PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    For living off grid and all sorts of most interesting things I throw into the melting pot THE CENTRE FOR ALTERNATIVE TECHNOLOGY which is based in a disused slate quarry in Wales and is the source of all things ecological including books, courses, useful stuff and above all their expertise. T's a fantastic place and they have books and ideas for solar everything! Fuds how would a solar hot water system suit you? you could have it without having to have solar panels on the roof too and you could find some solar lights to charge up in daylight during the day and give you free light at night, much cheaper than solar panels!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Off to go see if there's a website Lyn. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 July 2018 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Certainly is and it's a fantastic place to visit too!

Anyone like to share recipes for their favourite one using porridge oats, potatoes, chick peas, root veg, pulses, any of the things we would have in store as a core supply? That way we all get variety and new ideas?

Potato Floddies (a wartime recipe useful for any meal)

A large potato per person, grated (no need to peel just wash)
    flour
    pepper
    mixed herbs
    a little oil to cook the floddies

Grate the potatoes into a large bowl and add enough flour to coat and leave the potato with a batter like look. Add in some pepper and a pinch (to taste) of mixed herbs. Cover the base of a heavy frying pan with a little oil (any) and add 1 potaotes worth of the mix, spread it evenly across the pan so it looks like a pancake and cook until the underside is browned and done, flip over or put a plate on top of the pan, turn upside down so the floddie drops onto the plate and replace uncooked side down in the pan. Cook until the second side is brown and the potato in the middle is cooked (test with a knife). You can eat them as they are with ketchup or brown sauce, they make a nice filling cold weather breakfast, or you can use them as a base and make a pizza, cook fried egg and baked beans and serve those up on top, you can add in some onion to the uncooked mix, you can use them instead of rice for a curry or instead of tortillas for a chilli. Useful recipe and very cheap and easy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is no obligation to read a thread you fundamentally disagree with, there is room for all opinions and attitudes, no one is right, no one is wrong but we all have an equal voice here, what is it about bramble leaf tea that gets folks hot under the collar anyway? it seems such an innocuous thing to focus on in the bigger picture.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 July 2018 at 4:47PM
    Options
    I have no preps right now but just as soon as I can move, then I am ordering my tall beko freezer for the garage. It will be the perfect place to store consumables beloved by vermin. I am thinking that will be november, just in time. My many herbs and potions will be safe in kilners and they are all fully labelled, coughs, sore throat etc. I am getting my clearview fire and will keep a good stock of smokeless fuel and will always have a simmering kettle or casserole on top

I want to add to the PV debate. I have PV and solar thermal and in my view solar thermal is far and away the best value for money, the water in my tank is always hot, even in winter it hardly goes below 35. PV on the other hand costs such a lot and is quite a minefield. The energy produced would need to be stored at home via a bank of expensive batteries. Generally it is sent back to the grid. I would only consider it again if I would use it over 25 years but in that time, it would need repairs and is likely that the charge controller would need replacing at least twice. I have these PV panels on the roof over my top floor and am always conscious of having EM radiation at least during the day, when photons excite electrons in silicon
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    ...As for those who say Remainers are undemocratic, consider this...

100 friends arrange a dinner dance party at a venue which was voted for by 52 of the 100 people. Both venues promised certain things as part of the package.
    Later, they find out that the dinner is actually riddled with salmonella, the dance music is the telly tubbies theme on repeat and the venue is actually a shed. There are no spoons for the gruel and the shed roof has holes in and there are no toilets.

Do they stick by the vote because democracy says 52 people voted for it? Or do they look at this new info and make an informed choice, potentially changing their minds?

Perhaps they need to undertake better research & preparation...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dinner dance? no thanks walk in the country yes please, being in a room with 100 people not a chance!
  • Floss
    Options
    DS2 owns a flat in an eco building in Leeds - no gas, grey water recycling, ground source heat, solar & wind power. He has tiny utility bills that are mainly the annual service & maintenance charges for the whole block.
  • Floss
    Options
    Kittie what sort of cost is a solar thermal system? We live on the NW coast, facing E/W front /back so plenty of sunshine on both sides of the roof...
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe the 52 realised that the venue voted for offered up something hopeful, exceeding what they already had, could see past the end of their own noses and went with hopes that something different could come out of the experience.

Perish the thought that the thread could actually move on with both sides getting along, chatting OS based ideals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure