Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News

Options
1235789

Comments

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    katejo wrote: »
    Yes I am thinking this way too. I last renewed in June 2009 and my expiry date is March 2020. I had already gathered that I won't be able to use it beyond Sept 2019 but this suggests that I can't use it after June 2019 (exactly 10 years after the renewal) or is it even earlier after Dec 2018? I actually plan to do my renewal by December 2018 before the March 29th cutoff.
    It looks like with no deal it won't be valid in the EU from March 2019, ie Brexit date. Before that we're on current rules, after that, we're a "third country" and as it was issued more than 9 years 6 months ago it won't be valid, according to the article linked above.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Yet another unexpected consequence of Brexit?
    How? What on earth would this have to do with Brexit? If anything you'd have thought we'd have been forced stop this sooner as we're they only EU country to offer it.

    You know, not everything little thing that happens in the UK is.

    Presumably you’ve picked up by now on the hard fact that this is a direct consequence of Brexit and the plans we’re having to make for a no-deal disorderly exit.

    Don’t believe what Brexit liars like Johnson, Gove and Farage tell you all the time, please.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Don’t believe what Brexit liars like Johnson, Gove and Farage tell you all the time, please.
    A bit late, sadly, damage is done...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Presumably you’ve picked up by now on the hard fact that this is a direct consequence of Brexit and the plans we’re having to make for a no-deal disorderly exit.

    However, there was still no requirement for the government to change the system of having up to 9 months added onto passports when renewed.
    All they needed to have done was to advertise the fact that anyone travelling on a passport that had been issued more than 10 years previously wouldn't be allowed entry into EU countries.
    After all, there are many countries that won't allow you in if your passport has less than 6 months validity on it yet the government don't make it a requirement that you must renew before this 6 month remaining period is reached.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    However, there was still no requirement for the government to change the system of having up to 9 months added onto passports when renewed.
    All they needed to have done was to advertise the fact that anyone travelling on a passport that had been issued more than 10 years previously wouldn't be allowed entry into EU countries.
    After all, there are many countries that won't allow you in if your passport has less than 6 months validity on it yet the government don't make it a requirement that you must renew before this 6 month remaining period is reached.

    The fact remains that none of this would have been necessary if we weren’t leaving the EU. It’s yet another bad outcome to add to all the others Brexiteers try in vain to pretend aren’t happening.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The fact remains that none of this would have been necessary if we weren’t leaving the EU. It’s yet another bad outcome to add to all the others Brexiteers try in vain to pretend aren’t happening.

    Bad outcome? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Much ado about nothing.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The fact remains that none of this would have been necessary if we weren’t leaving the EU. It’s yet another bad outcome to add to all the others Brexiteers try in vain to pretend aren’t happening.

    All it is doing is bringing the UK into line with just about every other country in the world when it comes to passport renewals.

    I agree with Brexit completely and if amongst other things that will cost me money because of it I have to pay a little bit more for my passport, I'm more than happy to do so.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There will be much more to be concerned about than 6 months on your passport.

    In 9years 6 months time it may not be relevant to you.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All it is doing is bringing the UK into line with just about every other country in the world when it comes to passport renewals.

    I agree with Brexit completely and if amongst other things that will cost me money because of it I have to pay a little bit more for my passport, I'm more than happy to do so.

    Every other country - you say - apart from the ones that matter most to us, and with which we do by far the greatest part of our trade.

    Can you point to some tangible benefits (apart from all the lies) that will come from leaving? And apart from all the 'will of the people', 'taking back control' and 'keeping out immigrants' nonsense.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Every other country - you say - apart from the ones that matter most to us, and with which we do by far the greatest part of our trade.

    Can you point to some tangible benefits (apart from all the lies) that will come from leaving? And apart from all the 'will of the people', 'taking back control' and 'keeping out immigrants' nonsense.
    As far as I'm aware, (and I'll happily be corrected if wrong) no other country in Europe extends passports by up to 9 months when renewing.
    Why do you consider "taking back control" and "keeping out immigrants" to be nonsense?

    I fully understand that there may well be a period (quite probably a long one) during which the UK economy suffers but I honestly believe that the country will weather this storm and come out of it in a better state then it currently is.

    I think that the common market (EEC) was a good thing but since it has evolved into the EU it has IMO, become far too bloated with far too many very expensive departments governing it and making the decisions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards