PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    VJsmum I think the reason there might be a shortage of dairy products if there is is that shops can buy cheaper from elsewhere so our farmers have stopped producing as much. So the easy answer is to encourage our farmers to ramp up production. I try to buy British produce as much as possible anyway to cutback on airmiles. It’s not always possible on a fixed income but I feel it’s ridiculous buying food that travelled thousands of miles when you can buy it locally.

If possible can we now try to get back to prepping and leave the politics alone. We aren’t all going to agree on the politics bit but we can help and support each other.
    Thanks
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If there is the chance of rationing in the short term I'd really be guided by what was available in 1939 as a weekly ration, there are many more of us in the population now and I think, less farmers producing less of what we eat for several reasons. If I stock pile it will be tinned meat and fish because usually it has a good long best before date, dried milk, some sugar but we don't use much in general so I'd cater for preserving when there was produce available, cans of fruit and veg but not much dried as I've had pantry beetle before and once moths in all my dry stores which was absolutely vile. Tea and coffee are another thing I'd get in good quantity and cleaning stuffs, those were in short supply in wartime, soap and shampoo, toothpaste, and some over the counter medications like anti histamines, cold cure, cough medicine, pain killers but it's all on my prepping list anyway.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fuddle I just remembered that my @ldi has spelt flour on offer at £1.30-ish...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I always like to make sure the cupboards are well stocked with the basics and this thread has really encouraged me to ramp it up a bit. I have two little ones and I refuse to be complacent and not be prepared. Don't know if it's any help to you all but I placed an order for sainsburys online as they are offering £18 off a £60 spend for new customers. Since placing the order they have sent me 2 voucher codes for £12 off when you spend £40. I have used this as an excuse to stock up. I have ordered the odd fresh bit such as milk and bread but in the main it has been stuff like tins of chopped tomatoes, corned beef, pasta and porridge oats. Even better it means I don't have to lug heavy stuff back from the shops.
    Most importantly for us personally our 5 year mortgage fix ends next June so going to try and get it fixed in Jan or Feb if we can.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ok. Down to business.....

What tinned meats do people recommend. For tinned fish I could probably go with sardines, tuna and salmon but haven't a clue about tinned meats. Last time I bought corned beef I found it incredibly salty.....can't remember which brand I bought.

With having a freezer I've never bothered much with tinned goods but it might be an idea to get a few in.

Going to read up about dehydrators.....again something I've never considered before but might be worth a try.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Floss, thanks ;):D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I keep corned beef, ham, Kielbasa sausage meat in jars from Tesco's Polish section, jars of bokwurst and frankfurters usually from the pound shops, and a few tins of stewed steak which make a nice instant pie with mash or the base for a stew with tinned veg. Fish I keep tuna, salmon, pilchards in tomato sauce.

I've found of late that PEK chopped pork doesn't keep to the length of it's best before date and have had to throw away several 'blown' tins recently.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks MRs LW. I have decided to keep a section in my notebook, with a to do and to buy list.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It's a report by 3 uni professors MrsL. They already did one a year ago and this is a follow up saying that nothing at all has been done since last year. Here's the main bit:

He said that 30% of Britain’s food supply comes directly from EU countries and a further 11% via deals done by the EU with other countries.
    “Is rationing possible? Well, if we are cut off from 41% of our food that might be one of the things that has to be done,” he told The National.
    Lang, a professor of food policy at City University, London, said preparations were better ahead of rationing being introduced during the Second World War.
    “Beveridge was brought back in 1936 and started making preparations, but there are no preparations for this at all,” he said. “What we are seeing is chaotic last-minute planning. It is humiliating, frankly.”
    Lang added that an adequate supply of fruit and vegetables was a particular worry.
    “Britain does not produce enough of its own fruit and vegetables,” he said. “We consume about nine and half billion tonnes of fruit and vegetables every year, 8.1 billion of that comes from across the Channel.”
    Lang said that in order to avoid bread rationing, farmers would have to stop feeding wheat to cattle, so the supply could instead be used for bread supplies.
    He said: “If we stop feeding wheat to cattle, we should have enough bread.”
    Lang added: “I think the British public should start getting very stroppy with their MPs for allowing this chaos to happen. I am a public health expert. Does the Government have a responsibility for ensuring its people are fed? Well, the answer is it does under UN health declarations.”
    Asked if people would not get enough food post Brexit, Lang said: “Very, very quickly, we could be heading to that situation. There are people hungry in Britain already, there is malnourishment already, and severe inequalities. The Government’s resilience planning is complacent. You will see that in my report on Monday.”

Lang’s report comes a year after his major study warned on the adverse impact on food supply and prices of even a soft Brexit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks MAR interesting indeed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family