Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 485.9K views

Replies

• villagelifevillagelife Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Primrose are you using the drops as frequently as you should. Please don't use less than advised to as then your st pressure may not be well controlled.

Drops last for 28 days after being opened and may not be sterile enough after this and there is a risk of infection.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm using my drops religiously. I'm not missing applications to make them last the extra couple of days.
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A colleague of mine has met a bloke who's prepping for Brexit the hard way. He's proposed to her, and will ultimately get an Irish passport like hers. (She's delighted, so we're all hoping it'll pan out well for her. I'm mildly wondering if a bigamous marriage would get me an Irish passport. I suspect not.)

Since my family tree climbing has not turned up any conveniently near Irish relatives I am now trying to find the name of the chap tho knocked up my great grandma when she was in service. The things we do, the depths we'll stoop to, with this inflammatory bonfire of vanities etc looming...
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p I wonder if, at some future point, the Irish passport might become a tainted brand, as customs posts across the world grow wise to the fact that many of its bearers have beggar-all connection to the Emerald Isle and are Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Americans etc. The mere possession of the green document might be a red flag (pun intended).

Perhaps the newly-Irish should visit the Ould Country, familiarise themselves with some particular part so they can reminisce about it like a native and adopt the brogue?

;) Just beware of the Kerry accent. The rest of the Irish take the p out of Kerrymen for being thick. And yes, I have been there and the experience left me with a fund of interesting anecdotes. :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • marybmaryb Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm an Irish citizen automatically because both parents were born in Ireland though I haven't bothered to get an Irish passport. The girls have got citizenship through me because I entered them on the register of Foreign Births. But they changed the rules about ten years ago and DH can't get citizenship through marriage unless we go and live in Ireland for two years. Normally you have to be resident for, I think, five years, so it's a concession but you have to be serious about becoming Irish resident
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll mention that to the lass before she goes looking for the wedding frock. Mind the groom may be all for a couple of years residency.

Planted blueberry bushes (car boot sourced, lots of healthy roots) to hope for a range of fruit, regardless of the politicians...
  • grunniegrunnie Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    The best bit for me in prepping is when you are ill and can't get out you can shop your cupboards. On a self catering holiday and just filled the boot with stuff from the cupboards and fridge and freezer.No trailing round the supermarket and all things i like to eat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just when you feel that things have possibly got to the point where Brexit will simmer on the back boiler until it is as thick as glue before anything is actually decided, agreed and approved.....or not.....there pops up a headline that says the EU (New elite thereof) is prepared to grant Boris Johnson an extension from the 31st October to discuss a no deal Brexit and give time to come to some agreement. I was confused by the whole shennanegins right through the whole process from the referendum to the result to the total shambles that is our elected parliament school playground 'in fighting' with each other because they all want their own individual way but am now completely mystified as I was under the impression from Mr. Junker, Mr Barnier and Mr Tusk that there was no further action to be taken on either side. I wonder are we going to get an agreed deal Brexit, a NO Deal Brexit or what?

I am going to up the ante on preps not just for food but by finding some warm clothes and blankets to snuggle under should fuel prices become exorbitant (no reason why they will but I worry), look at hand tools rather than electric for the kitchen as well as the household maintenance and invest in some good old fashioned Kilner Jars to that I can bottle fruit and veg (I know you have to be careful with veg because of the possibility of botulism but I have an American Pressure Canner so that will let me do so safely) and brush up on my sewing skills, my herbalism for medicines and invest in as many 'how to' books as I feel we need to maintain all we have. Thoroughly confused by politics and politicians!!!
  • mumfmumf Forumite
    266 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I think the Iran /Gulf situation could easily skew fuel prices upwards,so any preps in that direction may be good.
  • kah22kah22 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    You guys on here really do surprise, you are acting like world war 3 is about to happen. Do you really, really think there will be that much shortages ?

In all honesty would you vote the same way again taking into account all the information that has come out since the referendum. Would you welcome a second vote on the terms of the deal.

For myself I live in Northern Ireland so even if there is a major supply hitch I’m just 35 minutes away from the Republic. And in case you are wondering there are over 300 unapproved crossings.

I do think the English in particular really got it wrong, and now Boris. I sense Scottish and Irish unity.
    Kevin