swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 5:56AM
    Evening everyone,

Day 2 update:
    • NSDs - 15 -1/15
    • Use things up - read one of my library books
    • Value for money - need to renew my home insurance and change broadband/tv as talktalk are getting expensive. Will go through quidco/topcashback. Also want a haircut and will look for a voucher for this - talktalk cancelled
    • Check in every day - will try my best - 2 out of 31 check ins complete
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one - 4 portions of butternut squash soup made
    • Read as many books as possible - 1 book in progress, 1 book complete
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    • NSDs - Giving it a go for 20.
    • Remember others - on the case.
      Pay to your debts or savings FIRST and live off the rest

• Set your budgets. Done
    • Use things up - will do but I'm pretty good at this as I've only got 2small shelves and a tiny fridge.
    • Revisit those targets. I'm doing pretty well. On course to have a months worth of wages saved by September when I have to find a new source of income.
    • Vacation time! Will be working through the holidays but need to squeeze in a visit to DM in the north of Scotland.
    • Inspire others - My grown up kids are now allergic to National Trust but I regret none of it. A cheap day out.
    • Value for money - lots more I could be doing here.
    • Every day - I really am grateful for so much. You will never hear me complain about the weather or the perfume of the pollen.

• Jump - getting ready to jump into July.
    • Unless budgeted. Tomorrow I've a planned evening out with friends - first Tuesday, every month a different restaurant and on Friday's after work it's a quick trip to the library with colleagues. The library has hand pumps.
    • Lose the excess. Not too bad on this front but do need to tidy up so will see what can go at the same time.
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. I haven't planned financing Christmas as yet as too preoccupied with what is happening in September. Will have to come up with a contingency plan. Doing pretty well as far as the finances go at the moment.

Let's go Turtles!
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,869
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    NSD 1/13 :D

Grateful for a very productive day at work, sitting out in the garden and hm sausage rolls for tea.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10238.44/£15000 (68.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1292.77/£1500 (86.2% saved).
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    A NSD. Only went as far as the library and that was a struggle. Took a bag for the charity bin and returned a book. Also put a bagful of sticks in the green bin. Will tackle the kitchen bin in a minute - could not find the binbags earlier (we have binbags they said - yes because the last 6 rolls I bought all disappeared). Will use the one I snaeaked into my room.

I have conjunctivitis. Spent most of the day dozing and playing games as reading hurt too much.

Today I am grateful for relaxing, for plotting (brain is still working so getting a plan of action together including shortcuts - if spray is around, I will zap all the weeds growing in the spaces between the flagstones), having a dress to wear.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    mothernerd wrote: »
    A NSD. Only went as far as the library and that was a struggle. Took a bag for the charity bin and returned a book. Also put a bagful of sticks in the green bin. Will tackle the kitchen bin in a minute - could not find the binbags earlier (we have binbags they said - yes because the last 6 rolls I bought all disappeared). Will use the one I snaeaked into my room.

I have conjunctivitis. Spent most of the day dozing and playing games as reading hurt too much.

Today I am grateful for relaxing, for plotting (brain is still working so getting a plan of action together including shortcuts - if spray is around, I will zap all the weeds growing in the spaces between the flagstones), having a dress to wear.
    Hope the Conjunctivitis clears up soon.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 274
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Checking in for the first time this month.
    Had started writing post last night but the cat walked over the keyboard and managed to switch off typing function so I couldn't type anything. Did the sensible thing and switched pc off.
    All working properly today.
    Have got 2NSDs. Aiming for 13 but hoping for more.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all :j

Will try for 13 NSDs & hope to get nearer to 20....2/13 today

Set your budgets not yet done
    Use Most definitely want to do this; have a mountain of food & stuff to clear. Have been sorting but it is a big task, not made easier by being unwell for the past few days & find the hot weather difficult especially when unwell. Will record progress on here to call me to account. Must view house as massive shop full of items which can be (mostly) sold. Have already discovered loads of clothes etc than I can either wear or sell. Also have makeup & toiletries, need not buy any of those either..still a bit poorly but managed to wash & iron some clothes & list a few on FB selling sites. One sold straight away but they've not paid yet, if the others don't go I will list on ebay..

Revisit Targets were like other peoples I think, to lose weigh (not really); to declutter - some progress; to stop wasting money - also some progress there..will list any weight losses/stuff leaving the house/money gained by selling...when it happens

Vacation Have already booked to go to Ireland for 3 weeks from July; aim to sell some stuff to pay for spends over there. Will also be planning some days out & at least another visit to the Old Country later in the year, probably 2. Started to list stuff but no income as yet, WIP.

Value Always do try to use cashback sites where possible, and find value for money in shopping. Also have a card which gives me vouchers; and do some work which pays in vouchers too. Use cheaper supermarkets & have HB & Fultons here as well, which are both good for some stuff. No shopping as yet but will be Lidl/Aldi tomorrow.

Every Checking in 2/31 Gratitudes: Cool breeze tonight; helpful DH who went to PO & tip with bags of carp from cellar; perfume of lilies in enclosed garden lovely; feeling better..

Jump No jumping here either but in the garden every day when possible. Do try to drink water but struggle with this. In the garden this morning & tonight, a few glasses of water but probs not enough.

Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Nope

Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made:
    Hope to do this

Yearly we are halfway through 2018. Good idea, will have a big list of outside jobs that need doing/big/small & in between. Got up early & DH lugged lots of bin bags up from cellar & made his first-ever tip run.. more to go after that, but a lot went. Need to make big list probs tomorrow..
    Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • mummylewis
    mummylewis Posts: 91 Forumite
    Good morning!

Please may I be added to July?

I've got 2 NSDs in the bag already and will be aiming for 18.

Budgets
    £150 groceries/household
    £80 fuel

No birthdays this month. I'm currently in a huge project for an Xmas present so that's on the go already, it's taking forever! Others will be food related so can't be started yet. (I've set that budget already too and have it coming out of October payday budget however if I've seen a good bargain then I've been taking it from that months grocery budget). I have a bottle of whisky for DH that was half price and some books for DD from Costco that worked out at £1 each for the same ones you'd pay a fiver for each.

I have to go shopping today so won't be an nsd however I have truly discovered Aldi now so won't be as expensive as the usual Sainsbury's trip (even though I do love nectar points!) I can't believe it's taken me this long to do a big shop there, although it has helped that a new one has just been built right next to Sainsbury's so I don't have to go to the next village.

I've paid off a good chunk of my credit card this month, the rest of it will go next month and then be clear. After that will be onto the next bill. Neverending mess but determined to be out of it!

Will try to check in later with daily gratitudes.

MLx
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 8:14AM
    Good morning,

today shall be my first SFD. Yesterday wasn't as I caved in and got myself a new phone, calendar/diary thing for 18/19 and some resistance bands. My old phones got dropped and stepped on too many times. The last one only worked for browsing the internet and the older one I resurrected to actually use as a phone worked only very intermittently. So a new one was needed. Got one from Tesco with good review, reduced and used my Tesco vouchers I had sitting there (finally price £82, already got a contract for just a fiver a month).

Will switch our mortgage today to a new fixed deal for two years. Staying with the same bank but the deal is better than what we pay now. Also want to fix for two years and that gives us a dead line to think about what we want to do- extend or move. AND I will now start overpaying the mortgage :T. Not much I guess but every little helps.

Have a nice day
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 756
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Goood morning turtles,

July got off to a good start yesterday. I didn't spend a penny but for my expenses as planned. I have submitted my expense sheet this morning & I am just waiting for it to be put in my account. I am hoping that if it goes in before next Wednesday I can put it towards taking the kids to the beach for the day and possible getting us all a bag of chips :)

I have been trying to make a real effort to use things up & so yesterday for lunch I did a bit of a buffet with left over picnic food. Tonight for dinner is sausage casserole with left over BBQ sausages and tomorrow will be something with ham. probably toasties or something. We have £160 to spend on food this month, which is a bit tighter than I would like, doable though if I make the most of what I have in.

Took the boys to the park after tea last night for half an hour & i have promised it they are good I will do the same tonight. They had played int he garden all day & seemed happy enough to potter but it makes me feel like I have done something with them and its free soo....:D English Heritage membership expires this month :( we have definitely had our monies worth but we are not renewing yet as we are busy through August & I doubt I will use it as much in the colder months, I might as well wait until I am ready to go somewhere.

Went running again last night, same tonight. I hate it, but I am always chuffed once I have done it!

Grateful for - sitting in the garden, sunbathing & reading, a few strawberries popping up in our hanging baskets & for my boys being good as gold this morning :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure