PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Is now trying to recall the name of that French brand of wellie boots - as I believe they are the only "name" brand that is still produced in original country and made in normal quality rather than cheapskate quality (rather than cheapie copies made in "usual suspect countries").

Yep...I've got Hunters boots - but I came to suspect subsequently they arent actually "really" made by Hunters (ie British firm) any longer.:cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 July 2018 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Sadly these days Hunters are made in China.....there goes another british classic!

We first found the CAT in early 1978 when they had been running for less than a year (I think), I was about 12 weeks pregnant and having a horrid time feeling sick but it was such a magical and 'us' place that I had a whole day so absorbed in being eco that I didn't feel ill, until we got back in the car to drive away at least!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    floss I have no idea of cost, this house is built eco. PV and solar thermal, pellet stove, very few and tiny radiators, triple glazing, rainwater harvesting. Costs pa for ch and all electricity 260 + 340 =£600. I get back almost £2000 in fit and rhi. Yes I never agreed with that but it was offered so I accepted

Simple solar thermal from water in a thick black bag laid on a table in the sun, then hung in a tree for a hot shower
    Strikes me that most people on here are glass half full people ie looking on the bright side. Shame about the half empty ones, must have an awful miserable depressing life, always looking for the worst. Energy takers not givers
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love the concept of passive solar gain.

Take a large brown glass container. Demi john is perfect. Fill with water, leave in the sun all day. Enough hot water to wash supper things or have a wash.

Free hot water, no expensive installation costs. :D
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That reminds me that i have a camping shower. Black bag that you hang in a tree, trouble is that in the morning the water is cold so when I wanted it at the festival it was pretty hopeless. But just as a means to get some hot water for washing up, it's probably perfect..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love the concept of passive solar gain.

I got all excited, read massive Solar GIN.... :rotfl:

I'll go back to being an interested observer :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Solar gin......:rotfl: I'll drink to that. Gin is my favourite tipple.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I too read " solar Gin ". I think I'd better get my eyesight checked as part of my prepping :rotfl:
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I thought this might be helpful to some

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/communication-preparing-withdrawal-brexit-preparedness.pdf

Wouldn!!!8217;t it be handy if our own government provided us some kind of similar documentation
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Aigle are the French equivalent of Hunters as far as I can see. If you are on holiday in France you sometimes see them in French Hypermarkets especially in coastal areas - sailing types wear them

Le Chameau are the Rolls Royce of wellies as they are insulated as well
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback