Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• roachy
    roachy Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I just thought I'd pop in here to give a run down of my experience when I tried to get broadband through EE last time it was offered here. Id just moved into a new flat and was about to book in BT when I saw the offer so "perfect timing" thought I.
    As my flat address (I am in "A") wasn't on the website I rang EE to set up the connection, checking that I was still able to claim the Amazon voucher.
    My details were taken and I was given a date for the engineer to come around.
    3 days before the engineer was due, the guy in the flat downstairs (not "A") knocked to say that he was getting my post and had the router delivered from EE. I obviously rang to say they had my address wrong.
    EE cancelled the installation (more on this later) and rebooked for 10 working days hence, they also gave me the installation free (£60...keep a note of the monneysaving score).
    10 working days passed and the engineer called around and hooked me up. Unfortunately he couldn't get a signal from the exchange and couldn't understand why, as the signal to the cabinet was fine. I called EE who said that it could take up to 2 days as I was a different kind of installation because I had originally cancelled the first installation. I pointed out their mistake but thought "ive been waiting the best part of a month, 2 days wont hurt".
    3 days passed and still no broadband so I called EE again. The person in the call centre couldn't tell me why the broadband wasn't on or when I would get it ,so I lost my rag and told them I wanted to cancel as I hadn't received the service I was paying for (oh1 forgot to mention I'd paid up front for the supersaver line rental).
    The call centre put me through to the cancellation team who couldnt do enough for me. They said that there had been a technical problem between EE and BT and EE would need to re-order the connection at the exchange. This would take another 10 working days but if I was prepared to wait they would give me 3 months line rental and broadband free (£51 according to my bill).
    10 working days later, yep you guessed it , no broadband. I rang EE again and went straight through to the cancellation team (option 3 IIRC, make a note if you are tempted) as I was at the end of my tether . I had moved into a new flat, and as my job is "on site" rather than in front of a computer , I need the internet at home to do all the stuff one needs to sort out in a new flat. It was now 6 weeks since I had first ordered the installation.
    This time the guy , apologetic as always said that they still had a problem but this time he would personally shepherd my "expedited connection" through and it would only take 5-6 working days. This was just before the last bank holiday, and as it would take longer than that to book in BT I agreed to this one last chance. EE as expected screwed it up.
    I booked a BT broadband installation and got onto trying to cancel EE. Now, I am on EE for my mobile so I can call for free.
    Over the course of 2 days being switched between people, being left on hold while someone went for info so long I ended back up in the hold cue, being hung up on etc ect, I actually went through 2 full phone charges, not on a smart phone but on an old nokia 5511.
    Finally I got through to somebody who agreed to cancel the contract but not before she spent 5 minutes trying to talk me out of it, finally almost yelling at me "with all the discounts we are giving you, you are basically getting the broadband for free! I cant believe people like you!". I pointed out that even for free I wasnt actually getting the service. This person agreed to take the cancellation, went through some small print and said that she had cancelled the contract. I asked to go through to the billing dept to find out when I'd get my money back and was put on hold.
    I was left on hold so long that I ended up back at the beginning of the queue process and had to explain the situation again. The guy I spoke to said "erm, there seems to be a bit of a problem, your contract has not actually been cancelled and there are no notes of any conversation where you have asked to cancel". Yep, they are "scored" on how many people they get to agree not to cancel and seem happy to lie to customers when they want to cancel. This final guy did cancel the contract finally.
    So, I was due to pay £168 over the year. I got the instal for free , -3 months free on my line rental, -£120 amazon voucher (which the last person I spoke to told me that I wouldnt have gotten anyway because I had cancelled at the beginning of the process!) and the free virus protection was going to save me about £40 on my renewal which is due now.
    I worked out that EE would actually be paying me £20-£30 to take their broadband, but know what? Its still not worth the money.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i contacted tt customer services and told them i wasnt renewing my contract (expires on 17th and vlr on 2nd november )they only offered me my current deal if i paid vlr there and then.I said no.then tried the online chat nothing offered and was told to contact them on 17th.
    Now have emailed them as theres only a few days left for the ee deal.
    has anyone a phone number for retensions
  • fossman
    fossman Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Just got off the phone to Talk Talk, the best they could offer me was a discount of £2.50 a month off the Broadband package that includes evening and weekend calls.

To be honest I was having trouble understanding what the woman was saying as she was speaking so fast.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858 :)
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
  • stevenpc
    Options
    fossman wrote: »
    Just got off the phone to Talk Talk, the best they could offer me was a discount of £2.50 a month off the Broadband package that includes evening and weekend calls.

To be honest I was having trouble understanding what the woman was saying as she was speaking so fast.

i have the same problem understanding them i also think they have a problem understanding me maybe its because i have an english accent.
    I will give it one more go tomorrow.the most offered to me was a £40 credit.its looking like i may go to ee with the offer availlable only till monday taking into account the vouchers it comes to £4 a month.
  • familyguy12
    Options
    Hi all,

Moving to a flat in Ealing, West London in the next few days.

Our last BB connection was around the 30mb mark.

From checking uswitch, looks as if we can choose from almost all of the usual suspects provider wise.

They all seem to be advertising very cheap high speed packages but of course then you see the " + £15.95 per month line rental" in small print. :(

Can anyone please suggest which provider might be the best value for money in terms of speed, reliability and cheapest monthly package?

Or someone who offers free line rental etc?
  • fossman
    fossman Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    stevenpc wrote: »
    i have the same problem understanding them i also think they have a problem understanding me maybe its because i have an english accent.
    I will give it one more go tomorrow.the most offered to me was a £40 credit.its looking like i may go to ee with the offer availlable only till monday taking into account the vouchers it comes to £4 a month.

Just got off the phone to them now and have been given a £110 credit to my account (£40 was to match EE's value line rental and £70 as a loyalty credit).

It works out at £8.67 a month which I am happy with as I have never had a problem with the service and didn't really want to switch.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858 :)
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
  • stevenpc
    Options
    fossman wrote: »
    Just got off the phone to them now and have been given a £110 credit to my account (£40 was to match EE's value line rental and £70 as a loyalty credit).

It works out at £8.67 a month which I am happy with as I have never had a problem with the service and didn't really want to switch.

hi can you give some details of your package
  • stevenpc
    Options
    phoned just after 0930 still awaiting promised call back to see what they offer.
  • stevenpc
    Options
    well just came off the phone have accepted the deal works out at my paying
    £2.25 a month after paying vlr £172.20 deal includes evening/w/e calls tv box that i dont really need free installation and delevery new router line upgrade and £120 love to shop vouchers.
  • stevenpc
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I am guessing you are a new customer, was that ASDL or Fibre?

no not a new customer been with them about 4years.
    regarding the line upgrade im already getting on average 14.5 download speed they are or at least say they will increase the settings by 5% im on llu.
    Couldnt talk them out of the tv box ive already got 3 sat receivers
    and 2 sat dishes and about 7000 chans availlable to me more if i wanted them probable never take the tv box out of the box.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback