passport was issued on 09/02/2010 with an expiry date of 09/11/2020. I am due to go on holiday in January 2020 and used a government tool to check the validity of my passport for January and have been told that I need to renew it. The passport is deemed to be valid for 10 years from the original issue date ie to 09/02/2020 but because 6 months validity will be required when I travel in January, my passport will not be valid. I was also intending to have a short break in November this year but apparently, even 12 months before the expiry date shown on my passport it will not be valid. How can the passport office remove 9 months that were awarded 10 years ago. I would be grateful for any comments.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand that the rules have changed and that if I renew my passport now any remaining validity will not be added to the expiry date. However there is another issue that does not appear to receive much publicity that seems even more stealthy and that is the fact that if, when the current passport was issued, extra months were added on these will now be lost. eg my passport was issued on 09/02/2010 with an expiry date of 09/11/2020. I am due to go on holiday in January 2020 and used a government tool to check the validity of my passport for January and have been told that I need to renew it. The passport is deemed to be valid for 10 years from the original issue date ie to 09/02/2020 but because 6 months validity will be required when I travel in January, my passport will not be valid. I was also intending to have a short break in November this year but apparently, even 12 months before the expiry date shown on my passport it will not be valid. How can the passport office remove 9 months that were awarded 10 years ago. I would be grateful for any comments.

All thanks to Brexit I'm afraid. It's the only way now that UK passports can be made to function as they did before the madmen took over.
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    All thanks to Brexit I'm afraid. It's the only way now that UK passports can be made to function as they did before the madmen took over.
    (Sighs) It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Passport standards are set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (sic), which defines a maximum validity of 10 years. The UK has now normalised their passports to better comply with these standards.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    (Sighs) It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Passport standards are set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (sic), which defines a maximum validity of 10 years. The UK has now normalised their passports to better comply with these standards.

Sorry. Trying to pretend this isn’t a direct result of Brexit just doesn’t wash.

Passport rules for travel to Europe after Brexit

Advice for British passport holders if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Published 13 September 2018

Last updated 12 April 2019 — see all updates

HM Passport Office

Applying for a new passport

New rules will apply for travel to Europe if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure