new phone recommendations

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    in this price you can get Samsung s6 this is good phone and good camera
    No it's not. It's very old and has no expandable storage. This is the kind of bad advice that renders threads like these pointless.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you have your phone set to WiFi on and mobile data off at all times? You might as well as buy a dumb phone.

I don’t, because I have an sufficient data allowance not to need to, but many people do. They use WiFi for the bulk of their data and only turn mobile data on for specific use with it being off as standard.

As any WiFi network the phone will actually connect to would be free I can’t think of a single usage case where turning WiFi off is a good idea.

Where did I say it was a new feature generally? I was (obviously) talking about Pie on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite.

Might have been (obviously) so in your head, it wasn’t in your post which simply referenced Pie.
    Probably not the place for a breakdown of Pie but so far I'd say it's quicker and smoother than Oreo which considering I had no issues with the previous version is some accomplishment.

Two features that standout so far for me is the smart WiFi which turns on automatically when you're in proximity of any previously saved network or any open public network(I think), I presume it then turns off when you leave although I've not noticed that yet.

The other bit I like is using the fingerprint sensor to swipe down to open up notifications and a second time for the rest. A swipe up closes it, it is very intuitive.

If it wasn’t a Pie feature you were referring to, why would you refer to it as a new feature in Pie?
    ====
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Years ago on the iPhone everytime you had WiFi turn on it would try to connect to a WiFi single which annoyed me. Whatever new software update caused it I’m glad my phone does not auto connect to free WiFi on my local train service as they have restrictive policy’s and I could never use Instagram on their network. My WiFi is not turned off so when I get home it auto connects with my network.
  • d123
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    Years ago on the iPhone everytime you had WiFi turn on it would try to connect to a WiFi single which annoyed me. Whatever new software update caused it I’m glad my phone does not auto connect to free WiFi on my local train service as they have restrictive policy’s and I could never use Instagram on their network. My WiFi is not turned off so when I get home it auto connects with my network.

“Ask to join networks” toggle to off in WiFi settings, it’s been there for many years iirc. In fact, since at least 2012.

;)

Edit

Make that since at least Jan 2008.
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    I don’t, because I have an sufficient data allowance not to need to, but many people do. They use WiFi for the bulk of their data and only turn mobile data on for specific use with it being off as standard.

As any WiFi network the phone will actually connect to would be free I can’t think of a single usage case where turning WiFi off is a good idea.

Have you got a list of these made up people you surveyed to see how they use their phones? That's a rhetorical question BTW if you're wondering.
    Might have been (obviously) so in your head, it wasn’t in your post which simply referenced Pie.

If it wasn’t a Pie feature you were referring to, why would you refer to it as a new feature in Pie?

It was in the posts that it was referencing or would you rather everybody quote ever single post just so you wouldn't actually have to read something before blinding us with your "wisdom"?
  • d123
    Options
    Have you got a list of these made up people you surveyed to see how they use their phones? That's a rhetorical question BTW if you're wondering.

Having worked in the industry since the 90’s I’ve personally met many of the them, there’s a lot of them that even post on forums just like this one saying that.

It was in the posts that it was referencing or would you rather everybody quote ever single post just so you wouldn't actually have to read something before blinding us with your "wisdom"?

Nice try ;) but a bit of a back-pedal, someone asked you “in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me)”?

That was your exact answer quoted above in my last post, no reference to being a new feature in a specific Xiaomi phone, but presented as an exciting new feature of Android Pie.

Sometimes it’s just easier to say “my mistake, sorry, I was wrong” than to keep on digging ;).
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Having worked in the industry since the 90’s I’ve personally met many of the them, there’s a lot of them that even post on forums just like this one saying that.

So you do have a list...
    Nice try ;) but a bit of a back-pedal, someone asked you “in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me)”?

That was your exact answer quoted above in my last post, no reference to being a new feature in a specific Xiaomi phone, but presented as an exciting new feature of Android Pie.

Sometimes it’s just easier to say “my mistake, sorry, I was wrong” than to keep on digging ;).

Oh dear, you quote the person replying to my initial post but then just ignore what he was actually replying to (or was that deliberate?)
    The official Android Pie (UK based) is presently downloading on my Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite for those who've already got one.
    And, in what way is this new OS going to benefit you (and me)

• d123
    Options
    So you do have a list...

Oh dear, you quote the person replying to my initial post but then just ignore what he was actually replying to (or was that deliberate?)

You’re beginning to look quite daft now...
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You’re beginning to look quite daft now...

Hahahahahahaha, he knows he's wrong so he goes into full denial mode and reverts to abuse.

Pathetic. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • d123
    Options
    Hahahahahahaha, he knows he's wrong so he goes into full denial mode and reverts to abuse.

Pathetic. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Abuse?

Everyone can see where you went wrong supposing old features were part of Pie just because you hadn’t seen them before, there is no need for me to deny anything when it’s there for people to read.

But you keep digging (and believing features that have been out for years are brand new and only part of Pie)...
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport