Brexit discussions

Options

Comments

• cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi folks

We're considering placing a ban on all discussion about Brexit.

It would be a shame to do this. We feel many of you are able to discuss the topic in a friendly manner.

However, my team is receiving too many reports about posts that are

a) rude about another forum member
    b) argumentative
    c) disagreement
    d) opinionated
    e) don't break our rules.

Please help my team out by being considerate of other forum members and not reporting posts simply because you disagree with what's being said.

Thank you

Andrea

Could I ask whether there has been a ban imposed for discussions about religion, or at least the Muslim religion - in a non offensive context of course?
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 5:29PM
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I was wondering something similar - whether posts could be automatically self-moderated using an upvoting/downvoting system - if a post gets too high a proportion of downvotes then it is taken out.
    Again let's be honest. The forum has largely got a base well to the more mature age and right of the background population. (A post that fabricates things about me can attract lots of thanks... a correction to it gets little attention). All you'll end up with is exacerbating that as downvotes take out dissenting voices. Not that it would alter much the general downward trend anyway. There is a distinct lack of meaningful opinions on the forum. There's as much fantasy as political reality. There are really useful parts of the site.. I've used it just in the last few hours to change banking and in a few days savings accounts. But I'm not going to pretend this section of it is of any serious value and I cannot imagine in the MSE towers admin staff are thinking much different..
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    Andrea

Could I ask whether there has been a ban imposed for discussions about religion, or at least the Muslim religion - in a non offensive context of course?

Well, good luck with that. Rather discourteously (IMO :D ) MSE Andrea has not felt it appropriate to reply to my questions at posts 15 or 40.

Such manners! ;)

WR
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Again let's be honest. The forum has largely got a base well to the more mature age and right of the background population. (A post that fabricates things about me can attract lots of thanks... a correction to it gets little attention). All you'll end up with is exacerbating that as downvotes take out dissenting voices. Not that it would alter much the general downward trend anyway. There is a distinct lack of meaningful opinions on the forum. There's as much fantasy as political reality. There are really useful parts of the site.. I've used it just in the last few hours to change banking and in a few days savings accounts. But I'm not going to pretend this section of it is of any serious value and I cannot imagine in the MSE towers admin staff are thinking much different..

What are meaningful opinions though? Just the ones that you agree with?
    Polite argument is dissent, that is the fun part. Sometimes playing devil's advocate too, just because you can. What can you learn from anyone who thinks exactly the same as you?

DT is not a high-brow forum for intellectuals, it's for everyone. It's not (imo) for taking yourself too seriously in all the discussions.
    As for the make-up of the posters, mature in age maybe, not always mature in outlook or views.
  • kpwll
    Options
    Originally Posted by Muttleythefrog

as downvotes take out dissenting voices

This was not meant to be against opposing views but personal insults and causing offence etc
  • Muttleythefrog
    Options
    kpwll wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Muttleythefrog

as downvotes take out dissenting voices

This was not meant to be against opposing views but personal insults and causing offence etc

Well.... in all my years here the only posts I've ever been pulled about were jokes or stories I told... nothing was ever directed at a member or even group of members. I think you might be surprised what gets reported as offensive...! Quite clearly people are targeted.. not their posts... and that's because credence is given to any report. Subjects are silenced... members are silenced... by underhand tactics learned from what happens... experience.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Muttleythefrog
    edited 19 June 2018 at 6:15PM
    Options
    What are meaningful opinions though? Just the ones that you agree with?
    Polite argument is dissent, that is the fun part. Sometimes playing devil's advocate too, just because you can. What can you learn from anyone who thinks exactly the same as you?

DT is not a high-brow forum for intellectuals, it's for everyone. It's not (imo) for taking yourself too seriously in all the discussions.
    As for the make-up of the posters, mature in age maybe, not always mature in outlook or views.
    If everyone had the view of me I wouldn't come here at all... my background is of facing opposing views.. in formal debates as well as in bringing political change. I've also trained people for public debate... so playing devil's advocate comes so naturally to me that my wife thinks I'm always playing it when actually I'm probably not..lol.

But I would say there is not really any serious debate here now... there's just some extremely lazy stereotyping and views that are as predictable as the sun coming up. A few posters are worth listening to.. some I agree with.. some I won't. So yes I definitely agree with the last paragraph. Unfortunately though many posters do take themselves too seriously... despite my efforts to convert them to the wonders of self ridicule..lol
  • kpwll
    Options
    Muttley, DT would be a much less colourful place without posters like you, Ted, Tommix and Cepheus, for example.

I may not always agree or disagree with any of you but you certainly spice up debate :)
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Muttley, DT would be a much less colourful place without posters like you, Ted, Tommix and Cepheus, for example.

I may not always agree or disagree with any of you but you certainly spice up debate :)
    I agree with some posters on some issues, but can disagree with those same posters on other issues. All part of the rich tapestry of life.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • davidwood681
    Options
    Will the admins be also banning all discussions about Scottish independence?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure