Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• blahblahdoh
    Options
    i rang BT to cancel last week and was paying 16 pounds line rental and 17 pounds for unlimited broadband.came away with 15.00 line rental and 6 pounds unlimited broadband, not fibre but I'm quite happy with the normal speed broadband and the bt service---- a nice saving

Hard to understand why you are happy giving £21 a month to BT when there are such great deals available. Have you not read the MSE guide or the various posts in this thread? Seems like you are paying far more than necessary and would be better off switching. Even discounting all the cashback, I'm only paying £15.40 per month. The cashback brings it close to zero. Not too late to change your mind! :D

I switched from Plusnet to Sky today and it was easy - no engineer visit, just plugged in the hub and typed in the password. Worked first time. Did some speed tests and Sky seems to be slightly quicker for downloads and much faster for uploads, in my area.
  • Nobleman
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    The £250 offer is on the Quidco page, but BT's site only offers a £75 Sainsbury voucher for this (non-fibre) package.

Also, I fear that the OP is basing the maths on 12 months at £13, but the webpage states that it's £13 for 6 months then the rest at £21.

At the time it was only a 12 month contract and what with the £150 Sainsburys gift card and £250 Quidco cashback was a cracking deal, which I posted myself. Now with the extended contract and reduced gift card, not so good.
  • seaweed5254
    Options
    Hi I was with O2 before it was moved to SKY last year. I am on broadband only and i was given a monthly charge of £7.50. I didn't realize that my contract has finished this month as i have not received any renewal notices, etc as i had before with O2. I just saw that they have charged my £15.00 - The additional £2.50 as a supplement for not having SKY TV and £7.50 as a supplement for not having SKY talk.
    I phoned the customer service and it seems she wasn't bothered that i'd like to cancel. The lady said that they really do not send out any notices, as a rule. (seems strange for me). she didn't give any more explanation and was a bit short. I was not happy with their service as well anyway as i have experienced so many times that the line was just suddenly cut off, intermittently.
    I have paid BT's annual line rental and it is good up to November. I now would like to know if i can now get broadband + line rental even if i still have 2 months of line rental with BT ?

thanks !
  • jamiewakeham
    jamiewakeham Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2014 at 9:43AM
    Options
    This is probably being greedy - but has anyone tried to get the EE £100 Amazon voucher whilst simultaneously tracking with TopCashBack? If they both worked, they'd end up paying me £20 for 12 months of broadband and line rental...

Slightly concerned that trying both at the same time might mean that neither came off, though, which would be annoying.

Edit: no need. When it came to giving me the MAC code, TalkTalk rolled over and gave me a deal that beat the cost of EE including the £100 voucher. I am willing to forgo the chance of the £80 cashback in return for not having to change providers and reprogram every bloody device in the house to a new router!
  • Beancounter
    Options
    I got an offer in the post from EE offering to pay any disconnection fee from your old provider if there was still a part term on the contract left.

As my contract ends on November 1th does anyone know if I could get the Amazon voucher and be eligible for the fee refund too?
  • fr3dy77
    Options
    I'm so happy that I found better deal than MSE so here is the details.

My contract with talk-talk home broadband is going to expire in the next 2 days and I was very attracted to EE home broadband deal which only pays £56 for the whole year (2.5 per month x 12 + 132 one off line rental, pay in advance - 106 tcb cashback with 5% extra for amazon voucher). With a bit of worries that EE broadband is far worse than talk-talk based on the feedback and comments on EE deals in HUKD.

Rang up Talk-talk to terminate the contract and they give me the petty deals like £1.92/month speedy payment (have to login monthly to pay manually within 24hours instead of direct debit, which is a big hassle) and £10 discount for the line rental (one off for 1 year) but their line rental is £172 (if you pay in advance for the whole year). Rejected the deal, explaining the deals that I found above and they said will arrange special deal for me and call me back today.

Five minutes later, someone else from Talk-talk called me and give me this amazing offer:
    2.25/month + 0 line rental for the whole year (which is AMAZING remembering the line rental is the most expensive component for the home broadband) + unlimited evening and weekend calls + free uview box, basically Essential TV package (as an extra!), which can be used to record and rewind TV shows. All of that only for £27 for the whole year!!

I don't think PlusNet and EE can top that and of course I accept that deal. So its worth to check with talk2 before you leave.

NOTE:
    - I know some areas are getting bad connection but I don't think it can be generalised as I used talk-talk for more than 2 years now and it was excellent
    - the free line rental will be credited into your account in 24 hours
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I was with O2 before it was moved to SKY last year. I am on broadband only and i was given a monthly charge of £7.50. I didn't realize that my contract has finished this month as i have not received any renewal notices, etc as i had before with O2. I just saw that they have charged my £15.00 - The additional £2.50 as a supplement for not having SKY TV and £7.50 as a supplement for not having SKY talk.
    I phoned the customer service and it seems she wasn't bothered that i'd like to cancel. The lady said that they really do not send out any notices, as a rule. (seems strange for me). she didn't give any more explanation and was a bit short. I was not happy with their service as well anyway as i have experienced so many times that the line was just suddenly cut off, intermittently.
    I have paid BT's annual line rental and it is good up to November. I now would like to know if i can now get broadband + line rental even if i still have 2 months of line rental with BT ?

thanks !

That deal from BT seems pretty good, £21 a month for telephone and BB plus BT sport app and £25 Sainsbury voucher (involves upfront telephone payment like you are doing now).
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • roadtorecovery
    Options
    Can anyone help? Signed up to mse blagged deal with sky broadband as advertised in email alert of 2 september.i received my 100 m and s voucher. Anyone know how I claim the additional 94 voucher as ive received no email about this. Also deal on cheap broadband thread gone so cant look up. M and s voucher had to be claimed within 3 months.
  • vonBlanko
    vonBlanko Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    fr3dy77 wrote: »
    I'm so happy that I found better deal than MSE so here is the details.

My contract with talk-talk home broadband is going to expire in the next 2 days and I was very attracted to EE home broadband deal which only pays £56 for the whole year (2.5 per month x 12 + 132 one off line rental, pay in advance - 106 tcb cashback with 5% extra for amazon voucher). With a bit of worries that EE broadband is far worse than talk-talk based on the feedback and comments on EE deals in HUKD.

Rang up Talk-talk to terminate the contract and they give me the petty deals like £1.92/month speedy payment (have to login monthly to pay manually within 24hours instead of direct debit, which is a big hassle) and £10 discount for the line rental (one off for 1 year) but their line rental is £172 (if you pay in advance for the whole year). Rejected the deal, explaining the deals that I found above and they said will arrange special deal for me and call me back today.

Five minutes later, someone else from Talk-talk called me and give me this amazing offer:
    2.25/month + 0 line rental for the whole year (which is AMAZING remembering the line rental is the most expensive component for the home broadband) + unlimited evening and weekend calls + free uview box, basically Essential TV package (as an extra!), which can be used to record and rewind TV shows. All of that only for £27 for the whole year!!

I don't think PlusNet and EE can top that and of course I accept that deal. So its worth to check with talk2 before you leave.

NOTE:
    - I know some areas are getting bad connection but I don't think it can be generalized as I used talk-talk for more than 2 years now and it was excellent
    - the free line rental will be credited into your account in 24 hours

I'm in the process of haggling with Talk Talk, after signing up for the EE deal + Amazon voucher. You seem to have gotten a better package, fr3dy77, than we were offered - I'm not surprised you bit their hand off. Kudos!

I believe we were at 8.50 a month, for the Essentials package, with waived line rental, and on a 12 month contract. At least that was my understanding, as I didn't take the call. I assume the TV box was in the package, but I'd like to get it on record before we sign off on it.

The 2.25/ a month is a great deal, good job, sir. Money saving, indeed.

I suppose I'll use this as a baseline to see if I can drive down the fellow on the other end of the phone tomorrow. *gameface*

My thought is about in 12 months if I try switch to someone else... will we be charged for the box? Hmm.
  • bribri_2
    bribri_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anybody had any issues that apparently Talk Talk are not on the BT open reach network, unlike EE and PlusNet so it can be difficult or with a cost to rejoin one of those providers?

Is that true?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure