new phone recommendations

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Murielson wrote: »
    For those who know this Mi A2 Lite phone - what is the best way to set up the microsd card? Gives me option to make it internal memory or able to be used with other devices but not certain of full implications of these choices?

If it's internal then it expands the 32/64GB internal memory for apps but you can't just pull it out. If left as external then you use it to transfer music etc from device to device.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2018 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    Thanks, it's slightly bigger that I would like but it does tick all the boxes... I really like some Samsungs but they are impossible to find in the UK with the dual sim :(

Actually the Redmi Note 5A may suit better then as it's a 5.5 inch screen but the same dual sim/sd card slot.

Edit: or the 6A or 6 too.
  • popcornshed
    Options
    I have just got a Samsung Galaxy A6 with TEsco Mobile for £330.

I bought it up front as opposed to getting a contract to save money
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Why when you can get it from john Lewis for £229?
    Fools and their money...
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2018 at 7:00AM
    Options
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why when you can get it from john Lewis for £229?
    Fools and their money...
    Ouch! Especially as it appears to be £229 everywhere but Tesco. :huh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    Ouch! Especially as it appears to be £229 everywhere but Tesco. :huh:

I was hoping the £330 was a typo but it really isn't:-

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/pay-as-you-go/samsung/a6
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

If you're still within any sort of cool off period then see if you can return it.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2018 at 1:47AM
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    Thanks for this :T
    SAMSUNG Galaxy J6 at £139.99 (down from £179.99)

Probably worth the extra £20 for the 32GB and the OCTOcore processor with 3GB ram
    ballyblack wrote: »
    or the cheaper moto g6 play 32GB around £120 with much larger battery but lower processor

All of Galaxy J6, Moto g6 play, Galaxy A6 shares the same specification, I think that you should avoid all of them at 2018 ?

Because of lower display resolution (720[STRIKE]dpi[/STRIKE] pixels)

Interestingly everybody mentioned about the brand, processor and price (of course), but nobody mentioned about display resolution.... :( Then OEMs are clever enough to cut the cost with cheaper lower screen to make extra money from you.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9203&idPhone2=9002&idPhone3=9155

All of them are 720[STRIKE]dpi[/STRIKE] pixels display when 1080[STRIKE]dpi[/STRIKE] pixels are available at reasonable cost at 2018. Here is the money saving site, if you want to pick up the decent honest smartphone at budget mid range phone, it would be wider to pick up 1080[STRIKE]dpi[/STRIKE] pixels smart phone, avoid 720[STRIKE]dpi[/STRIKE] pixels display smartphone.

At 2018, 1080[STRIKE]dpi[/STRIKE] pixels is a standard. Think again, Why do you have to pick up the older standard (say at 2014) at 2018 ? I really want you to use your smartphone next 5 years :D

Of course, our favorite Xiaomi A2 Lite, (A2, and last year's A1) support 1080dip display.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9247&idPhone2=9140&sSearch3=a1&idPhone3=8776

Edit (Added the below)

Don't ignore Software Update/upgrade issues with your smartphone!

In addition, nobody talk about Software update issue here, (then OEMs ignore software update to your budget smartphone) Please note Xiami A2 and A2 lite have already received Android Pie (UK release will follow soon). Last year's Xiami A1 (released 9.2017) is getting an Android Pie beta now.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-a1-android-pie-beta/

When you buy a Windows computer, are you going to buy a computer which will never get OS upgrade ? (That would be a piece of junk, but when it comes to smartphone, nobody seems care :eek:!!!)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    toshi wrote: »
    All of them are 720dpi display when 1080dpi are available at reasonable cost at 2018. Here is the money saving site, if you want to pick up the decent honest smartphone at budget mid range phone, it would be wider to pick up 1080dpi smart phone, avoid 720dpi display smartphone.

At 2018, 1080dpi is a standard. Think again, Why do you have to pick up the older standard (say at 2014) at 2018 ? I really want you to use your smartphone next 5 years :D

Of course, our favorite Xiaomi A2 Lite, (A2, and last year's A1) support 1080dip display.

Just to clarify (in case you start confusing people) resolution on LCD screens are not dpi, (dpi is a measurement of printer output and is short for dots per inch), a phone screen would be measured in ppi (pixels per inch), however the screen would simply be described as 1080i, for example, which is 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels for full HD.

If you’d like to read up on dpi vs ppi, here are a few links

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business