Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    cshimv wrote: »
    Back in December last year the website mentioned about the 9 month extension but on
    checking on the page today, this has been removed.
    Look at post #3 in this thread then follow the first link.
    Post #5 in that thread shows a screenshot of what GOV.UK used to say.
    As you say, that statement is no longer there.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 September 2018 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Nobody wins under Brexit.

Apart from Reese Mogg's personal vendetta over EU membership to avenge his fathers defeat.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Look at post #3 in this thread then follow the first link.
    Post #5 in that thread shows a screenshot of what GOV.UK used to say.
    As you say, that statement is no longer there.

The archive.org page is from december, using the governments own archive it shows the "9 months" statement was still there last month.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20180809142720/https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    The archive.org page is from december, using the governments own archive it shows the "9 months" statement was still there last month.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20180809142720/https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew
    I'm not sure it actually matters when the statement was removed.
    The fact is - it is no longer there.
  • Ashville
    Options
    Just to add my voice to those caught out by this. I posted 3 x kids passport renewals on 6th September. They had 7 months remaining but came back dated as expiring on 10th September 2023. I don't have an issue with the policy changing; I do have an issue with the fact they have deliberately hidden the change. If I had known, I would have delayed applying. I have put in an official complaint.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Nobody wins under Brexit.

Irony. Facepalm.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    How? What on earth would this have to do with Brexit? If anything you'd have thought we'd have been forced stop this sooner as we're they only EU country to offer it.

You know, not everything little thing that happens in the UK is.
    Read the MSE article
    After 29 March 2019, if Britain leaves the European Union without a deal, Brits will be considered 'third country nationals' under rules used in the Schengen area - an area comprising 26 European countries that have officially abolished passport and all other types of border control at their borders.
    Being 'third country nationals' means we will need to comply with different rules to enter and travel around the Schengen area, than we do now, as members of the European Union.
    According to the Schengen Border Code, if you are from a 'third country', you need to have a passport issued in the last 10 years in order to travel to a Schengen country - and under the old rules, where time left on your passport was added to your new one, not everyone with a valid UK passport would have had their passport issued within the past ten years."
    So it's everything to do with Brexit.
  • forumposter99
    Options
    I looked on GOV.UK and read that I would receive the extra unexpired months - paid the money and submitted my application - but then didn't get the extra months - isn't that fraud?

Alternatively (choose your own word)....... fibbing/lying/sneaky/incompetent
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I looked on GOV.UK and read that I would receive the extra unexpired months - paid the money and submitted my application - but then didn't get the extra months - isn't that fraud?

Alternatively (choose your own word)....... fibbing/lying/sneaky/incompetent
    It'll be incompetance. Or rather, govt and the civil service being snowed under with all the different implications of Brexit that someone probably only just realised this one.

They should have stopped it earlier - 9 months before March 2019 not 6 months, that implies they've only just realised and needed to change things quick.

But don't worry, we'll have 350 million a week extra soon, the govt will probably be able to afford to abolish fees for your next passport renewal :rotfl:
  • paid for my 10 year old’s passport to be renewed on Sunday (online) it is due to expire in March 2019, after her 11th birthday. I assumed she would have the remaining time added on, as she had in the past. This would mean her next passport would be a 10 year adult passport. Now she will have to get a further child passport. Since I have already paid the fee I need to submit the application in the next 90 days, so don’t have the option to wait.

Rather annoying really....
  • muhandis
    Options
    Latest from MSE

"When we initially contacted the Home Office on Wednesday it refused to officially confirm there had been any change in policy, but documents released on Thursday explain the change has been made as part of preparations for the UK to leave the European Union. "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure