new phone recommendations

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    And, in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me;))

Probably not the place for a breakdown of Pie but so far I'd say it's quicker and smoother than Oreo which considering I had no issues with the previous version is some accomplishment.

Two features that standout so far for me is the smart WiFi which turns on automatically when you're in proximity of any previously saved network or any open public network(I think), I presume it then turns off when you leave although I've not noticed that yet.

The other bit I like is using the fingerprint sensor to swipe down to open up notifications and a second time for the rest. A swipe up closes it, it is very intuitive.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Two features that standout so far for me is the smart WiFi which turns on automatically when you're in proximity of any previously saved network or any open public network(I think), I presume it then turns off when you leave although I've not noticed that yet.
    Sorry, confused dot com
    When I get home, my phone automatically connects to our wifi and disconnects when I leave .... (and always has done)

The other bit I like is using the fingerprint sensor to swipe down to open up notifications and a second time for the rest. A swipe up closes it, it is very intuitive.
    and I don't use the fingerprint thingy ....

Maybe I'll stick! :D
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

My Sony Z3 Compact running Marshmallow does this.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Sorry, confused dot com
    When I get home, my phone automatically connects to our wifi and disconnects when I leave .... (and always has done)
    Mister_G wrote: »
    My Sony Z3 Compact running Marshmallow does this.

I presumed this was a Pie feature? Or are you two talking about just leaving WiFi on all of the time?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably not the place for a breakdown of Pie but so far I'd say it's quicker and smoother than Oreo which considering I had no issues with the previous version is some accomplishment.

Don’t all phones already automatically connect to known WiFi networks?

Something I’ve seen and used on phones for ages, even budget phones like the Honor 9 lite can do that.
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Don’t all phones already automatically connect to known WiFi networks?

Not if you've got WiFi turned off, no.
    Something I’ve seen and used on phones for ages, even budget phones like the Honor 9 lite can do that.

First phone I've had that's got a fingerprint scanner so never come across it. It certainly wasn't active on Oreo on mine.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not if you've got WiFi turned off, no.

Why would you turn WiFi off? Most people have WiFi on and mobile data off as WiFi is free while mobile data isn’t.

That would be described as a non-feature...

First phone I've had that's got a fingerprint scanner so never come across it. It certainly wasn't active on Oreo on mine.

Doesn’t change the fact it’s not a new feature and has been around for ages.
    ====
  • little_green
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    I am interested in opinions on what the 'best' android phone I can get for £250 is right now?
    (i dont know if £250- is considered low end or mid-range)

I have simple needs (whatsApp, messaging, phone calls!, Waze, Instagram) but am looking for something that takes decent 'auto' pictures, is reasonably zippy and will last me a few years.

I have seen the Huawei P20 Lite and it looks interesting but I am unsure how much the fact that it is not 'stock' android will affect the user experience as i try to install apps in the future.

Any pointers or experiences?

Many, many thanks.
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Honor 8X (£210) or Honor Play (£225). I’d go for the Play as it’s got a faster processor.

I'd say the nokia 8 currently £220 at John lewis.
    snapdragon 835 processor, 64gb memory & 4gb ram. I own one & love it! Has bigger than average bezels but other than that it's up there with any other flagship from the past year. Oh & stock android :D
    camera have below average reviews BUT just get the pixel cam apk (free) & photos are decent.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I presumed this was a Pie feature? Or are you two talking about just leaving WiFi on all of the time?

I leave it on all the time. Why would you not?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why would you turn WiFi off? Most people have WiFi on and mobile data off as WiFi is free while mobile data isn’t.

That would be described as a non-feature...

So you have your phone set to WiFi on and mobile data off at all times? You might as well as buy a dumb phone.
    Doesn’t change the fact it’s not a new feature and has been around for ages.

Where did I say it was a new feature generally? I was (obviously) talking about Pie on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure