Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News

Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    sje_111 wrote: »
    Unless the only countries that require a maximum 10 year validity period are within the EU, there's something wrong with the logic on this.

If other countries have this maximum 10 year period then we would have had problems before now.

Sounds like a way for our dear government to make yet more money from us.

What's wrong with the logic?
    The reason for the change is that countries that are part of the Schengen agreement have a stipulation that anyone entering one of those countries and who has a passport issued by a non EU or non Schengen country must hold a passport issued no more than 10 years prior to entry.
    When the UK is part of the EU, this 10 year validity doesn't apply. It only starts to affect UK passport holders once the UK leaves the EU as we then class as "third country" nationals (not part of Schengen or the EU).
  • scoutkim3870
    Options
    I did my passport renewal online on 3rd September. It was not due to expire until February. I sent my old passport by Signed For delivery and the passport office signed for it on 6th September. However I had to ring them twice before it finally showed up on their system as received on 12th! They have dated it to September 2028 but if the rules changed on the 10th, I can prove they had my old passport before that. What are my chances of appealing ...???
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    sje_111 wrote: »
    Sounds like a way for our dear government to make yet more money from us.

The cost of the passport covers the cost of processing the application and issuing the secure document. It's not a tax. No one is benefiting from this.

It's worth noting that the cost of a UK passport fell from £77.50 to £72.50 in 2012. The current on line price of £75.50 is still less than it was six years ago.
  • smudge56
    Options
    I did my passport renewal online on 3rd September. It was not due to expire until February. I sent my old passport by Signed For delivery and the passport office signed for it on 6th September. However I had to ring them twice before it finally showed up on their system as received on 12th! They have dated it to September 2028 but if the rules changed on the 10th, I can prove they had my old passport before that. What are my chances of appealing ...???
    Very slim. It was signed for on the 6th which just meant it was received into the office. It then had to be checked and scanned onto the system before sending on to an examination team. The 6 th was a Thursday, and taking into account the weekend, your passport was actually issued quickly.
  • deke777
    Options
    Just like getting 9 months MOT and paying for 12 months. Same for Car Insurance or, Supermarkets slapping on a 5% service charge for your groceries at the checkout:mad::mad:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    deke777 wrote: »
    Just like getting 9 months MOT and paying for 12 months. Same for Car Insurance or, Supermarkets slapping on a 5% service charge for your groceries at the checkout:mad::mad:
    It's nothing like that.
  • martinbuckley
    Options
    Thank the wise 52% who voted to leave the EU for this rule change.

Another "Brexit Dividend"?
  • martinbuckley
    Options

As the guidance notes say your new passport can take up to 3 weeks to arrive, I'd say you received a very quick service!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank the wise 52% who voted to leave the EU for this rule change.

Another "Brexit Dividend"?

Too true. And I seriously think we've reached the point when some sort of basic intelligence test is required before anybody's let anywhere near a ballot paper.
  • nodiscount
    Options
    What's wrong with the logic?
    The reason for the change is that countries that are part of the Schengen agreement have a stipulation that anyone entering one of those countries and who has a passport issued by a non EU or non Schengen country must hold a passport issued no more than 10 years prior to entry.
    When the UK is part of the EU, this 10 year validity doesn't apply. It only starts to affect UK passport holders once the UK leaves the EU as we then class as "third country" nationals (not part of Schengen or the EU).

They are doing it for 5 year child passports too which is even more out of order given the info above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure