Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 485.9K views

Replies

• MingVaseMingVase Forumite
    326 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Re politicians - sometimes they do it. But only when they want votes and sympathy and people on their side!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It's never easy to admit you're in the wrong but sometimes it's necessary for the greater good, even if it's a wrong not of your making and you've been caught up in it through no fault of your own. It is sometimes necessary to stand up and be counted!
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p Gove is being sorry about his former cocaine use today. Bless.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p Gove is being sorry about his former cocaine use today. Bless.

I hope he never used a plastic straw for it:D
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farway wrote: »
    I hope he never used a plastic straw for it:D
    :D Probably used a rolled-up £50 note, which is made of rag paper and biodegradable.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how many Tory leader wannabes will this rule out, if any?

I'm somewhat smitten with the somehow very traditional raving eccentricity of Rory Stewart one time opium user. His cv has an awful lot of the fine old traditional alongside the monster raving loon. That he has a face the cartoonists can surely only Yearn to get at maybe more helpful.

Just some of his ideas are appalling, but then Rees-Mogg isn't a poster child for sensible either. Mind, of all the Tories, each of them has a few ideas I'd personally want to see shoved into the back of a car under a blanket & Never See Again...
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mind, of all the Tories, each of them has a few ideas I'd personally want to see shoved into the back of a car under a blanket & Never See Again...
    I see the latest ""new idea" is abolish VAT & replace with new defined tax, here's an idea, let's call it Purchase Tax, and it could be wrapped in Green eco blanket and [mis] sold as a huge advance and also saving the planet
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm very sceptical about all these new wrappers. The government still needs taxes to pay for the NHS, school, police and other essentials.

Some taxes are obviously too high or in part unfair and need to be reformed but taxation will still have to exist.

I personally would like them to start on HMRC who seem to be a law unto themselves with no regulator and some very unfair decisions made by them being highlighted in the financial press. Yes, I know they have a job to do but I think the public would feel less aggrieved if they felt they were subject to the same regulations as other institutions. Rant over as we're now going rather off topic!
  • dreamingdreaming Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Primrose wrote: »
    I'm very sceptical about all these new wrappers. The government still needs taxes to pay for the NHS, school, police and other essentials.

Some taxes are obviously too high or in part unfair and need to be reformed but taxation will still have to exist.

I personally would like them to start on HMRC who seem to be a law unto themselves with no regulator and some very unfair decisions made by them being highlighted in the financial press. Yes, I know they have a job to do but I think the public would feel less aggrieved if they felt they were subject to the same regulations as other institutions. Rant over as we're now going rather off topic!

Maybe people wouldn't mind paying taxes if they knew where it was going. I have heard some (supposedly) intelligent people grumbling that they don't know why they even have to pay income tax and national insurance. Maybe if it was called "supporting the NHS/education/roads/defence/pensions etc. Tax" it would be a bit more palatable. Not quite so catchy as VEE-AY-TEE I know but I was never sure where the Value was being Added anyway. I have often thought that I would vote for the party that says "this is how much it costs to run good, but basic services, and this is how much you are going to have to pay", rather than the ones who reckon they can promise the earth and reduce taxes at the same time.
    Brexit prepping - I have started to use up some of the stash on a one-out-one-in basis as some of the use-by dates are getting shorter, but also have thought that I need to change some of the items to more wintery stuff as I thought (hoped) it would all be over by Autumn:(
  • MingVaseMingVase Forumite
    326 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'm the same, using up the stash and will replace it in Sept/Oct.