Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 190

New Post Advanced Search

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 486K views

Replies

• DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farway wrote: »
    abolish VAT & replace with new defined tax

And where in the parliamentary schedule (as they try to find a way to leave Europe or agree on how not to, too much) they will manage to find a replacement for this vital revenue stream and all the attendant legislation? They'll need to all be on the white powders, and that has never been a good basis for sound judgement.

Plus the accountants will be watching them like hungry buzzards, and the press space when it come to My Honorable Friend trying to identify a luxury will be barely breathing room only....

I'm actually not wholly convinced HMRC have shocking powers (that merger saw some very juicy perks slide & the coppers ease off their jealousy, plus if you see who's been promised a payrise it isn't the tax collectors but the police nurses & teachers) but miword the journalists get some Far Too Easy headlines as various large household names do not stump up all they could whilst benefiting from a largely literate mostly healthy workforce.

I'd much rather pay an extra penny in the pound for good health & education but while the very-comfortably-off-thank-you are writing the rules and/or listening to the tax advisers suggesting useful loopholes that penny will be wasted.

Aye well. I voted, now I'm watching to see what they get up to. And not holding my breath.
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p There's never been an easier time to commit tax fraud as HMRC have laid off soooo many staff and closed lots of offices. One of my pals was a casualty when his compliance department (£1 million tax collected per year per member of staff) was deemed to be superfluous to requirements. There's also a deficiency of fraud investigators with DWP, if anyone needs to know that. The grubbyment isn't phased about getting/ keeping the spondulicks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for reasons that passeth All Understanding HMRC apparently plan to cover the entire country with 13 offices.

Says she planning a popup cafe in the Lakes, another likewise near the welsh coast (nicely between Liverpool & Swansea) & of course now unit alcohol pricing has settled in in Scotland, an off-licence in Carlisle. (Several offspring, very useful!) As long as I change legal entity as soon as the google street view car has been, and trade 90% in cash, I may be able to run rings around HMRC.

Mind if this we're leaving the EU bit goes through, I think that plan will either plough on but the experienced staff will have long been shunted to whatever's minding the borders, or be shelved much to the amusment of Private Eye et alia who have been saying for Years it's a bad idea.
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was I thinking?
    Yes, for financial reasons [STRIKE]that passeth All Understanding[/STRIKE] HMRC apparently plan to cover the entire country with 13 offices.

Yes. The brave new future for HMRC, with desk sharing modern offices, no carparking & handy for universities.

Any readers in Cornwall etc will be up against tough local ex-HMRC competition, not least as the payoffs are funding early retirement aka new business startups on the Other Side Of The Wall.

You do have to wonder what the senior execs of HMRC are drinking, given what the Tory leadership hopefuls are admitting to.
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brexit may be hard soft or detained for questioning, but there's still food out there beyond the supermarket supply chain - it just takes identification.

Foragers guides include
    Wild food - Roger Phillips
    Food for Free Richard Mabey
    River Cottage - any of the Handbook series

Says she thinking I ought to get some of the herbs into the dehydrator but also that since Morrisons had nets of mangoes to ripen, I need to make more chutney. Dare I try two processes at once?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Today they're changing the old guard in the European Parliament for a new set of leaders, some very unfamiliar faces and not well known names from different countries, yet to be approved by the 28 members but still the same old intransigence about not renegotiating anything relating to Brexit is flowing over the airwaves again. Some of our own UK political parties are trying to manoeuvre themselves into prominence by offering deals on conditions favourable to their party members with other political parties and their stated aim is to stop Brexit from happening and if possible to have another referendum. It feels like being on a Hamster Wheel without the availability of an exit and we just go round and round and round.....nothing changes, nothing is achieved and no progress is made …..I'm beginning to understand the real meaning of the word tedious! I shall however still keep building my stocks and useful things because no one has yet written an ending to this farce either a happy one or not!
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re medication. I need three different sets of eye drops for glaucoma and over the past 12 months, , by stretching them to last for a calendar month instead of a strict 28 days I,ve been able to build up a small additional emergency supply.

The advice leaflet says "dispose of any surplus after 28 days" but I reckon that using them for an extra 3 days when they are kept permanently refrigerated is hopefully unlikely to be a major issue , given that all the drops are well within expiry date.

Perhaps somebody with medical/scientific knowledge on here will care to correct me if my assumption is wrong.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I will ask my GP daughter when I next speak to her and find out for you Primrose.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mrs LW. I've had widely different reactions to this move from one person telling me I'll be walking with a white stick for doing this and another saying it will probably make no difference at all. Neither have any medical knowledge though!
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You might ask the pharmacist next time you collect your prescription, he ought to have the information as he'll know the rate of deterioration of the product once it's been opened and it may even be that after the 28 days even if it has been stored in the fridge they can't guarantee that it will still be sterile and safe to use. I will check with Ruth though next time I speak to her and hopefully be able to give you the safe answer and peace of mind xxx.