new phone recommendations

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The official Android Pie (UK based) is presently downloading on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for those who've already got one.
    d123 wrote: »
    Abuse?

Everyone can see where you went wrong supposing old features were part of Pie just because you hadn’t seen them before, there is no need for me to deny anything when it’s there for people to read.

But you keep digging (and believing features that have been out for years are brand new and only part of Pie)...

For the terminally stupid I've included my original post at the top.

You can stop posting now...

:D
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For the terminally stupid I've included my original post at the top.

You can stop posting now...

:D

This is probably a better post for the terminally stupid ;)
    J_B wrote: »
    And, in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me;))

No mention of Xiaomi, no mention of what Colin’s unique experiances (or lack of experience with phones other than Xiaomi) are.

Simple question “in what way is this new OS going to benefit you and me

Not “how does this new OS only benefit Xiaomi owners who don’t know about features in standard Android”.

Maybe you misunderstood the original question and then rather than admitting to the misunderstanding you just dug and dug and dug...
    ====
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2018 at 3:17PM
    Options
    The official Android Pie (UK based) is presently downloading on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for those who've already got one.

Congratulation. Wow, impressive fast timely upgrade (much faster than Samsung Galaxy S9.... )
    J_B wrote: »
    And, in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me;))

Here is some information on Android Pie.

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-pie-android-9-port-custom-roms/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_NARjw4yCM

Unlike computer Operation system, Smartphone OS is still improving for basic features, such as battery efficiency (Adaptive Battery) and usability. I am very much interested in the features such as more battery efficiency and dark mode option. (I personally am not keen to Gesture features, copied from iOS ?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_NARjw4yCM

My Oneplus One was upgraded from Android 6 to Android 8.1 (Lineage OS 15.1) quite recently. I may not notice on the surface, but stability, usability, and battery efficiency (the basic functionality) have been improved. I intend to upgrade to Android 9 when available vie Android Opensource Custom Rom (Lineage OS 16 ?)

You might want to wait for while. The important point is that your Xiaomi Mi A2 lite has been properly supported as announced. So many smartphones software upgrade has been ignored, especially budged smartphones. You are able to use your smartphone much longer than other smartphone without software obsolescence. That is point.

Xiaomi Mi A2 must be the best budget smartphone in terms of software support at the moment, thanks to Android One device.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    XDA is a developer focus website, but you can get alternative independent (and less euro-centric) reviews on the smartphone,

Mishaal Rahman :Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
    The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite is an incredible device in the low-end tier. If you end up buying a budget device, you often sacrifice long-term software support. That’s not true of the Mi A2 Lite, though. It’s an Android One device meaning it runs basically stock Android and has 2 years of guaranteed software updates and monthly Android security patches. Although the Snapdragon 625 is fairly old by this point, there’s a reason it’s so highly utilized by Xiaomi—it’s no slouch. The Mi A2 Lite has a respectable 4,000mAh battery that helps the phone easily last through an entire day.
    Joe Fedewa
    Best Overall Low-end Device: Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
    You’ve probably figured out that software is a big deal to me, so Android One is a must-have at this range. Low-end devices are low-powered, so you don’t want the software to bog it down. The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite is a very nice device with dual cameras, a big battery, and a good display. The device was released over the Summer with Android Oreo, but Xiaomi has already rolled out the Android Pie update.
    Max Weinbach
    Best Overall Low-end Device: Huawei P20 Lite
    The best low-end device is the Huawei P20 Lite. This device is running EMUI 8 and has some of the best features on the low-end scale. It is a fast and very good device for the price you will be spending. If the mid-range and flagships are out of your price range, this is the best phone to get.
    Eric Hulse
    Best Overall Low-end Device: Motorola One
    It’s an unlocked device with a big, modern-looking display. It’s also got an SD Slot and is Dual SIM. It’s an Android One devices, so we’re looking at fast updates and clean Android. It also comes equipped with “turbocharging,” a decent sized battery, and a headphone jack.
    Doug Lynch
    Best Overall Low-end Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
    The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 is a beautiful device powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625, and it’s a great smartphone for the money. If you’re on a budget, you can’t go wrong with this one.
    Adam Conway
    Best Overall Low-end Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
    The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 is a beautiful device powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625, and it’s a great smartphone for the money. If you’re on a budget, you can’t go wrong with this one.

Reference:

https://www.xda-developers.com/top-smartphones-of-2018/

Unlike Xiaomi A2 lite, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 is not Andorid One device, thetrefore its software support is limited. (However, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 is also a developer friendly device, and you can install Custom Rom by yourself.)
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just an update to say I got the Xiaomi A2 Lite and I'm quite happy with it, only thing I find annoying is that whatsapp won't display the number of messages like my old phone did... looks they have removed this functionality :(

Apart from this the phone is very good, I would recommend it for the price.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 6:23PM
    Options
    Loop
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    Just an update to say I got the Xiaomi A2 Lite and I'm quite happy with it, only thing I find annoying is that whatsapp won't display the number of messages like my old phone did... looks they have removed this functionality :(

Apart from this the phone is very good, I would recommend it for the price.
    You get used to that. You do get the WhatsApp symbol at the top and on the lock screen also the messages show in the notifications.
    The things that are putting me.off that phone is lack of headphone Jack and no micro SD card slot.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 6:59PM
    Options
    The things that are putting me.off that phone is lack of headphone Jack and no micro SD card slot.

Well the good news is that it has both :)

The A2 doesn't have a headphone jack (does have a dual sim and Micro SD slot though), perhaps you're mixing the two up?

Edit: no SD slot in the A2
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...The things that are putting me.off that phone is lack of headphone Jack ....

gocomma USB Type-C to 3.5mm Earphone Jack Cable Adapter - BLACK / WHITE £0.80 GearBest
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes that's not my phone.. I have headphones jack and SD card slot, this was the main reason I got it because my previouse one (Redmi 3S) didn't have it and i was running our of space all the time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    Yes that's not my phone.. I have headphones jack and SD card slot, this was the main reason I got it because my previouse one (Redmi 3S) didn't have it and i was running our of space all the time.

So to clarify... Exact model and where you bought it and price please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure