NST - Achievable August

Options

Comments

• Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dawn - Please don't take this the wrong way but your post had me laughing out loud. My OH will freeze anything. It's a standing joke in our family that he has been known to freeze one brussel sprout or a single chip. He also reuses freezer bags (though I haven't yet pegged them out on the washing line!). I've shown him your post and he's so pleased to find a kindred spirit. Actually, joking aside, so much food is wasted that can be frozen and reused. It's criminal really when you think there are people relying on food banks. Just to add to your tip we mash potatoes that are getting past their best and freeze them and if you peel carrots, put them in cold water and put them in the fridge they last for ages. I'm sure everyone has lots of tips for freezing/using up food so let's share. Any ideas for a mountain of left over roast chicken?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Much better sleep last night so have actually done something today. Had a little walk and the Boy's washing is all done and dried on the line.

Work on - Keeping up with trying to smarten myself up and get in to a routine. Got my cousin in Canada to let me have her email address so I can keep in touch properly. We are occasionally in touch by the Facebook messenger thing but I'm not comfortable using that.

NSD 4/15. We did pass the shops but managed to avoid spending any money.

Update (Budgets) -Can't think of anything more to do this month apart from contact the dreaded Virgin.

Get (prepared for Xmas) -Must start looking for cards and wrapping paper (like Mothernerd's idea of buying paper that can be used for birthdays, etc as well. Let's face it it doesn't have to have snowmen on it to look pretty!). I'm still using stamps that I bought last year. Don't know why I bought so many.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - Another walk?

Share (money saving tips) - See reply to Dawn's post above. I'm sure there are lots of ways of saving waste of food. The carrot thing also works with parsnips, by the way.

Treat (yourself) -That's for later this month

I have been a bit lazy for the past couple of days but lots to do next week.
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm up to NSD number 5, really chuffed with that! I will probably spend tomorrow, need some more eyebrow powder have been shopping around looking for a good deal online.

Today I've been volunteering this morning and then went riding. Was bitten by my horse, starting to feel like giving it all up at the moment. I'm sure it's only temporary, just don't enjoy being bitten and don't enjoy having to ride in this heat when all you can do is walk... But I digress!

Working from home tomorrow so will save on fuel. Having our new Hive system fitted. Not that I'm thinking of heating at the moment AT. ALL. but it'll come in handy come winter time. Also going to donate some old pet cages and toys to a local rescue centre.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Back home, in my nightie and relaxing. Mentally preparing myself for a busy week ahead. I've done lots of planning so I know what to expect while we're away. I've contacted my Airbnb host to ask what supermarkets and eating places they have locally so I know what to expect and can plan food. It's my first Airbnb trip but it seems much better value than a hotel, and also me and the kids will have more than 1 room for the couple of days we're away, which is excellent as far as I'm concerned. So there's a preliminary money saving tip - fingers crossed it's as good as it looks and as the reviews suggest.
    I'm terrible with food waste, it's one thing that I could significantly improve on so I will be reading here with great interest. I find I freeze stuff then just forget all about it so need to make more of an effort.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dawn - Please don't take this the wrong way but your post had me laughing out loud. My OH will freeze anything. It's a standing joke in our family that he has been known to freeze one brussel sprout or a single chip. He also reuses freezer bags (though I haven't yet pegged them out on the washing line!). I've shown him your post and he's so pleased to find a kindred spirit. Actually, joking aside, so much food is wasted that can be frozen and reused. It's criminal really when you think there are people relying on food banks. Just to add to your tip we mash potatoes that are getting past their best and freeze them and if you peel carrots, put them in cold water and put them in the fridge they last for ages. I'm sure everyone has lots of tips for freezing/using up food so let's share. Any ideas for a mountain of left over roast chicken?

Lol he sounds a very sensible chap to me :rotfl: I am a bit 'green' (as well as a bit stingy :rotfl:) and I hate the thought of contributing to environmental problems by wasting food. And it is like throwing money away, isn't it, if you think about it. Sadly, there are so many people even in this country who struggle to get enough to eat, that it just doesn't seem right on that level either :(

Leftover roast chicken, you can do loads with it - curry, sweet and sour, soup, risotto, lots of ideas on https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/leftover-chicken

You can use it straight away, or :D freeze it :D for use later. With all these things, you have to label them, do a regular freezer inventory so you know what you have got, and make sure you use it, instead of buying more. Totally worth it given current food prices!

I post on the Small Things thread most days, and it is rare for a day to go by without one of us 'triaging' the fridge (checking it for things that are past their best / need using up) or redoing the freezer inventory :D

Anyway, I am going to the fridge now, in search of *leftover* wine :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Dawn - Making some soup tomorrow which will not even make a dent in the chicken mountain. I must confess that some of this is my fault because , as you get older, your appetite reduces (sorry but it is a fact) and for a long time I was still doing enormous portions. We are both getting this under control now but there are a lot of perfectly good leftovers in the freezer that need to be used.

It always makes me laugh on cookery programmes where they say "if you have any leftover wine". Nobody in my circle of friends ever has leftover wine,
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any ideas for a mountain of left over roast chicken?

Toni
    We portion left over roast chicken into bags and then freeze them. When we want to use it we just defrost it and use it either to make a quick curry, just add your sauce or in a risotto eg chicken and mushroom. Have also used some in a chicken and ham pie. Just make sure its nothing you would refreeze as you have already cooked the chicken and frozen it so dont freeze it again.
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Day 4 & 5

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

Moisiturising nails still going well

Rules:

Aim; for 15 NSDs this month. 3/15. Spendy day yesterday as popped into poundworld whilst DH and DS2 were getting haircuts and found a few useful bits which cost less than £4. NSD today.

Update (Budgets) - done have signed up to YNAB to see how I get on with it. I normally do spreadsheets but this looked interesting so thought I would give the trial a go and see how I got on.

Get (prepared for Xmas) - at work we used to do a secret santa but changed that a few years ago to doing bags for kids that dont get things or very little at xmas. We normally do two bags each a boy and a girl so I found a lovely little tractor and trailer in Poundworld as well as an Avengers torch so that a start on that present.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - We went to a museum yesterday as ds2 didnt fancy the idea we had but wanted to go to a museum so that was good and then today we went geocaching, nice walk in a forest not too far away looking for treasures.

Share (money saving tips) - trying to think of another one

Treat (yourself) - still thinking - saw a really nice nail varnish that in is B&M so may grab that as a treat although I really dont need any more :rotfl:
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD today 4/20.
    Did some voluntary work again this afternoon in London. Got travel and refreshments paid for. It is good to keep me busy.
    Relaxing this evening and watching Sherlock. Drinking a small brandy.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Evening everyone :hello:

Day 4 progress is as follows:
    • Aim for 15 NSDS - 1/15
    • Update (budgets) - spends are at £119.33/£350. £1.27 added to the EF to date
    • Get prepared (for Xmas) - no progress
    • Utilise (free activities in your area) - one of the parks has an event on with free activities as part of the Glasgow 2018 European Championship. May pop along on Sat with the wee one weather permitting
    • Share (money saving tips) - take all you electronic devices to work so you can charge them at your employers expense thus saving you money on your own electricity bill :)
    • Treat (yourself) - bought my face masks. 2 were on sale so I got 3 for £2 :j
    • Read as many books as possible - 1 book finished, 1 book in progress
    • Batch cook for the little one - 4 portions of vegetable soup, 5 portions of sausage rolls, 4 portions of shepherds pie and 3 portions of cheesy tomato risotto cooked and frozen
    • Make £50 additional income - £3.76 made to date

Donated 2 packs of baby wipes to the food bank.

Haven’t lost patience with the wee one yet, he’s still awake though so there’s still time.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure