PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've jobs down here in Hampshire and houses sell fairly readily but in their wisdom the local council under pressure from the government are allowing the building of 800 new homes in the village. We're already finding it difficult to get out on to the main road about a mile away in the mornings, the tail back is about 10 minutes to get to the junction, the doctors surgery, NHS dental list and the local school are already full and the local shops have at any time of day queues back from the checkout points. We are at capacity and there's no plan to add to amenities, just build more homes and that's going to become a problem. I'm lucky we're moving and feel sad for those who can't! The houses aren't technically going on agricultural land, they've already built on the strawberry fields that were the predominant crop grown here, what they are building on is the land that used to have greenhouses on acres of them that fell into disuse because they couldn't survive on what they got for the crops they grew when we joined the EU and got peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers etc. in from Spain and Holland. The owners went out of business but because they lived in the house attached to the smallholdings/nurseries they didn't sell the land. I think it's short sighted policy to build on land that may have been brought back to it's original use after Brexit!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The houses aren't technically going on agricultural land, they've already built on the strawberry fields that were the predominant crop grown here, what they are building on is the land that used to have greenhouses on acres of them that fell into disuse because they couldn't survive on what they got for the crops they grew when we joined the EU and got peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers etc. in from Spain and Holland.!

OT, I think I know where you are referring to, we used to go strawberry PYO over there, along with hundreds of others. :)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2018 at 4:55PM
    Options
    I'm living 200 miles from my place of birth/where I grew up. I don't see a problem with people moving and I don't think an area belongs to people who just happened to be born there. I bought my house from a local and they were happy enough to take the money.

I think employment opportunities would even out regional differences.

Enviable if one is a person that is happy to live somewhere else. Not enviable for those who don't feel the same way as yourself (ie don't wish to move - but can't afford not to)>

The "regional differences" I meant are of a more "cultural" variety - not regional differences in pay (though that might also apply).

Eg If someone has been used to buying this/to doing that/to that way of thinking/etc/etc - and trying to continue buying this/doing that/thinking the same way/etc/etc and a "critical mass" of enough people from different area/s are there now = the new area will need to adapt to them.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do not think Brexit should ever result in rationing and shortages. That is outrageous. But in the spirit of the thread I have bought a few tins of corned beef and steak, tuna, salmon, and pasta and so on.

Just a few little bits and will do so every week, not too much just an extra non perishable here and there.

I know the politics of this is not welcome here, but honestly how can anyone admire the new Project Fear that appears to be coming down the tracks. You can be assured that the Beluga Caviar will not be in short supply for the people who are telling us this.

I am totally disillusioned that a matter of principle could result in warning people of shortages. Totally unnecessary.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    None of have a scrying glass to the future and can only make a guess at what might happen given the information we currently have. It only seems like sense to lay in a few supplies of things that you know you'll use anyway if things don't pan out as the fear is they might , if we don't have problems it will help with the inevitable price rises that will come (that's just commerce) by letting you have a little more housekeeping to stretch each week until they're gone and if we DO have problems you have a nice little bank of food to keep you and yours fed and warm while the situation sorts itself out.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Enviable if one is a person that is happy to live somewhere else. Not enviable for those who don't feel the same way as yourself (ie don't wish to move - but can't afford not to)>

The "regional differences" I meant are of a more "cultural" variety - not regional differences in pay (though that might also apply).

Eg If someone has been used to buying this/to doing that/to that way of thinking/etc/etc - and trying to continue buying this/doing that/thinking the same way/etc/etc and a "critical mass" of enough people from different area/s are there now = the new area will need to adapt to them.

I haven't seen any cultural differences. I live on the edge of a small town rather than in a big city but I used the same shops e.g. Sainsburys, M&S, Debenhams, Argos etc so I can buy exactly the same things. I'm not sure what sort of differences you would find? Sometimes the locals use a different word to me but that isn't much of a problem.

House prices aren't very different so that hasn't been a factor.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Melanzana, the suggestion that we might need to resort to rationing was put forward by a left leaning academic rather than one of the global elite.

And it's rubbish. The French will gloat for a week if there is disruption in Dover and then they will have to face the wrath of their own producers.

Interesting article in the Daily Telegraph by Janet Daley. She can normally be relied upon to get things wrong but you know the saying - any clock is right twice a day. Anyway her point is that the EU Commission are suddenly warning that the EU needs to prepare for No Deal They may be lining themselves up to say to the EU producers whose ability to sell into a major market is suddenly disrupted, that they had to defend the Four Freedoms

Good luck with that
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • WeegieWumman
    Options
    What will Brexit bring to the UK? Hopefully a return to common sense!

Once the politicians and the media stop trying to frighten us to death everything should settle down.
    We will automatically revert to the WTO regulations. The world is full of nations (including some of the European countries) who are anxious to buy and sell goods.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been following but haven't posted.

As others have said, we don't know what happen. I'm sure some-one will shout at me for saying this but in some ways I think some good may come from this.
    In the area I live, we regularly hear the fruit growers and farmers saying when we leave next year the crops will rot in the fields as they won't have the eu workers they need.
    My area is classed as a deprived area with above average unemployment. So why aren't our people working?
    We will need all the food our farmers produce, we can't afford to let it waste.
    We should stop wasting food, just because a carrot isn't the right shape doesn't mean it isn't good. So much food is ploughed back into the ground. We may be OS but many people buy too much food and waste it, maybe higher prices will make us buy what we need.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Two great posts WW and SO! Well the DWP is good at bullying and ordering people around- so they can get the job centres to send the unemployed to the farms to work. It would do the younger ones good, make them fit & healthy - but the farmers would have to pay a decent wage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback